BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This thread is for discussions on what you think about peace.

I haven't said where I stand yet, so I'll start off.

Not long ago I was one of those cynics who thought peace "ain't gonna happen", and that you need war to really feel the true value of proper peace. But it was easy for me to say that because I've never had to live in a wartorn country in fear for my life. In the past few few weeks my view has changed a lot. I think if we can stop our wars with our fellow man, let's. War is unnecessary.

Edited by lemonymelon

• Answers 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think we should do something. Some kind of peaceful thing. Like an "everyone wears a certain colour" day or like a peace walkout or something. Something to show we want world peace. And with the wonder that is chain emails (but not evil ones hehehe) i think this could work. Well, possibly. Well, I don't know. just a thought as this club hasn't really done much yet.

I think we should do something. Some kind of peaceful thing. Like an "everyone wears a certain colour" day or like a peace walkout or something. Something to show we want world peace. And with the wonder that is chain emails (but not evil ones hehehe) i think this could work. Well, possibly. Well, I don't know. just a thought as this club hasn't really done much yet.
The best thing right now I think is just spread the word as much as possible to have alot of recognition. Unless someone cares to start a peace website of our own. Don't look at me, I'm unable.

Chain emails requires exposing your address that most of us keep discreet purposely. I was thinking of this club being involved in a sharing way. One idea, was to share our favorite food recipes with the whole world. If any of you would like to start a Peace Club favorite recipes topic, please do so. I may not have enough time to keep with it. I also think no one cares. :( I can add some recipes otherwise. :D

Wrong thread my pal. :)
okay - cancelling my thoughts of mailing to john prine, Brain May N Dave Gilmore just thought a music get together wld help the club. That wld'v bn awesome

The best thing right now I think is just spread the word as much as possible to have alot of recognition. Unless someone cares to start a peace website of our own. Don't look at me, I'm unable.

Chain emails requires exposing your address that most of us keep discreet purposely. I was thinking of this club being involved in a sharing way. One idea, was to share our favorite food recipes with the whole world. If any of you would like to start a Peace Club favorite recipes topic, please do so. I may not have enough time to keep with it. I also think no one cares. :( I can add some recipes otherwise. :D

yes pls lets sit at home and eat by ourselves - my fav is vegatable lasagne, mostly with bell peppers, oh and for breakfast I like egg n milk blended and soaked in bread then fried with a little salt n pepper - not the girl singers the condiments

vented with levity and i'm bttr for it

okay - cancelling my thoughts of mailing to john prine, Brain May N Dave Gilmore just thought a music get together wld help the club. That wld'v bn awesome

yes pls lets sit at home and eat by ourselves - my fav is vegatable lasagne, mostly with bell peppers, oh and for breakfast I like egg n milk blended and soaked in bread then fried with a little salt n pepper - not the girl singers the condiments

vented with levity and i'm bttr for it

I'm open to anything that will help promote the club and esp. world peace. Music may need a different thread though. Same with the recipe sharing.

If no one objects then I'm for it as a club project.

I'm open to anything that will help promote the club and esp. world peace. Music may need a different thread though. Same with the recipe sharing.

If no one objects then I'm for it as a club project.

good thinking

we needed to start chucking some ideas around.

good thinking

How about we have a contest to see who can write the best letter, to convince non-believers, that world peace is worth striving for. I am noticing also, that some of us think it will never happen.

Just because something has not happened, does not mean it never will. ;):D Does not mean it can't. ;)

QUOTE (akaslickster @ Aug 29 2008, 03:48 PM)

Why do you want to support negative feelings toward peace? If everyone felt that way then what do you think it would be like? eh? Sounds to me that winners never quit and quitters never win.

Quote Ploper

Now, now, whoever said I supported negative feelings toward peace? I think peace would be nice, and so would an overwhelming portion of the 6 billion people we're sharing this rock with.

However, it's just something that will not happen.

Wars can be fought for power, and often are. And I'm not gonna buy it if you say you can just get rid of power hungry people. Who have the ability to find a group of sheep to follow them and eventually create an army, through the promise of power.

I don't imagine the world being much different, if everyone felt as I did, other than being completely monotone and boring becuse everyone has the same views on the matter.

I don't see many wars, or even petty conflicts, being caused purely because the antagonist thought that world peace was not possible.

I'm sorry, but I see little more than a pretty-sounding idealism in the subject of world peace.

I'd quit my quitting, but that very act would make me a quitter

Edited by akaslickster

Guess what? If I felt that world peace will never happen, I would tell everyone to quit wasting their valuable time talking about it and to stop with the clubs and not to give a darn.

Those who believe that change is not possible are closed-minded and do not want to see others giving it a try. The majority of our members in this club do, believe change for the better is possible even if it is one little fight at a time. If people are not too stubborn to cooperate, anything can be achieved. Power to the Peace Club

QUOTE (akaslickster @ Aug 30 2008, 02:56 PM)

Guess what? If I felt that world peace will never happen, I would tell everyone to quit wasting their valuable time talking about it and to stop with the clubs and not to give a darn.

Quote Ploper

Well, hey, never said it wasn't an interesting discussion to read and be a part of... well, it WAS anyways.

Now the only bit of "discussion" going on in that thread is about how to promote peace and the club. (A very silly concept, in my opinion seeing as most people know what peace is, and are aware that it is a good thing.) And that has proven to be a very boring discussion indeed.

Also, in order for world peace to be achieved, you would have to convince (or force, if they're the stubborn folk) everyone to think the same way. Even if that way of thinking is simply to respect and accept other people's differences. Unless you want to create a world-wide govornment with an iron fist, there is very little you could do than accept the peoples' words that they will be peaceful.

Also, war is terrible, everyone knows it (hopefully) yet sometimes, it's just plain unavoidable.

I'm suddenly reminded of a thread started by LIS, around when he first joined, I believe, about when it is necessary to go to war.

I think both Unreality and I gave a few situations. I'll find you the name of the thread, because I'd like you to read some of it.

(just ignore the parts consisting of Unreality and I bickering with LIS . Sorry about that, LIS.)

Okay, well, can't seem to find that thread . Either I passed it twice, or it's further back than I had imagined.

Edited by akaslickster

Those who believe that change is not possible are closed-minded and do not want to see others giving it a try. The majority of our members in this club do, believe change for the better is possible even if it is one little fight at a time. If people are not too stubborn to cooperate, anything can be achieved. Power to the Peace Club

QUOTE (akaslickster @ Aug 30 2008, 02:56 PM)

Quote Ploper

Well, hey, never said it wasn't an interesting discussion to read and be a part of... well, it WAS anyways.

Now the only bit of "discussion" going on in that thread is about how to promote peace and the club. (A very silly concept, in my opinion seeing as most people know what peace is, and are aware that it is a good thing.) And that has proven to be a very boring discussion indeed.

Also, in order for world peace to be achieved, you would have to convince (or force, if they're the stubborn folk) everyone to think the same way. Even if that way of thinking is simply to respect and accept other people's differences. Unless you want to create a world-wide govornment with an iron fist, there is very little you could do than accept the peoples' words that they will be peaceful.

Also, war is terrible, everyone knows it (hopefully) yet sometimes, it's just plain unavoidable.

I'm suddenly reminded of a thread started by LIS, around when he first joined, I believe, about when it is necessary to go to war.

I think both Unreality and I gave a few situations. I'll find you the name of the thread, because I'd like you to read some of it.

(just ignore the parts consisting of Unreality and I bickering with LIS . Sorry about that, LIS.)

Okay, well, can't seem to find that thread . Either I passed it twice, or it's further back than I had imagined.

If you really give a heck about world peace then you are welcome to help us spread the word. If not, then tell everyone that they are fighting a lost cause and we should stop boring you. We would hate to make you uncomfortable with our sillyness. :D

If you really give a heck about world peace then you are welcome to help us spread the word. If not, then tell everyone that they are fighting a lost cause and we should stop boring you. We would hate to make you uncomfortable with our sillyness. :D

Why does the word need spreading?

I believe most people in power are aware of what peace is, and what it would take to achieve.

However, wars are still waged.

I might be able to do the website thing. I've done it before, for fun, but i might be able to do it for you guys (and girls).

Tell me yes or no.

If so, tell me what you want.

Thanks!!

How about we have a contest to see who can write the best letter, to convince non-believers, that world peace is worth striving for. I am noticing also, that some of us think it will never happen.

Just because something has not happened, does not mean it never will. ;):D Does not mean it can't. ;)

Good point. The only way to do this is to believe in it. Then we can really start to achive something! :)

good thinking

I know i'm putting a lot of post up at once, but here's another one:

good idea lemonymelon! here are some random ideas....

1)t-shirts

2)letters (to who? i don't know but with the word of peace

3)posters

4)website

5).......... (anybody else?)

Righty ho! I've joined the club (somewhat reluctantly since wanting world peace seems like such a banal statement it's hardly worth making). Of course I don't like war. Who does? Even warmongers probably don't like war, they just consider it useful.

The reason I've joined is so I can bang on about that very banality. For example, I've noticed a few statements of "NO TO TERROR" or similar knocking about. Am I the only one who wants to beat my head against a wall when faced with the word "terror" in that context? I can't say I actually like terror. I wouldn't enjoy being in a state of terror. But in this context the term was just coined by the Bush administration as a means of using 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq. Bush could get plenty of support for a "war on terrorism" but alas couldn't actually link Sadam to any terrorist activity, so the "war on terrorism" got shortened to a "war on terror". In other words a war on anything that frightens us. And they cultivated that terror with lies about WMDs. This vague compliant thinking, and the fear and ignorance that complements it, is the seed of wars.

The antidote to war is not peace. Peace is simply a lack of war. The antidote to war is free, independent thought.

Righty ho! I've joined the club (somewhat reluctantly since wanting world peace seems like such a banal statement it's hardly worth making). Of course I don't like war. Who does? Even warmongers probably don't like war, they just consider it useful.

The reason I've joined is so I can bang on about that very banality. For example, I've noticed a few statements of "NO TO TERROR" or similar knocking about. Am I the only one who wants to beat my head against a wall when faced with the word "terror" in that context? I can't say I actually like terror. I wouldn't enjoy being in a state of terror. But in this context the term was just coined by the Bush administration as a means of using 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq. Bush could get plenty of support for a "war on terrorism" but alas couldn't actually link Sadam to any terrorist activity, so the "war on terrorism" got shortened to a "war on terror". In other words a war on anything that frightens us. And they cultivated that terror with lies about WMDs. This vague compliant thinking, and the fear and ignorance that complements it, is the seed of wars.

The antidote to war is not peace. Peace is simply a lack of war. The antidote to war is free, independent thought.

Welcome to the Peace Club Octopuppy! I'm too peaceful to argue with everyone so, I will simply state that I never accepted war before , right now, nor in the future. If no one tries to end it then correct, it will never happen. There can be world peace if reasonable people will just try to get along. :D

so i guess ive joined so that makes me a... Peacian? Peacifist? Peacacologist? Peacacrat? Hippy?

I need to come up with a name for myself (and all of you)... pacifist is too boring

But i was thinking, all these people say that war will never end

(which kinda makes sense with human nature and the fact that the Bible says that the war between

Palestine and Israel will pretty much continue till the trumpets sound...)

But then i thought about the Miss America Pageant- I did a little Wiki-search and found out that it started in 1921.

If i did my caluculus math skills right, that was 87 years ago (including 2008)

And what do all the women fighting for the crown want most? Well, hoping no one lied, they all want world peace.

Which means we have 87 beautiful women helping us in our "fight" for world peace.

it's a done deal.

BTW- you might want to add the names of all the Miss America winners to the Peace Club roster...

How does a nation achieve independance when the country owning it considers itself a bit too high and mighty to even listen to the demands of these people, and the leader stubbornly refuses to grant them independance?

How does a nation achieve independance when the country owning it considers itself a bit too high and mighty to even listen to the demands of these people, and the leader stubbornly refuses to grant them independance?

Thats my point, war starts. :unsure:

It is not what we do or how we act, but by others who are effected by it. So in theory, there is no peace. :(

Thats my point, war starts. :unsure:

It is not what we do or how we act, but by others who are effected by it. So in theory, there is no peace. :(

exactly

Allright, this will most likely be my last post on this thread (unless anyone's response tempts me too much) Clearly, no one likes my disbelief in the possibility of world peace, (duh) And it seems they either want me to leave, or just shut up.

But I have two final quiestions.

First of all, let's say you come really close to achieving this world peace. In fact, just about every nation in the world has become a part of your... Would 'Worldwide Union' work?

However, as I'm sure you know, many cultures think of war and battle as a way of showing one's strength, honor, and worth.

You would be asking too much, to ask these nations to just turn their back on what they've believed in for so long, just because you say so.

So, this nation(s) remains stubbornly apart from your Worldwide Union.

How would you treat them? The same way you treated me? Have them just leave entirely, find some way off into Mars or something?

Or perhaps, you could turn Australia back into a prison. Just put everyone who's not for your peace idea on there, and be done with it.

You say that tolerance of people's differences is the key to peace, yet, here I come, with differences in my ideals, and I have not been accepted in this thread.

My second question is: For being a Peace Club "Discussion," no one here seems very fond of discussing anything at all.

I mean, a discussion is relatively pointless if you're not doing it with people who have different views on the subject.

In fact, the last few pages seems to have consisted of promotional ideas for the Club, such as T-shirts, a logo, banners etc.

if T-shirts are the key to world peace, then great, I've found it in the second drawer in the big wooden thingie in my room :D

I very eagerly await anyone's answer

Ploper has just nudged my memeory once a gain - Anthony Eden waving a piece of paper saying he has an agreement and was waving a piece of paper in the air waying that he had an agreemnet with adolph hitler - That was a socalled peace agrrement.

Also I am not happy that anyone discussing what peace really means (is it simply no wars, no noise or no wroudy wrebels that need stwiking to the floorw).

Perhaps we need a thread to discuss peace achievement - otherwise I'm not interested in 'just' wearing a T-shirt - after all this is a forum, grantede this thread is about peace but we need to establish that we are on the same page.

Ploper has just nudged my memeory once a gain - Anthony Eden waving a piece of paper saying he has an agreement and was waving a piece of paper in the air waying that he had an agreemnet with adolph hitler - That was a socalled peace agrrement.

Also I am not happy that anyone discussing what peace really means (is it simply no wars, no noise or no wroudy wrebels that need stwiking to the floorw).

Perhaps we need a thread to discuss peace achievement - otherwise I'm not interested in 'just' wearing a T-shirt - after all this is a forum, grantede this thread is about peace but we need to establish that we are on the same page.

There are no requirements after one signs up. I love that. Except to be respectful. No one needs to say anything. I am not pushing anyone to sign up or post. Perhaps many forgot about joining this discussion. I am still open to ideas from any of the 40 or so members to make this a place where peace may come more to life. :D I am sure that this discussion can become useful against war. :)

You talk of peace as if it was something you are able to hold in your hands! It is just a theory, and thats all we ever talk about. Theory's and probabilities... the true peace in this world is getting out there and making a difference. Pay it Forward if anyone has seen that movie. It doesnt hurt to try....

You talk of peace as if it was something you are able to hold in your hands! It is just a theory, and thats all we ever talk about. Theory's and probabilities... the true peace in this world is getting out there and making a difference. Pay it Forward if anyone has seen that movie. It doesnt hurt to try....
I thought the argue thread was down the road.

We can now begin with the peaceful discussion that was meant in the first place. Power to the Peace Club. :D

There are no requirements after one signs up. I love that. Except to be respectful. No one needs to say anything. I am not pushing anyone to sign up or post. Perhaps many forgot about joining this discussion. I am still open to ideas from any of the 40 or so members to make this a place where peace may come more to life. :D I am sure that this discussion can become useful against war. :)
What is the point slick of keep closing sown the replies as soon as they mention war, it's becoming anoying that you are constantly telling not to mention religion - though you have mentioned your own previous practice(s), or discuss war - which must be understood just as prostitution, drugs and unwanted pregnacies are dealt with ... Fact finding

Here is one idea to kick off with - petition each and every country for peace, ask them if they want peace, will stop wars, will disarm and will allow inspection (may need modification). Or we cld just recomend we all swap recepies. I am willing to learn about pasta dishes in particular

sorry if this irks you slick - I'm miffed at the over passive inactivity and closing down of replies

What is the point slick of keep closing sown the replies as soon as they mention war, it's becoming anoying that you are constantly telling not to mention religion - though you have mentioned your own previous practice(s), or discuss war - which must be understood just as prostitution, drugs and unwanted pregnacies are dealt with ... Fact finding

Here is one idea to kick off with - petition each and every country for peace, ask them if they want peace, will stop wars, will disarm and will allow inspection (may need modification). Or we cld just recomend we all swap recepies. I am willing to learn about pasta dishes in particular

sorry if this irks you slick - I'm miffed at the over passive inactivity and closing down of replies

If you want argue and debate then Blade set up for it. We obviously had some other intentions for a world peace discussion thread without what Blades thread has.

Pasta is easy if you know what you are dioing. I'm done with the argue stuff. I said my PEACE. :)