BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

A First Time for Everything?

Question

A young boy was annoyed with his father's favorite saying: "There's a first time for everything." Determined to prove his father wrong, he stayed up all night, until he finally found the one existing thing that there was no first time for.

What is the exception to this age old rule?

This depends on how narrowly you define any given "thing." For example, if you create any logical paradox or an infinity loop, you can evade a "first time;" but if you add a further defining characteristic to the example, you then modify the paradox or loop to have a "first".

For example - existance. If you define existance as coming from something else, then you loop into deconstructing God or the Big Bang. However, if you then define existance of humans, you have a defining start point and a "first time". Same is true of time - you always have a moment before the moment, but if you define it further - time as we know it, or time in this universe, then you have a "first time".

Just my 2 centavos.

I was thinking that maybe their isn't a first time for something that's impossible, I can't give any examples though, without someone saying it might happen in the future, or offending religious people.

There will never be a first time for an unstoppable missile to come in contact with an indistructable barrier!

Technically when this happens one will be stopped or destroyed and negate the description of said object!

There will never be a first time for an unstoppable missile to come in contact with an indistructable barrier!

A condition of the puzzle is "he finally found the one existing thing that there was no first time for". Since your scenario can not possibly exist, that can't be the answer.

Parents usually invoke the phrase when the child resists doing

something s/he's never done before and doesn't want to do -

an event whose first occurrence is in the future.

I don't want to get a job - I've never had a job.

Well, there's a first time for everything ... get a job!

But the question refers to something that [a] already exists

but had no first occurrence. It's not a discrete event -

it would then have the property of a time [and therefore a

first time] and place - but rather a condition that is true,

and that always was true: not having an initial moment,

when it first became true.

What has always been true?

Could it be parents saying there's a first time for everything?

A cute answer, but not valid, since there was a first parent.

Could it be anything within the realm of human experience?

No, because there was a first human.

Could it be a property of any material thing?

No, because in all likelihood there was a big bang.

Could it be something metaphysical? God?

Perhaps, but that would be recognized only by those with a particular belief system.

The boy seemed more certain than that.

I'm curious to hear the answer.

I too am interested to hear the answer to the riddle.

My first response was GOD. But also we must remember that the solution is a thing. GOD is not a thing but a Being.

Then I went back to the question, wherin usually lies the key.

The boy stayed up all night until he found the one thing that was the exception.

I believe the answer has to do with dawn, or our sleep cycle. Though I am not certain of the answer, I AM certain that one of you will come up with it.

Hurry up for goodness sake, I've been working on this for 24 hours now.

Peace

Best I could come up with so far is....

The creation, or beginning of time. There was no First beginning of time because Time did not exist before it was created to measure what "first" was and thus the "First" happens at the same time as any OTHER creation of time... that's kind of far-fetched and a little philisophical, but it seems to make sense.

For the people that are looking for things that only happen once (such as your birth or death or 7th birday, etc) that would also be the first time, so that doesn't work.

And I don't think it's time, cuz if time DID come into being, this 'time' that we are 'in' is the 'first time' literally. And its too metaphysical, and as bonanova said, the boy seemed sure, so it's not something religious i hope.

So my best guess would be for something thats IMPOSSIBLE but people might say NOTHING'S IMPOSSIBLE so... yeah... how about something truthfully saying that "This statement is a lie" or some sort of paradox...?

Yeah I'm interested to hear the answer too.

Maybe the first time for something that happens with another pair since it goes from 0 to 2? But then that would be the first time for a pair to happen...? Hmm this is a good one! ;D

Where oh where has our riddler gone? where oh where could he be?

anyone else heard this one before? it sounds familiar but I'm also starting to think I've been sent into a round room and asked to pee in the corner.

Peace

I Dug this one up from the archives, but it's pretty clear the OP will not be around to post the answer he/she had in mind:

I'm also interested if there are any other new ideas for this one. I'd have to say...

Black. A clue within the riddle is that the kid was up all night (the night sky being black). Since black is the absence of color how can there be a first time for it?

He realizes there will never be a first time for someone proving that something doesn't have a first time.

But in doing so, he proves that something doesn't have a first time, so he proves himself false. He creates a paradox :huh:

What about time itself in a watch? What's the first time in a watch? 12am? but wouldn't this just be the continuation of the time the day before or something like that... i believe the answer strings along this idea and it does have something to do with the kid staying up all night.

I think there is another one!

It has been mentioned on this site various times, but not fot this reason.

My edit was to add an age old expression!

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression

Edited by Lost in space

An exception to the rule itself. Since there is nothing that which has not already been done, had a first, the only thing without a first is the exception to the rule.