BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Beggar

unreality

Question

let me start if off with the Beggar I just came up with: (it's an expansion of the 5-day winner idea)

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 5 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

Edited by bonanova

• Answers 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm almost done with the intro, it's pretty epic/awesome :P It might be a bit on the long side too, but I introduce all of the good characters and one of the neutral characters. Any ideas/comments/suggestions on when I should host it?

Before October 2008 comes to a halt. :P Yeah! I am a teeny-weeny bit selfish. Sem. exams coming up next month and you don't want me to fare badly, do you?

EDIT: Added

After hosting another Mafia, I have a few basic ideas that I think hosts should follow...

* Night Information: from now on, all roles that receive night information should only receive it directly AFTER the night post is over. This has three important functions:

(1) they can change what they want to do at any time during the night [ie, the first thing they PM in isn't final]

(2) their choice could affect other night choices, especially if their choice involves immediately PMing a player or immediately learning another player's role/faction/etc

(3) it requires the host's presence to be online 100% of the time in the night for the ideal expansion of the concept, which is something that mafia is set up to NOT do and shouldn't do

> These reasons are pretty strong, and from now on, in any future games I host, all night results will be PMed directly after the night post (if the player involved is[are] still alive), and hopefully other people's games too :D

* Special Cases: obviously you (the host) can't predict every wierd clash of roles that's going to occur, but you should at least try to think of as many special cases as possible that seem contradictory, etc, and make sure that somewhere in role descriptions or rules or whatever has these conditionals. Ask questions like "what would happen if..." and figure out the answers of what should happen and include it in the initial info so that you don't have to scramble for an unbiased answer once the game has begun. If you don't want to unnecessarily clutter a role description, you could have a separate section in the OP about "What If..." scenarios between roles (if role descs are known of course)

* Night Information: from now on, all roles that receive night information should only receive it directly AFTER the night post is over. This has three important functions:

(1) they can change what they want to do at any time during the night [ie, the first thing they PM in isn't final]

(2) their choice could affect other night choices, especially if their choice involves immediately PMing a player or immediately learning another player's role/faction/etc

(3) it requires the host's presence to be online 100% of the time in the night for the ideal expansion of the concept, which is something that mafia is set up to NOT do and shouldn't do

> These reasons are pretty strong, and from now on, in any future games I host, all night results will be PMed directly after the night post (if the player involved is[are] still alive), and hopefully other people's games too :D

Sounds like a good idea, I might do that for 1.1...

* Special Cases: obviously you (the host) can't predict every wierd clash of roles that's going to occur, but you should at least try to think of as many special cases as possible that seem contradictory, etc, and make sure that somewhere in role descriptions or rules or whatever has these conditionals. Ask questions like "what would happen if..." and figure out the answers of what should happen and include it in the initial info so that you don't have to scramble for an unbiased answer once the game has begun. If you don't want to unnecessarily clutter a role description, you could have a separate section in the OP about "What If..." scenarios between roles (if role descs are known of course)

Haha...you have no idea how much me and BB did the for Heroes, and yet we still didn't cover all the bases! :P

I had an idea for something called Viral Mafia... I doubt I'd use this, but I started on it and thought the concept was pretty cool

Viral Mafia

- set in a dystopian future ruled by a totalitarian government known as the Autocracy

- rebels called Flyhackers plug themselves into a sprawling computer world known as the Network in order to fight against the Firewall, a computer system that protects the ruthless Autocracy from harm

- when you plug yourself in via the illegal Uplink (a technology used to connect with the Network), your mind's processes are transferred into the digital world, and if you die, then your mind can never go back: you are dead in the real world too

- the only legal non-black-market Uplinks are those owned by the Autocracy. Government agents that specialize in entering the Network to battle Flyhackers are known as Combants. They are assisted by self-evolving Firewall agents called Shields

- a whole counterculture lives and thrives within the Network, they are known as the Cyberpunks and have a strange society: They resent the use of Uplinks (which the Flyhackers and Combants use) and believe you should live in either the outside world or in the Network, not go between the two. Cyberpunks' biological bodies no longer exist, their minds have been entirely transmuted into the Network. Some of the newer generation weren't even born in the real world

- it's possible to ban someone from the Network by popular vote. This democratic method was implimented by the the Cyberpunks in an act of rebellion against the Autocracy (where 'voting' is not part of the government agenda). However, the term "ban" is misleading, because death in the Network is death in real life

- at the end of each Network Update Cycle (called a NetCyc, there are no "days" or "nights" or other form of alternating cycle), any person with the most votes is banned. A tie for most votes = nobody is banned. Usually, there is no reason for banning, and it is a poor form of cybermurder because ban votes are public domain and can be seen (and countered) by everyone & anyone. Banning is rarely used. But that was before the escalating use of the Network for Flyhackers to battle against the Firewall... and more important, that was before the Virus

- nobody knows how the Virus arrived. Perhaps it was engineered by a bold Flyhacker attempting to corrupt the Firewall. Perhaps it was a simple program gone wrong. Whatever the reason, the Virus has been spreading incognito for months, infecting and hacking, growing and mutating, learning and evolving. The Virus is a decentralized intelligence made up of autonomous smaller elements, much like a brain or ant colony. For that reason, it's almost impossible to destroy. The Virus' growing intelligence has contrived a plan to assault the Network - something it calls Divide and Conquer (dac protocol). It will cut off the Network into divided sectors unable to communicate with the other sectors, and then move in for the kill en masse. First, it is executing a test run by portioning off a small part of the Network and isolating it into a sub-Network... in the process, entrapping all types of people: Flyhackers, Cyberpunks, Combants (and their Shields). If the Virus is successful in this test-run and is not stopped and destroyed, it will then use its plan all across the Network

- the Virus specifically picked a piece of the Network at the 'edge' to make the isolation easier. But for this reason, the entrapped Flyhackers are closer than they have ever been to the Firewall. All they have to do is kill the Combants (and their Shield assistants) and the Firewall is theirs to hack. Because of this, the Firewall wants to destroy the Virus not just to save itself but to flood the sub-Network with reinforcements to kill the Flyhackers - for the best and greatest of the Flyhackers are trapped here

- meanwhile, viral agents called Phages are swarming the sub-Network in attack, hoping to destroy all in their path and mark the Virus' plan as a success, ready to be executed en masse across the Network!

* Flyhackers (8) - this is their chance to kill the Combants and take down the Firewall. They win if they can corrupt the Firewall to allow real-life rebel allies to storm the Autocracy

* Cyberpunks (3) - the citizens of the Network despise the Uplink, but their more imminent threat is the Virus. The Cyberpunks' goal is to kill the Phages and stop the Virus' plan... then they must decide between the Flyhackers and the Combants

* Combants (5) - the Combants will not stop until they successfully kill the Flyhackers. Combants have abilities but also use their Shields to do tasks for them... and if the Virus dies, they get Shield reinforcements. Furthermore, the Virus poses a threat to the Firewall, so they have to kill the Virus either way

* Phages (2) - these Virus operatives only have one goal in mind: kill everyone! Due to their notorious decentralized intelligence, the Phages cannot die unless both are killed at the same time (ie, in the same NetCyc)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Win Conditions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flyhackers (8) ~ wincon: KILL COMBANTS AND DESTROY FIREWALL

Cyberpunks (3) ~ wincon: KILL PHAGES AND DESTROY VIRUS, THEN CHOOSE FLYHACKERS OR COMBANTS AND WIN WITH THAT GROUP

Combants (5) ~ wincon: KILL FLYHACKERS AND PHAGES

Phages (2) ~ wincon: KILL ALL

* There are no individual Phage roles, rather they work as a team with BTSC. They cannot die unless they both die in the same NetCyc. The Phages kill one person each NetCyc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roles

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flyhackers

* The Debugger - can save someone each NetCyc from death, unless the person was voted to be banned. In that case, the Debugger can do nothing. The Debugger can save themselves

* The Decrypter - can hack somebody's identity each NetCyc

* The Raider - can kill somebody each NetCyc

* The Swarm Keeper - can send messages to the Cyberpunks until the Cyberpunks choose a side OR until the Combants all die. If the Combants all die, the Firewall is exposed and the Swarm Keeper releases his/her swarm virii to take down the Firewall. If the Swarm Keeper is dead when the Firewall is exposed, the Flyhackers lose unless the Swarm Keeper is resurrected

* The Encrypter - PMs somebody to "arrest" each NetCyc, they are arrested in the Update Post at the end of the NetCyc in which the PM came, and are held captive by the Encrypter until they arrest somebody else, releasing the previous victim. An arrested person is "encrypted" by the Encrypter, and thus cannot speak the same language as anyone else or communicate with the sub-Network in any way. An encrypted person cannot post on the thread, use or receive BTSC, vote, be voted for, use a role ability, or have a role ability used upon them... until/if they are released by the Encrypter. The Encrypter cannot encrypt themselves, obviously

* The Rerouter - acts as the Swarm Keeper's personal guardian. The SK cannot die (EXCEPT FOR BANNING) while the Rerouter is alive, and all other night actions are reflected on the Rerouter (for example, the Decrytper spying on the SK will see them as the Rerouter). The Rerouter can choose to change their 'reroute' target to someone other than the SK

* The Vitalizer - can resurrect any dead player... at the cost of their own life

* The Epic - ? lol

the computer theme and "banning vote" was semi-based upon...

~~~

remember that 'Brainden Mafia' game I made a while back? I'm thinking of actually hosting it :P It wouldn't require any stories (you really couldn't, I don't know what you would do). Anyway:

Brainden Mafia: The Inv4sion of Teh Hax0rz!!!!!!!!!1111

Hackers (3) - hack one account each night to lock that person out of Brainden. Win when everyone but themselves have been hacked

Braindenizens (8) - vote to ban one person each day. Don't stop until all Hackers (and Leopard) are banned

Wild-but-Spotless Leopard (1) - a free radical who "leopardizes" someone each night. The Leopard then assumes that person's role in case of a L33t or Scav Hunter check. The Leopard wins when he/she leopardizes the Admin, then the Admin dies and Leopard disappears from Brainden. If Leopard picks the Admin while the Firewall is still alive, the Leopard is informed and gets to pick someone else (cannot leopardize Admin til Firewall is dead)

HACKERS:

* L33t - the leader hacker. Can break into one person's account each night and discover their role

* Flamer - enjoys starting flame wars [no ability]

* Spammer - enjoys spreading nonsense posts [no ability]

BRAINDENIZENS:

* Admin - can ban one person by himself/herself each night except the 1st. Vulernable to banning, but cannot be hacked at night until Firewall dies

* Moderators (2) - each pick one person at night. That person cannot be hacked during that night only. The Moderators can communicate with one another

* Scav Hunter - can learn one person's identity each night

* VIPs (2) - their votes secretly count as x2. They can communicate with one another

* Firewall - Admin cannot be hacked while the Firewall is alive

* Noob - doesn't know what's going on first, but learns as he/she plays. If a Braindenizen is banned, the Noob may choose to take over that person's role ability. If checked by the Scav Hunter or L33t, the Noob will always appear as just "Noob", despite what role they have taken on

I may change the Leopard part, but the rest would be mostly the same. I like the Encrypter role from Viral Mafia, so I may incorporate something of that sort

Edited by unreality

this is what I have so far:

Mafia VIII - Medieval Mafia

Adventurers

- The Psion

- The Knight

- The Thief

- The Tank

- The Druid

- The Dragonslayer

- The Herbalist

- The Royal Emissary

- The City Guard

Bandits

- The Highwayman

- The Deadbolt Sniper

- The Footpad

Villains

- The Agent of The Hand

- The Mind Flayer

- The Bronzefire Dragon

here's a lot more:

Adventurers

- The Psion

- The Knight

- The Thief

- The Tank

- The Druid

- The Dragonslayer

- The Herbalist

- The Royal Emissary

- The City Guard

Bandits

- The Highwayman

- The Deadbolt Sniper

- The Footpad

Villains

- The Agent of The Hand

- The Mind Flayer

- The Bronzefire Dragon

Role Abilities

Adventurers

* The Psion: a warrior of innate mental prowess... they have a mind so powerful they can manipulate others with minimal effort. Because of this, they are immune to the Mind Flayer, and are also very persuasive, giving them double voting power. Each day, the Psion chooses one other player to also give double voting power (the person is alerted of this fact)... and if the chosen person is a Mind Flayer puppet, they are killed at the end of the day

* The Knight - goes on quests. Each Adventurer (other than the Knight) has a quest that only they know. They can PM me at any time, and immediately after the next day/night post, I will send the quest to the Knight for completion. The Knight has no knowledge of any quests until he/she receives them, and they can choose not to do a quest. Rewards of completing a quest & changes that happen afterward are detailed in the quest description

* The Thief - a sly, roguish individual with a knack for ending up in places where they don't belong. Because of this, the Thief often learns useful information. At the beginning of the game, they have a key choice to make, two different paths to follow:

** The Flambuoyant Thief - hangs around in the upper echelons of society, learning who the newest fashionable villains are. Each night, they learn one person that is either a Bandit or Villain, but they are not told what specific faction or role

** The Shadow Thief - hangs around in... ventilation ducts. They can visit any person they so choose (at night of course) and find an ingenious way into their home, at which point they learn the chosen person's exact role

** Once the Thief makes their choice, it is final. Furthermore, they do not learn anything until they make their choice, so they should probably do so in the first night

*** Regardless of the chosen path, if the Thief is arrested by the City Guard, they may, in the day following their arrest, choose to break out (which happens in the day post)

* The Tank - a combat-loving, fray-entering, battle-berserking, war-cry-yelling brute-force barbaric fighter, who enjoys kicking down doors and slaughtering "evil stuff". Most importantly, the Tank serves an integral function in any group of Adventurers: the damage absorber. The Tank's massive store of health allows them to take blows that would've been lethal to their weaker allies. Each night, the Tank can (if they want) choose one person that they then protect for the whole night, absorbing damage. If they don't choose anyone, it's as if they chose themselves, essentially. If the chosen person is attacked, the Tank absorbs the blow. The Tank can absorb three hits before dying, and these include attacks on the Tank as well as multiple attacks in the same night. The Tank is as vulnerable as anyone else during lynchings

* The Druid - the Druid is a master of the natural forces of the universe, utilizing all aspects of nature, from flora & fauna to weather itself. The Druid can, if they so please, call upon the fearsome and awesome power Nature to kill any specified person. If the Druid chooses not to kill, they have no voting power the next day

* The Dragonslayer - has a very focused, one-track-mind: dragonslaying! Basically they live to hunt and kill fiery winged magical lizards. The Dragonslayer is immune to the Bronzefire's dragonbreath, and each night, they traverse the realm, seeking to find their draconic nemesis. If they find the Bronzefire Dragon, the Dragon dies, despite any saving role that may be involved. If the Dragonslayer finds the Druid, they get BTSC with the Druid

* The Herbalist - the Herbalist grew up in an apothecary and knows every herb, every root, every remedy and every potion. Each night, the Herbalist can make a different concoction and infuse it to the person of their choice:

** Panacea Potion - saves someone's life, except for dragonbreath

** Mindguard Salve - saves someone against the Mind Flayer

** Firesbane Poultice - saves someone against dragonbreath

** The Herbalist may administer any of their cures to themselves, and there are no other limits on who they can save

* The Royal Emissary - the RE acts as a tagalong agent of the King, an ambassador to all lands foreign that the Adventurers (and various infiltrating baddies) may venture. Because of the Royal Emissary's extensive career as a courier and messenger-taker for the High Courts, they can carry messages between any two players. A player that wishes the RE to carry a message will PM me the message and the target player. I will, as soon as I get it, forward it to the RE, who may alter it in any way they so please, and then send it to ANY player they so please (through me). The RE cannot otherwise send or receive messages. Each player can only request the services of the Royal Emissary once

* The City Guard - this astute and vigilant watchman is quite the upholder of justice. Each night, they can jail one [supposedly suspicious] person, arresting them in the night post. The jailed victim cannot post, vote, be voted for, use BTSC, use a role ability (except for the Thief's jailbreak ability), or have a role ability used on them (except for the Highwayman's jailbreak ability). The City Guard holds them for the following day and following night at minimum, and if they do not choose to jail someone else the next night, they may hold them prisoner indefinitely. However, the City Guard may only hold one person prisoner at a time, so if they choose someone new, they release the old prisoner as they arrest the new one

Bandits

* The Highwayman - during the day, if someone is under arrest by the City Guard, the Highwayman may choose to break them out, which occurs in the day post. Furthermore, ?

* The Deadbolt Sniper - ?

* The Footpad - ?

Villains

* The Agent of The Hand - the Agent of The Hand is a skilled mage/assassin that works for a mysterious society known as The Hand. The Agent can enchant their hand with powerful energy which can be used to smite down foes. The Agent has three energy-based attacks that they can use throughout the game (at night). They can only use each ability once, and cannot use two in the same night:

** Plasma Hand - a cloud of charged ions forms around the Agent's hand, which can be used to deal fatal blows... but not against the magical defenses of the Adventurers. The Plasma Hand only works against the Bandits. If it fails, it is still usable at a later time

** Lightning Hand - blazing arcs of electricity zap around the Agent's hand, allowing him or her to smite down Adventurers (but not Bandits, who are accustomed to storms and have grounded boots). If it fails, it is still usable at a later time

** Vortex Hand - kills anyone and everyone, without fail

* The Mind Flayer - the Mind Flayer is a strange subterranean humanoid creature with light bluish skin and a tentacled face with eyes that glow with a menacing intensity. The Mind Flayer is an expert at probing into victims' minds and taking control of their neurological processes, effectively making them puppets. The Mind Flayer can do this once per night, turning any Adventurer or Bandit into a minion of the Mind Flayer. The player who is puppetized joins the Villains and gains BTSC with them. Nobody is aware that anything happened. There is one catch: the Mind Flayer cannot just probe anyone's mind. They must have extensive knowledge of the person's identity beforehand; ie, they must know the person's role. When they PM me the request, they include the target's role, and the mind control fails if they are wrong... also if they are wrong, they suffer a mental cataclysm. The first time they are fine and recover easily and quickly. However, on the Mind Flayer's second cataclysm, they die

* The Bronzefire Dragon - this temperamental drake has the ability to breathe intense fire upon its chosen victim each night. The person breathed upon is notified, as well as a 50% chance that the dragonbreath event will make its way into the night post, which of course makes the knowledge public and undeniably truthful. The dragonbreath victim will die at the conclusion of the following night (not the same night), unless healed with a Firesbane Poultice the same night as the burning OR the following night. The Dragonslayer is immune to the dragonbreath attack, but this isn't revealed until the moment of death. If the Dragonslayer is breathed upon and the 50% chance of NOT making it public occurred, then the Dragonslayer 'not dying' is NOT put into the following night's night post. If someone was breathed upon and it was made public, no matter what happens the following night with it will be shown. If someone was breathed upon and it was NOT made public, then: if the Herbalist saves them, it is NOT put in the night post, but the Herbalist is PMed and informed that they saved someone (and the victim is informed that they were saved too, and so is the Bronzefire Dragon). If the victim is not saved and dies of burn wounds, then of course it is part of the night post

Faction Abilities

Adventurers: (and the group as a whole of course) standard lynch. Tie = no execution that day. No Adventurers have BTSC unless otherwise stated in their role description

Bandits: BTSC, kill each night

Villains: BTSC, no overall Faction Ability

Win Conditions

Adventurers: lynch & kill all Bandits and Villains

Bandits: ?

Villains: ?

I need some help with a lot of the Bandit role stuff as well as the win condition of the baddie groups. Feel free to post here or PM me privately :D

here's a lot more:

Adventurers

- The Psion

- The Knight

- The Thief

- The Tank

- The Druid

- The Dragonslayer

- The Herbalist

- The Royal Emissary

- The City Guard

Bandits

- The Highwayman

- The Deadbolt Sniper

- The Footpad

Villains

- The Agent of The Hand

- The Mind Flayer

- The Bronzefire Dragon

Role Abilities

Adventurers

* The Psion: a warrior of innate mental prowess... they have a mind so powerful they can manipulate others with minimal effort. Because of this, they are immune to the Mind Flayer, and are also very persuasive, giving them double voting power. Each day, the Psion chooses one other player to also give double voting power (the person is alerted of this fact)... and if the chosen person is a Mind Flayer puppet, they are killed at the end of the day

* The Knight - goes on quests. Each Adventurer (other than the Knight) has a quest that only they know. They can PM me at any time, and immediately after the next day/night post, I will send the quest to the Knight for completion. The Knight has no knowledge of any quests until he/she receives them, and they can choose not to do a quest. Rewards of completing a quest & changes that happen afterward are detailed in the quest description

* The Thief - a sly, roguish individual with a knack for ending up in places where they don't belong. Because of this, the Thief often learns useful information. At the beginning of the game, they have a key choice to make, two different paths to follow:

** The Flambuoyant Thief - hangs around in the upper echelons of society, learning who the newest fashionable villains are. Each night, they learn one person that is either a Bandit or Villain, but they are not told what specific faction or role

** The Shadow Thief - hangs around in... ventilation ducts. They can visit any person they so choose (at night of course) and find an ingenious way into their home, at which point they learn the chosen person's exact role

** Once the Thief makes their choice, it is final. Furthermore, they do not learn anything until they make their choice, so they should probably do so in the first night

*** Regardless of the chosen path, if the Thief is arrested by the City Guard, they may, in the day following their arrest, choose to break out (which happens in the day post)

* The Tank - a combat-loving, fray-entering, battle-berserking, war-cry-yelling brute-force barbaric fighter, who enjoys kicking down doors and slaughtering "evil stuff". Most importantly, the Tank serves an integral function in any group of Adventurers: the damage absorber. The Tank's massive store of health allows them to take blows that would've been lethal to their weaker allies. Each night, the Tank can (if they want) choose one person that they then protect for the whole night, absorbing damage. If they don't choose anyone, it's as if they chose themselves, essentially. If the chosen person is attacked, the Tank absorbs the blow. The Tank can absorb three hits before dying, and these include attacks on the Tank as well as multiple attacks in the same night. The Tank is as vulnerable as anyone else during lynchings

* The Druid - the Druid is a master of the natural forces of the universe, utilizing all aspects of nature, from flora & fauna to weather itself. The Druid can, if they so please, call upon the fearsome and awesome power Nature to kill any specified person. If the Druid chooses not to kill, they have no voting power the next day

* The Dragonslayer - has a very focused, one-track-mind: dragonslaying! Basically they live to hunt and kill fiery winged magical lizards. The Dragonslayer is immune to the Bronzefire's dragonbreath, and each night, they traverse the realm, seeking to find their draconic nemesis. If they find the Bronzefire Dragon, the Dragon dies, despite any saving role that may be involved. If the Dragonslayer finds the Druid, they get BTSC with the Druid

* The Herbalist - the Herbalist grew up in an apothecary and knows every herb, every root, every remedy and every potion. Each night, the Herbalist can make a different concoction and infuse it to the person of their choice:

** The Herbalist may administer any of their cures to themselves, and there are no other limits on who they can save

* The Royal Emissary - the RE acts as a tagalong agent of the King, an ambassador to all lands foreign that the Adventurers (and various infiltrating baddies) may venture. Because of the Royal Emissary's extensive career as a courier and messenger-taker for the High Courts, they can carry messages between any two players. A player that wishes the RE to carry a message will PM me the message and the target player. I will, as soon as I get it, forward it to the RE, who may alter it in any way they so please, and then send it to ANY player they so please (through me). The RE cannot otherwise send or receive messages. Each player can only request the services of the Royal Emissary once

* The City Guard - this astute and vigilant watchman is quite the upholder of justice. Each night, they can jail one [supposedly suspicious] person, arresting them in the night post. The jailed victim cannot post, vote, be voted for, use BTSC, use a role ability (except for the Thief's jailbreak ability), or have a role ability used on them (except for the Highwayman's jailbreak ability). The City Guard holds them for the following day and following night at minimum, and if they do not choose to jail someone else the next night, they may hold them prisoner indefinitely. However, the City Guard may only hold one person prisoner at a time, so if they choose someone new, they release the old prisoner as they arrest the new one

Bandits

* The Highwayman - during the day, if someone is under arrest by the City Guard, the Highwayman may choose to break them out, which occurs in the day post. Furthermore, ?

* The Deadbolt Sniper - ?

* The Footpad - ?

Villains

* The Agent of The Hand - the Agent of The Hand is a skilled mage/assassin that works for a mysterious society known as The Hand. The Agent can enchant their hand with powerful energy which can be used to smite down foes. The Agent has three energy-based attacks that they can use throughout the game (at night). They can only use each ability once, and cannot use two in the same night:

** Plasma Hand - a cloud of charged ions forms around the Agent's hand, which can be used to deal fatal blows... but not against the magical defenses of the Adventurers. The Plasma Hand only works against the Bandits. If it fails, it is still usable at a later time

** Lightning Hand - blazing arcs of electricity zap around the Agent's hand, allowing him or her to smite down Adventurers (but not Bandits, who are accustomed to storms and have grounded boots). If it fails, it is still usable at a later time

* The Mind Flayer - the Mind Flayer is a strange subterranean humanoid creature with light bluish skin and a tentacled face with eyes that glow with a menacing intensity. The Mind Flayer is an expert at probing into victims' minds and taking control of their neurological processes, effectively making them puppets. The Mind Flayer can do this once per night, turning any Adventurer or Bandit into a minion of the Mind Flayer. The player who is puppetized joins the Villains and gains BTSC with them. Nobody is aware that anything happened. There is one catch: the Mind Flayer cannot just probe anyone's mind. They must have extensive knowledge of the person's identity beforehand; ie, they must know the person's role. When they PM me the request, they include the target's role, and the mind control fails if they are wrong... also if they are wrong, they suffer a mental cataclysm. The first time they are fine and recover easily and quickly. However, on the Mind Flayer's second cataclysm, they die

* The Bronzefire Dragon - this temperamental drake has the ability to breathe intense fire upon its chosen victim each night. The person breathed upon is notified, as well as a 50% chance that the dragonbreath event will make its way into the night post, which of course makes the knowledge public and undeniably truthful. The dragonbreath victim will die at the conclusion of the following night (not the same night), unless healed with a Firesbane Poultice the same night as the burning OR the following night. The Dragonslayer is immune to the dragonbreath attack, but this isn't revealed until the moment of death. If the Dragonslayer is breathed upon and the 50% chance of NOT making it public occurred, then the Dragonslayer 'not dying' is NOT put into the following night's night post. If someone was breathed upon and it was made public, no matter what happens the following night with it will be shown. If someone was breathed upon and it was NOT made public, then: if the Herbalist saves them, it is NOT put in the night post, but the Herbalist is PMed and informed that they saved someone (and the victim is informed that they were saved too, and so is the Bronzefire Dragon). If the victim is not saved and dies of burn wounds, then of course it is part of the night post

Faction Abilities

Adventurers: (and the group as a whole of course) standard lynch. Tie = no execution that day. No Adventurers have BTSC unless otherwise stated in their role description

Win Conditions

Bandits: ?

I need some help with a lot of the Bandit role stuff as well as the win condition of the baddie groups. Feel free to post here or PM me privately :D

I don't have a solution for abilities right now, but I would like to mention something about the jail that you have here and in the Viral Mafia. It is an immensely powerful ability, but put into the wrong hands, it can be incredibly obnoxious. Y-san was disappointed with how it worked in M4F14 as it's a fate worse than death. If you're wrongfully accused (or even rightfully, :D ) you are completely helpless and you cannot speak or defend yourself or even point out when someone is lying to trick others. I know first hand from M4F14 how it feels to be unable to contribute and the only good thing about it was that the person had to pick a target each day and I think they could only do it once.

This is completely different, in that the person remains in jail until the guard decides to imprison someone else (or I maybe they could just release the person without taking in someone new. :unsure: ) If you're going to imprison someone, it makes more sense if they have some recourse to escape or to contribute to the discussion. The worst of it is that being imprisoned immediately raises everyone's suspicion level (even if the jailing was completely random,) so you may end up getting lynched for no good reason and there's nothing you can do to stop it. (I may be repeating myself a little bit here, but that's because while I think that the idea is good, it really takes someone who knows what they are doing to use it effectively, otherwise it's just like pulling teeth waiting for people to decide your fate. <_< :wacko: ) The card game Bang! has a jail card that means that you have a possibility of losing your next turn, but you can get out for free, depending on the suit of the next card you draw. That's a little too simplistic and easy (and random) to escape, but it seems like there should be some sort of modification to allow someone (if they are clever) to get out scott-free (with a little probability thrown in perhaps. :P ) Admittedly, it's possible for the Highwayman to release the prisoner and it could be a good strategy for him/her to do so, but in any case, the victim still must wait until after the next day post.

I think you've probably grasped my feelings about this subject by now, so I'll try not to beat a dead horse any further. B))

I agree; however in essence (at least in this game), the City Guard is actually a killing role. Think about it from the other direction: the victims have a chance to get out of their predicament

But I appreciate your input and being the jail sucks... so here's a couple of ideas:

- the jailed person can still communicate & post on the thread. Why not? They just can't vote of course :D

- the jailed person can have PMs sent to the City Guard, via me, and the CG can send PMs to the jailed person (also via me)

The second option allows an experienced and/or innocent and/or tricky player to buy themselves out of the jail, while the first allows them to contribute to the game while they're jailed. Plus the Highwayman can free people, either to:

(a) free fellow Bandits, or

(b) try to frame the freed person by seeming like the Highwayman wanted them free

which is also why the Thief may or may not be hesitant to break themselves out [i will make it unclear whether it was a Thief escape or outside-assisted breakout]

I think these changes are pretty good, thanks for giving me the heads up about this :D If you approve, I will put them into the City Guard role description ;D

oh and do you have any ideas about baddie wincons or Bandit roles?

So i was thinking about all of the "Revolutionary" mafia games out there and i decided to make RVB mafia have an interesting new concept... i'm not relesing the roles or anything till the official sign up... but as far as i know this is the first mafia with 2 innocent teams (I know that Dms's has 2 teams but this one is acutally 2 DIFFRENT teams competing against each other...

when there are two major teams plotted against each other of about equal size, it ceases to be Mafia, because there is no claim of "good guys". There has to be some non-BTSC team that has the overwhelming majority, which thus everyone must pretend to be in the thread or get voted out. In game theory it's known as "uninformed majority" while the mafia and possibly other groups are called "informed minority", and is the game theory basis of Mafia. Two teams of equal size pitted against each other no longer is mafia. Just a heads up :D

For Mafia VIII, I'm adding stuff to the City Guard role and some other roles :D

okay, I've finished the Bandits :D I just haven't decided how much gold ingots the Bandits need to amass in order to win. And then I need to decide the Villains' win condition

Adventurers

- The Psion

- The Knight

- The Thief

- The Tank

- The Druid

- The Dragonslayer

- The Herbalist

- The Royal Emissary

- The City Guard

Bandits

- The Highwayman

- The Deadbolt Sniper

- The Footpad

Villains

- The Agent of The Hand

- The Mind Flayer

- The Bronzefire Dragon

Role Abilities

Adventurers

* The City Guard - this astute and vigilant watchman is quite the upholder of justice. Each night, they can jail one [supposedly suspicious] person, arresting them in the night post. The jailed victim cannot vote, be voted for, use BTSC, use a role ability (except for the Thief's jailbreak ability), or have a role ability used on them (except for the Highwayman's jailbreak ability). However, the jailed person is allowed to post on the thread and discuss (but no BTSC!). The City Guard holds them for the following day and following night at minimum, and if they do not choose to jail someone else the next night, they may hold them prisoner indefinitely. However, the City Guard may only hold one person prisoner at a time, so if they choose someone new, they release the old prisoner as they arrest the new one. Furthermore, the jailed person can PM me a message, which I pass on to the City Guard, and vice versa with the City Guard messaging the prisoner

** Note that the Thief can choose to break out of jail if they want to (happens in the day post) and the Highwayman can choose to break anyone out of jail (also happens in the day post). I won't elaborate much and it will be unclear whether the person escaped because they were the Thief or because the Highwayman rescued them

Bandits

* The Highwayman - during the day, if someone is under arrest by the City Guard, the Highwayman may choose to break them out, which occurs in the day post. The Highwayman can only break OTHER people out: if the Highwayman is in jail, he or she cannot break themselves out

* The Deadbolt Sniper - the Sniper is the main distance assassin that the Bandits use, but they are also a skilled detective and can uncover clues with the slightest glance, probably from training their eye at the sight of a crossbow. The Deadbolt Sniper can learn one player's exact role each night

* The Footpad - the Footpad is a common street ruffian, a Bandit thug. Each day they can mug any player they want (happens in the day post). They get money equal to exactly HALF of the monetary amount listed for the player's role in the Bandits' win description. Furthermore, if the Footpad mugs the Herbalist, they get one of the three random cures that the Herbalist uses, and the Footpad gets ONE use of that to use on any player on any night.

** If the Footpad mugs the same person a second time, they are caught and killed

Villains

Faction Abilities

Win Conditions

Bandits: amass as much gold as possible. After killing a player (or at least being part of killing a player), the Bandits raid their body and possessions for gold. Each role has a different amount of gold expected to be on them. The Psion, Knight, Thief and Royal Emissary each have 10 gold ingots. The Tank, Dragonslayer and City Guard each have 6 gold ingots. The Druid, Herbalist and Agent of The Hand each have 4 gold ingots. The Mind Flayer carries no gold, but the Bronzefire Dragon has a dragonlike treasure horde of 12 gold ingots. To get gold from the Tank, the Tank must actually die, not just 'take a hit'. The Bandits win if they get X gold ingots

when there are two major teams plotted against each other of about equal size, it ceases to be Mafia, because there is no claim of "good guys". There has to be some non-BTSC team that has the overwhelming majority, which thus everyone must pretend to be in the thread or get voted out. In game theory it's known as "uninformed majority" while the mafia and possibly other groups are called "informed minority", and is the game theory basis of Mafia. Two teams of equal size pitted against each other no longer is mafia. Just a heads up :D

For Mafia VIII, I'm adding stuff to the City Guard role and some other roles :D

no... there IS a mafia... but youll see how it turns out...

Edited by Mekal

the most important part of Mafia is not the informed minority (this varies a lot in Mafia games), but the uninformed majority (the core basis of the game). If you have two teams of roughly equal size, don't expect the gameplay to be the same - players may behave like it is a Mafia game out of habit, but clever players will probably realize the difference and capitalize. You can make it any way you want of course, this is just a friendly warning :D

LIS: I thought of having that for Viral Mafia, but in general I'm against anything that involves specifically dead players. Once you're dead in Mafia, you should stay dead :D While a spying role can still spy on you of course [depends on the game and role, which reminds me I need to clarify that for the Thief, thanks for reminding me ;D]

So does anyone have any suggestions for Mafia VIII so far? (the current version is on post 798) I'm going to figure out the 'X' part in the Bandit's wincon, but I still need suggestions for the Villains' win condition :D

[edit: grammar]

Edited by unreality