BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

• Answers 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

o ok, yea the last race ahsent happed yet, its a relay, i think hes going to win

im dissapointed b/c Spitz got 7 golds, all world records, setting the record in the something or other games(im not sure which) but people will probably forget he only got an olympic record in that event

The Phelps thing is really weighted- now don't get me wrong, he's amazing. But swimming is the ONLY sport in which one single person can get so many medals. Is it a coincidence that before Phelps, Mark Spitz, another uber-swimmer, had the most medals? No, it's not. There are lots of individual swimming events, and EACH one gives a medal. For the entire soccer/football tournament, which probably lasts the whole Olympics, only one gold medal is given. For gymnastics and diving and so on, only a few gold medals are given out. Track & Field is the only sport that may be able to rival the number of medals that Swimming pumps out, except one person cannot excel (at the Olympic level) at all of the Track & Field events, you need a completely different body/training for many of the events. I'm not trying to undercast Phelps' accomplishment, as he is the fastest human swimmer ever (not an understatement), but I think that shouldn't be used to show him as the 'greatest Olympian', cuz each sport is so different and gives varying numbers of medals

Well said, unreality! I totally agree

Phelps is a brilliant swimmer but not necessarily the greatest Olympian ever

Great Britain 3rd in the league table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P woooooo!!

Spitz and Phelps are uberswimmers period

Great testest of Olympians

Triathlon

Decathlon

marathon is awesome but they all vary according to location as each country varies with hills, road conditions and climate of course - other conditions are the same for all

best athlete is Paavo Nurmi in 1920, 1924, 1928 (banned from 1932 for being professional)

Yeah Phelps is amazing, i agree

am i the only one supporting Great Britain here?? :huh: I thought you'd by with me Lemonymelon but you said go all teams!! I'm sure you mean that, but surely you mean Go GB a little bit more?! ;)

I'm 100% for Team GB - I've even painted union jacks on my toenails!! :P (yep it was a little difficult!!) lol

You're not alone. Britannia rules the velodrome! And the sailing, and rowing. Go team GB! Still 3rd in the medals, if only Phelps was British we'd be beating the USA. Considering the size of our population that's pretty amazing. We pwn! :D:D:D

You're not alone. Britannia rules the velodrome! And the sailing, and rowing. Go team GB! Still 3rd in the medals, if only Phelps was British we'd be beating the USA.

yes, if all of the American and Chinese athletes were British, we'd be right at the top of the medal tables! lol

120 km is about 74.564 miles... that would take about an hour driving on the freeway. Think of how long it must take to speedwalk!

Whoa, nothing showed up :lol: I can't even bike like 1/10 of that! But its' probably just me... <_< ... and some of the gymnists (sp?) look about 12. Are 12 year olds even allowed in the Olympics?

~Kat

Edited by Kathleen

120 km is about 74.564 miles... that would take about an hour driving on the freeway. Think of how long it must take to speedwalk!

really? if I walk for about 5 miles my feet get ready to explode.... how do they do it? :o

Whoa, nothing showed up :lol: I can't even bike like 1/10 of that! But its' probably just me... <_< ... and some of the gymnists (sp?) look about 12. Are 12 year olds even allowed in the Olympics?

~Kat

i think the gymnasts are just petite but i dont see why a 12-year old shouldnt be allowed to compete

isn't that GB diver 14yo?

also does anyone think that the cyclist Bradley Wiggins looks like the musician Mike Oldfield? (yes i know random piece of trivia but i'm wondering if i'm going mad thinking they look alike)

i think the gymnasts are just petite but i dont see why a 12-year old shouldnt be allowed to compete

isn't that GB diver 14yo?

I thought there was some rule saying you had to be 16 or 14 or something...maybe I'm wrong :huh:

~Kat

Have you people seen the speedwalking? It is so funny to watch...although its like 120 km or something (ooh right, you guys have miles :rolleyes: ) Well its pretty far...

~Kat

I think it is 20 (not 120) km - but that's still a long way (12+ miles). And there is a longer (50km?) race, too.

I think it is 20 (not 120) km - but that's still a long way (12+ miles). And there is a longer (50km?) race, too.

It had a two in it somewhere... :D But the virtual map thing showed it as pretty far, I mean, go around the stadium, three or four laps outside, back inside for another lap...Just looks plain tiring -_-

~Kat

BALANCE BEAM = GOLD MEDAL FOR THE KLUTZ!!!!! Shawn Johnson had really surprised me when she did not goof- up.

She was'nt perfect yet, the Chinese girl fell off. I was so elated to see the bronze chick come up with a gold. She screwed up so many times previously that finally it was her time to be the best and the other USA got the Silver which was a nice tearful moment to watch. I get so caught up when I watch these olympians strive for all they can accomplish.

The hardest part to watch is when they cry like heck. Makes me sad by looking at them, regardless of the country they represent. I like having these peaceful games because it shows how easy it can be to get along in this world without war. It is a friendly competition instead of a ( I hate your guts) and who is all that. They all show respect regardless of who had done a better feat. I need to use the john so I will say HAPPY OLYMPICS TO ALL TEAMS!!!!!!!