BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

What is the longest word in the English language that was not made only to be the longest word none coined and none technical(a.k.a. not made just to be the longest word). What is its' meaning.

Edited by SoKrisky

Methinks it has been done - but not as a single topic - put your word (anwer) in the search - you will find out

Pepsi and Mcdonalds are exluded i pressume

Welome to the best forum in the Universe

Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism - an inherited disorder that is caused by a mutation in the Gαs gene imprinted on the paternal chromosome or it could be as simple as smiles as there is a mile between each s

I searched it and nothing came up so people keep guessing.:)!And thanks this forum is AWESOME!

I think its SUPERCALIFRAGELISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS. It mean its the longest word and that's just it. It come from the movie Mary Poppins.

Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism - an inherited disorder that is caused by a mutation in the Gαs gene imprinted on the paternal chromosome or it could be as simple as smiles as there is a mile between each s

or it could be Antidisestablishmentarianism - is a political position that originated in nineteenth-century Britain

yeah Wikipedia gives those exact definitions.

I would of thought it would be that word from Mary Poppins. What was it again? <_<

maybe classed as technical but..

Pneumonoultramicrocopicsilicovolcanoconiosis~which is the true name for 'miners disease'. It is caused by the inhalation of fine quartz dust(silicate).

Im going to give the answer now. If you research the longest words. The longest non-coined and non-technical word is Antidisestablishmentarianism. It is a political position that originated in the 19th century Britain. This means that this word was not made just to become the longest word. Congrats to harissmojo!

Edited by SoKrisky

Im going to give the answer now. If you research the longest words. The longest non-coined and non-technical word is Antidisestablishmentarianism. It is a political position that originated in the 19th century Britain. This means that this word was not made just to become the longest word. Congrats to harissmojo!

there is also pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism..(34 letters) which is a false opposition

and also ultraantidisestablishmentarianism..(33 letters) which is the extreme opposition to the state support from a church

it is either

a) pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (49 letters); which is some lung disease I learned about in 4th grade

or

b) smiles, cause there's a mile in between!

it is either

a) pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (49 letters); which is some lung disease I learned about in 4th grade

or

b) smiles, cause there's a mile in between!

No, it is not Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, as the OP says that it couldn't have originated for the prupose of a long word.

Here's Wikipedia's definition of it:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, "a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust causing inflammation in the lungs. Occurring chiefly as an instance of a very long word." It was coined to serve as the longest English word and is the longest word ever to appear in an English language dictionary. It is listed in the current edition of several dictionaries. A condition meeting the word's definition is normally called silicosis.

It's actually pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniosis... now see if you can break it into parts to decipher it's meaning...don't cheat... :-) I've used this activity to help students learn how to decode and encode etc.

It's actually pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniosis... now see if you can break it into parts to decipher it's meaning...don't cheat... :-) I've used this activity to help students learn how to decode and encode etc.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis:

Pneumono: meaning it has to do with the lungs

Ultramicroscopic: meaning that it's very very very tiny

Silico: is the particle you're breathing in

Volcano: is where the silica comes from

Coniosis: I have no idea but I'm guessing that it means that it means it's a medical issue?

Lol when I first heard that word I got the definition right before I ever looked it up on the internet.

Then I did to make sure and I almost got it word for word :D