BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Mind Trap #250 - Hunting Tales

Question:

Art Bragg claimed that, while on an African safari hunting a vicious lion, he slipped and broke his foor. Not to be put off, he managed to continue on long enough to track the lion and kill it. Then he said that while he wasat the North Pole during the dead of the winter, he caught a terrible cold, but was able to track and kill a polar bear. Then, to top it off, while in a small boat off the coast of Florida, he was able to catch and land a shark, in spite of the fact that his arm was badly sprained. Although Art's tales are hard to believe, on what point do you know he is lying?

yes/No question are allowed, not same poster asking twice in a row.

Good Luck!

PS. I cant be bothered to proof read this puzzle, myappoligies in advance for any mistakes (spelling/gramma)

Edit: Changed titles

Edited by taliesin

Is the land Shark on land or is it just called a 'land' shark?? <_<

I think in fishing 'to land' is to 'bring on baord the ship'.. Thats my guess though, any fishermen out there to confirm?

it's rather dark in the dead of the winter at the north pole - in fact, it's dark for months, I think. How could he track a polar bear in the dark?

I know is dark or sunny for almost 6 months at a time. Not sure if its winter or summer when it happens. He might have a big tourch and carry around alot of spare batteries..

Nice try, I can see how you have a well though out answer ( I would wondering if this would come up) however it's not the answer on the card. :(

Any more suggestions?

It depends on how literally you take the phrase "North Pole." Polar bears live in the Arctic, but have never been seen at the North Pole itself, because there is very little else up there for a polar bear to eat. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_pole#Flora_and_fauna

So depending on how close he was to the precise North Pole, that may or may not be possible.

Also, the North Pole would be in perpetual darkness during "the dead of winter," but I don't think that's an insurmountable obstacle.

I think I got it?

When he tells polar bear story. In the dead of winter, polar bears are either south of the north pole, leaving none to hunt; or if they're at the north pole, they're hibernating - making tracking and hunting impossible.

Being I'm from Canada, I hope I get this correct. :)

I'm going with Polar Bears don't live at the (geographic) north pole, they live farther south.

Isn't Ottawa about 8,000 miles (5,000km) from the North Pole?

Polar bears hibernate for months during the winter. He'd never have seen one.

Thats quite cleaver.. Ill give you that.

However there is still ANOTHER answer as well (the answer on the card)

Remember you's can ask yes/no questions to narrow the answer down

I think I got it?

When he tells polar bear story. In the dead of winter, polar bears are either south of the north pole, leaving none to hunt; or if they're at the north pole, they're hibernating - making tracking and hunting impossible.

Good answer!

the polar bears don't come even close to the North Pole, where there is nothing but ice. They live in the Arctic, but near the water where they can catch fish and seal and sometimes even a whale to eat.

I'm going with Polar Bears don't live at the (geographic) north pole, they live farther south.

No its, not this tricky sorry

That the extreme temperature at the north pole would make it difficult for the cold virus to survive?

Congradulations, you have the answer on the card, however there have been some other good answers. 12 points to all (because im just woken up, and in a happy mood)

According to the card, the cold germs cant survive the extreme tempatures of the North Pole at winter.

Well done all

Edited by taliesin

Well done all

According to the card, the cold germs cant survive the extreme tempatures of the North Pole at winter.

Is there any way to file a formal complaint with the Mind Trap people? Because I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

First, there are over a hundred different viruses which can cause the common cold, and they are all constantly mutating. Is it really inconceivable that any of them could survive in temperatures of -20 F, which is about the warmest it gets in the winter at the north pole?

Or are they saying the virus inside the body would immediately die upon exposure to cold weather? That seems pretty preposterous, since the internal body temperature would remain nearly constant. Even if he didn't catch the cold at the North Pole, he could have brought it with him.

Also, do they suppose that he went to the North Pole without any form of shelter (where the temperature would be warmer, and the virus would spread more easily)? He presumably would have gone with a team of people, any one of whom could have been carrying a cold virus and spread it to the others within the closed confines of their tent (or whatever shelter they had).

What if he was experiencing cold-like symptoms without actually being infected with a particular cold virus? That's definitely a common phenomenon, and it's even more likely to be brought about by cold temperatures (see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold#E...o_cold_weather). If he felt like he had a cold, but didn't, does that make him a liar? I don't think so.

Is there any way to file a formal complaint with the Mind Trap people? Because I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

First, there are over a hundred different viruses which can cause the common cold, and they are all constantly mutating. Is it really inconceivable that any of them could survive in temperatures of -20 F, which is about the warmest it gets in the winter at the north pole?

Or are they saying the virus inside the body would immediately die upon exposure to cold weather? That seems pretty preposterous, since the internal body temperature would remain nearly constant. Even if he didn't catch the cold at the North Pole, he could have brought it with him.

Also, do they suppose that he went to the North Pole without any form of shelter (where the temperature would be warmer, and the virus would spread more easily)? He presumably would have gone with a team of people, any one of whom could have been carrying a cold virus and spread it to the others within the closed confines of their tent (or whatever shelter they had).

What if he was experiencing cold-like symptoms without actually being infected with a particular cold virus? That's definitely a common phenomenon, and it's even more likely to be brought about by cold temperatures (see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold#E...o_cold_weather). If he felt like he had a cold, but didn't, does that make him a liar? I don't think so.

Sounds like you have done some reasearch on it.. I dont write the question or answers..

Im sure you could complain to mind trap, hopfully I dont get in trouble for posting their questions/answers in a public place (copyright laws etc)

Is the land Shark on land or is it just called a 'land' shark?? <_<

If you "land a shark" or any other fish, you have succeeded in getting it completely out of the water and in the boat or on the bank.

Sorry if this has already been answered, I haven't read all the posts... now back to the the puzzle :)

If you "land a shark" or any other fish, you have succeeded in getting it completely out of the water and in the boat or on the bank.

Sorry if this has already been answered, I haven't read all the posts... now back to the the puzzle :)

Thanks for that confirmation!