BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Prof. Templeton

Question

I think the issue is to look at the probability of someone NOT sharing a birthday, which for the first person is 364/365, the second person is 363/365 and so on.

If you multiply these together again and again you will eventually get a fraction which is less than 0.5

The number of multiplications will be the number of people to get a 50% probability.

I think that after 22 such calculations the result is 0.49273 but I'm not very good at that.

So my answer is . . . ABOUT 22

I think the issue is to look at the probability of someone NOT sharing a birthday, which for the first person is 364/365, the second person is 363/365 and so on.

If you multiply these together again and again you will eventually get a fraction which is less than 0.5

The number of multiplications will be the number of people to get a 50% probability.

I think that after 22 such calculations the result is 0.49273 but I'm not very good at that.

So my answer is . . . ABOUT 22

The first person in the room would be 365/365 and the second person would be 364/365 so the answer

The first time I saw the answer it seemed incredible that so few people were needed to get at least a 50/50 outcome

The first person in the room would be 365/365 and the second person would be 364/365 so the answer

The first time I saw the answer it seemed incredible that so few people were needed to get at least a 50/50 outcome

why doesn't

work? I think I can prove it:

20C2 or C(20,2) or Combination(20,2) or 20 choose 2 or however you want to say it is 190, ie, there are 190 unique pairs (380 if in either order, but that doesn't matter, so 190) of people from within 20 people.

In each of those 190 pairs, if person A has a set birthday, and person's B chance of having the same birthday is 1/365, so each pair has a 1/365 chance of getting a match. With 190 pairs present, there is a 190/365 chance of a match happening, which is a little over 52%

20 is less than 23 :P

I remember my math teacher talking about something about this back in grade 8...

He went, I will bet that someone here will have the same birthday as someone else. (class size is ~30)

The funniest thing I remember was that my class, was the one of two classes that he taught (around 20) that didn't have any same birthdays.

Great puzzle Templeton

This is easy. The answer is 366. If everyone had a different birthday for every day of the 365 days of the year the 366th person would have to match someone. (I am pretending its not a leap year which I don't really think would make a difference)

This is easy. The answer is 366. If everyone had a different birthday for every day of the 365 days of the year the 366th person would have to match someone. (I am pretending its not a leap year which I don't really think would make a difference)

You're forgetting the question says 50/50 chance.

=)

I realized that right after I posted. Doh! Here is the corrected answer.

The answer is 366 for 100% chance. If everyone had a different birthday for every day of the 365 days of the year the 366th person would have to match someone. If one wants a perfect 50:50 chance you would reduce that number by half so the answer is 182. I have actually chosen not to do statistic and probability, which could possibly reduce that number significantly, however my answer is still sound.

I realized that right after I posted. Doh! Here is the corrected answer.

The answer is 366 for 100% chance. If everyone had a different birthday for every day of the 365 days of the year the 366th person would have to match someone. If one wants a perfect 50:50 chance you would reduce that number by half so the answer is 182. I have actually chosen not to do statistic and probability, which could possibly reduce that number significantly, however my answer is still sound.

:rolleyes:

I think it should be 183, not 182. Half of 365 (50% chance) plus one for remainder.