BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

Mr. Peabody has been found dead in his mansion estate! Oh noez! There were 8 people in the mansion at the time. The mansion has 8 rooms. And there are 8 possible murder weapons!

Murder Weapons:

* Rubber Ducky

* Asparagus

* Paper Airplane

* Floss

* 8-sided dice

* Keyboard

* Spatula

* Cheese Grater

Rooms:

* Garage

* Love Room

* Janitor's Closet

* Evil Laboratory

* Roof Helipad

* Soup Kitchen

* Entertainment Lounge

* Master Bedroom

<< All I need are the 8 people now >>

I randomly pick one player (the murderer), one weapon (the murder weapon) and one room (the location of the murder!). The murderer knows all 3 of those. While the other players' goal is to figure out those 3 things, the murderers' goal is to kill off everyone except him/her. The murderer can kill one person after he makes three accusations. After the sixth, he can kill another, etc- though it might not be a good idea to kill right after that because people will catch on and figure out who the murderer is. The murderer could kill off players that accuse him/her, but then that might be too obvious- or would it? Dun dun dun. The murderer might also always make wrong guesses to not give too much information, but then other players might think he/she is purposefully doing that.

The 7 normal players get PMed one player who is not the murderer and not themself, one non-murder weapon, and one non-murder room- all picked randomly by me, thus some players might have similar results. I also pick data for the murderer, even though the murderer knows all 3 things already. The murderer does not know the data that he/she was "PMed".

All players, including the murderer, can make accusations. You can't make two accusations in a row, ie someone else needs to make an accusation before you can make another one. To make an accusation, move to the room and say it (I think it was 'NAME' in the 'ROOM' with the 'WEAPON'). Then I say which players were PMed data that prove your accusation wrong (this could include the murderer, as I pick data to give to the murderer too, even though he/she knows everything already).

If you think you know the 3 things, you can make a 911 call by going to the special ninth room, the Pay Phone, and making a 911 call with your accusation. If you are right, you win the game. If you are wrong (ie, one or more of the three aspects are incorrect), the murderer shows up and kills you as a free kill for the murderer.

Snitching - you have the opportunity to steal other detectives' work. If you go the same room that they are in and PM me while both of you are in the same room, you can snitch and get randomly two of the three pieces of data that the other player was PMed in the beginning. The murderer can snitch too, and use this to his advantage to make accusations with results that players already know and thus doesn't help them. The murderer can snitch four times, while players can only do it twice. You could use multiple snitches on the same person to try to get all 3 pieces of data, but it's probably a waste.

Talking in the thread: not a good idea, since you want to have as much information as possible for yourself, and you want everyone else to have as little information. The posts you should be doing in the thread consist of moving to rooms & making accusations.

anyone wanna play? :P

• Answers 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm probably going to die, so I'll help the other detectives.

Cherry Lane is the murderer, if you haven't figured that out yet, it will be proven by Mekal's death (and my imminent one.)

As I see it, with the information available, there is a one in nine chance of guessing the correct combination. With Mekal's 911 call, that list was reduced to 1/8. As far as I can see, there is no way for the detectives to know which of these weapons (Paper Airplane, Keyboard, Spatula) was used in one of these places (Evil Lab, Helipad, Master Bedroom.)

It was 1*3*3 choices, but with Mekal's call, it's minus 1 and with mine it will be minus two, so the other detectives will have a one in 7 and a one in 6 chance of guessing respectively, if the murderer does not act first (which she can and will do.)

As I see no other way to further reduce the number of choices, here's my call on the pay phone:

Cherry Lane with the Keyboard in the Evil Lab. :unsure:

With luck, the game is over. Otherwise, good luck to the rest of you. :huh:

OK, Pw0znd, its you 'n me. (Tolencal will soon learn she's dead). And we both know who the killer is. But where? And with what? You'd better figure it out in your next two guesses or you'll be next.

OK, Pw0znd, its you 'n me. (Tolencal will soon learn she's dead). And we both know who the killer is. But where? And with what? You'd better figure it out in your next two guesses or you'll be next.

hmm, time to break out the spreadsheet

tolecnal, you were murdered by CL just 3 minutes before your 911 call, sorry :o

wish I'd killed pw0znd instead....then this would have been over already, since tolencal essentially committed suicide.

so how many guesses do I get before I have to place a call or die

Pwoznd: two (oh, you just used one), but you can't rapid-fire them, because the same person can't make two guesses in a row. That's why I have to wait for you to guess before I can make my next guess to get closer to being able to off you....

unreality: CL (might as well) + spatula + garage