BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

Disclaimer: This puzzle depicts fictional events with fictional characters. Any resemblance to real members is *purely* a coincidence...;P

Archaeologists have just uncovered the Death Tablet, a stone tablet with the rules that if you carve someone's name onto it they will die in exactly 2 hours and 3 minutes. Since it takes a while to carve into a stone table, the 2 hours and 3 minutes is counted from the exact expected mean of the time it takes to carve all of the letters of the name into the tablet.

CPenguin carved on the tablet from between 13:56-14:03

CLv2.0 carved on the tablet from between 14:17-14:25

GCoughBR carved on the tablet from 14:35-14:44

BEV1spMEB carved on the tablet from 15:01-15:13

Aizen carved on the tablet from between 15:37-15:47

Fr0wzd carved on the tablet from between 15:46-:15:55

Unreality died at exactly 17:00. Who killed him?

Edit: Fixed. Clarification.

Edited by Yoruichi-san

I think I've solved my own murder ;D

Fr0wzd

:P

Is this a ghost post! It makes me so angry when people cant get the color codes right - :D

ps in june 20'something you screamed yeah! my 1000th post :o

okay...

i have done the math over and over, and if i have done it right (which im sure i haven't however i cant see any other options)

CPenguin is the killer

but im probably wrong again

my reasoning

"unreality" has 9 letters. The only times divisible by 9 are GCoughBR and Fr0wnzd. You already said GC was wrong so I guessed the other one ;D

Yes, it does...but that doesn't mean the killer has 9 letters...but it means something else...BTSC, real unreality, BTSC...;P

I guess "expected mean" means half the time it takes to carve the name counting from the time someone started to carve the name.

In that case the killers are:

The killers are the last 4 persons:

GCoughBR

BEV1spMEB

Aizen

Fr0wzd

In such manner:

GCoughBR took her first 4 minutes to finish off somebody else. (From 14:35 to 14:39). Then she started working on Unreality at exactly 14:39. The three guys who came after her continued to carve "Unreality" all their alloted time.

Thus between the 4 of them they spent 5+12+10+9=36 min carving "Unreality". Whereas: 14:39 + 36/2 = 14:57 = 17:00 - 2:03.

Next time, please choose simpler names for your archeologists.

So it takes 2 hours and 3 mins to kill the person, starting from the mean time it takes to carve all of the letters onto the tablet, and unreality died at precisely 17:00. Therefore unreality's name was carved at the time of 14:57. Seeing as how no one was carving at that precise time, evidently CPenguin is in a different time zone that unreality and carved the name from 13:56-14:03 (avg time of 13:59:50) his time, 14:56-15:03 unreality's time. Assuming CPenguin had more than one enemy he wanted out of the way it is quite possible that he finished writing Unreality's name by 13:57 his time, 14:57 in Unreality's time, and killed unreality at 17:00

Hows that for a convoluted theory.

Unreality got sniped by a terrorist and his death had nothing at all to do with the tablet

Or

GcoughBR carved much faster than expected so despite the fact that he finished at 14:44 the tablet didn't think he was done until 14:57, and killed unreality at 17:00

Edited by slaer

I guess "expected mean" means half the time it takes to carve the name counting from the time someone started to carve the name.

In that case the killers are:

The killers are the last 4 persons:

GCoughBR

BEV1spMEB

Aizen

Fr0wzd

In such manner:

GCoughBR took her first 4 minutes to finish off somebody else. (From 14:35 to 14:39). Then she started working on Unreality at exactly 14:39. The three guys who came after her continued to carve "Unreality" all their alloted time.

Thus between the 4 of them they spent 5+12+10+9=36 min carving "Unreality". Whereas: 14:39 + 36/2 = 14:57 = 17:00 - 2:03.

Next time, please choose simpler names for your archeologists.

although your theory does make mathematical sense in the way you put it...i know MEAN defined as the sum of the numbers divided by the amount of numbers there not by half. so it would be 7+5+12+10+9=43/4.

Edit for: i agree with the guy above me.

Edited by solemnraven

Good, it looks like ppl do want to solve Unreality's murder after all ;P.

Good thinking guys, but by expected mean I mean a weighted mean (how to calculate an expectation value)

If two ppl carved the 9 letters, the time for death would be counted from a time closer to the one who carved more letters...

;)

Good, it looks like ppl do want to solve Unreality's murder after all ;P.

Good thinking guys, but by expected mean I mean a weighted mean (how to calculate an expectation value)

If two ppl carved the 9 letters, the time for death would be counted from a time closer to the one who carved more letters...

;)

Dang u. Well, now that u have turned this into nothing more complicated that a fancy math problem, hang on Unreality, i'm settling in with my abacus and expect to have an answer soon.

One ?, do we assume that each person takes the same amount of time per letter or not?