BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Beggar

unreality

Question

let me start if off with the Beggar I just came up with: (it's an expansion of the 5-day winner idea)

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 5 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

Edited by bonanova

• Answers 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Children are more mature than the adults playing this game. Well I am getting things done around the house so when My sweetheart gets here it will be presentable. I am not going out cheating on her tonight and promised I would be a good slick. I have invited LIS to be the best man at the cyber wedding. Maybe I should have a vote for who gets to stand up. PG always a bridesmaid and this time a bride. WOOP WOOP.

*Sighs*

I know what you mean. :P

I suppose I'd be very lucky if Unreality wants me to step in for anyone again

Oh well

Okay I'm gonna go, because I'm on Mafia overload, but Ill be back! Please...discuss... :)

hehe Mekal, The Philosopher's reign of evil is over, the riddle is over.

You sure are having one bad day. :P

oh, thanks...

No... Really? <_< oh well... with my luck the mafia will end up killing me. and just for the heck of it, can i get a doctor?

just some of the nonesense that makes reading back hard for players - as well as the kneejerk posts over the flame up

just some of the nonesense that makes reading back hard for players - as well as the kneejerk posts over the flame up

Those aren't all nonsense posts, in fact, some of them are important. And even so, they were all related at the time, not like the ones where people are just posting random stuff like youtube videos. Besides, there have been very few nonsense posts in Mafia VI, unlike previous ones.

um arent you dead LIS?

So you should've posted only once & in grey.

this is the Discussion thread- not related to any specific Mafia game, anyone can post on it :P

Doh!

*hits head*

sorry :wacko: It must be the heat.....

Sooo sorry LIS.

I didnt vote for you though!

Seemed like a frame up/ bandwagon thing going on...

So now there are no hints at all? Without the scavenger hunt continuing, there is no way to get clues of any kind. Oh well. Though unreality, what clues would we have gotten if we had made it through the whole scavenger hunt? Or had you not decided yet?

crazypainterPosted Today, 12:58 AM QUOTE (unreality @ Aug 15 2008, 03:55 PM) post_snapback.gifthis is the Discussion thread- not related to any specific Mafia game, anyone can post on it :P

Doh!

*hits head*

sorry :wacko: It must be the heat.....

Sooo sorry LIS.

I didnt vote for you though!

Seemed like a frame up/ bandwagon thing going on...and the last bit goes in mafia VI thread - am off to bed

Just wanna say pls pls pls stop spamming the mafia VI thread ppl- I wld like to read on to the end - but also to all let me say that you make it more dificult for youself too

Good luck all - i hope mafia win - they are kicking the innocents all over the place - seemed unfair they could ask for ALL those things - is there no limit? not that it matters for current game with the SV role gone - great role

Edited by Lost in space

I think a lot of things need major rethinking. PG is right, the SV is a lady to play. For the most part because you have all this information, and you have to decide what you can get away with telling the mafia and what you will have to cough up to keep from dying. I feel your pain PG.

The yakuza, although an interesting idea, seem to have ended up as basically gimped mafia. They are like the mafia, and make it tougher for the innocents by adding another kill each night, bringing the death possibilities up to four (mafia, GR, QA, yakuza), but at the same time they lack the info or skills of the mafia. Their skills basically make them backup bankrollers, one after the other.

The QA are almost broken now. With two instead of three, it becomes that much harder to find each other, and they still need to find each other before killing anyone. Next, they need to find and eliminate the GR, who is, as BrandonB said, one of the most elusive baddies in the game. Finally, they need to find and eliminate the Phoenix once the GR is gone, and without him being lynched or mafia-killed accidentally. And, unlike the mafia, they have to do most of their info-gathering in the public limelight, since they have no way of obtaining any more detailed info than "baddie/innocent" undercover. All this time, the vagabond is watching closely for any clues, and with a tag every night, he can go on random shooting sprees. 2 out of x, where x decreases daily, means that it is highly likely that just by firing randomly, if both QAs survive until late game they will be dead by pure luck, let alone with all the open communication they use.

The policeman's role seems unclear to me as well. He can hardly help the innocents, because almost every baddie can perform his ability anyways (mafia can kill etc), and the person in jail can't be saved, while the rules seem to indicate that in some cases he can be killed.

The tax collector's ability is interesting, but the restriction that it be used early means that it is hard for him to influence any vote (when was the last time that you saw a clear loser halfway through the vote?).

All I can say is, unreality is a god for the way he has held this shattered game together. His storytelling, rapid response and professional bearing (as the host at least ;) ) are what made this game awesome, and I'm glad he is our host.

I think a lot of things need major rethinking. PG is right, the SV is a lady to play. For the most part because you have all this information, and you have to decide what you can get away with telling the mafia and what you will have to cough up to keep from dying. I feel your pain PG.

the role takes a lot of skill to play- it's not a simple-fire role that you may like, but others like the intellectual and strategical challenge. If you play more Mafia games, you would understand :)

The yakuza, although an interesting idea, seem to have ended up as basically gimped mafia. They are like the mafia, and make it tougher for the innocents by adding another kill each night, bringing the death possibilities up to four (mafia, GR, QA, yakuza), but at the same time they lack the info or skills of the mafia. Their skills basically make them backup bankrollers, one after the other.

actually, you have no clue as to the Yakuza's true abilities and/or goal. So I would shut up about them if I were you ;D hehe

The QA are almost broken now. With two instead of three, it becomes that much harder to find each other, and they still need to find each other before killing anyone. Next, they need to find and eliminate the GR, who is, as BrandonB said, one of the most elusive baddies in the game. Finally, they need to find and eliminate the Phoenix once the GR is gone, and without him being lynched or mafia-killed accidentally. And, unlike the mafia, they have to do most of their info-gathering in the public limelight, since they have no way of obtaining any more detailed info than "baddie/innocent" undercover. All this time, the vagabond is watching closely for any clues, and with a tag every night, he can go on random shooting sprees. 2 out of x, where x decreases daily, means that it is highly likely that just by firing randomly, if both QAs survive until late game they will be dead by pure luck, let alone with all the open communication they use.

wrong again, sorry. With less, they can be more evasive, and with only 1 other QA instead of 2 others, they can figure out what the other person is attempting to do and meet up easier- and there's never 2 with 1 out of the loop. Space had to be made for the Yakuza, so a QA had to be removed, which has little impact. Yes the QAs have to play a smart game to survive and keep under the targeting radars, but their win condition is the easiest of all the baddies (to make up for this) and are seen as one of the biggest baddie threats in the game. Just because we amped up the Mafia win chance in this game (they have to kill EVERYONE except themselves and Yakuza) doesn't mean the other baddies suddenly suck. Trust me, we (not just me that came up with these rules, experienced Mafia players such as Bb and Frost worked with me) know a lot about game balance in this game

The policeman's role seems unclear to me as well. He can hardly help the innocents, because almost every baddie can perform his ability anyways (mafia can kill etc), and the person in jail can't be saved, while the rules seem to indicate that in some cases he can be killed.

I agree on this one (see I'm not just being contrarian :D), the Policeman needs some touching up- as do all roles when they are first introduced. This is a testing ground for the Policeman, and I already know a few things I would change, but so far I think it's been a success, though it hasn't accomplished much yet

The tax collector's ability is interesting, but the restriction that it be used early means that it is hard for him to influence any vote (when was the last time that you saw a clear loser halfway through the vote?).

And if he were to use it later, the lynch vote is almost a full sway toward one person, and would thus have little effect. When you've watched as many Mafia days as I, you see that the middle and early middle of the day is the most important part of the day, when the important decisions are made and the lynching 'ballot' so to speak is determined. Taking out someone's vote while the day is still halfway or less through has much more effect than removing someone at the end when the winner is set anyway

All I can say is, unreality is a god for the way he has held this shattered game together. His storytelling, rapid response and professional bearing (as the host at least ;) ) are what made this game awesome, and I'm glad he is our host.

I bet I could rock the SV role..

I make a mean fish taco...

grilled, not fried, with lime and cabbage..

oh... gots me the munchies...

ok so this in not just a waste post...

Where is LM?

Who is replacing PwO??

nighty night sweet hearts!

Goodnight moon..

okay post it here though its relative direct to mafia VI

read my last post in mafia VI

re rule 3 = 24 hour day "sorry LIS, rules are rules"

re inactives shld leave = ESJ inactive

whats the point of you going through this mental pain and then brining it on yourself - i dont want you to think its personal - i agreed on following the rules despite the vote turning in my favor and the GR wld be down

these are crucial to making the next game less contentious - your game, your desicion = reap rewards or take the flack if you break your own rules - I had to live(die) by them :rolleyes:

not a shout - just calling it how i see it

okay post it here though its relative direct to mafia VI

read my last post in mafia VI

re rule 3 = 24 hour day "sorry LIS, rules are rules"

re inactives shld leave = ESJ inactive

whats the point of you going through this mental pain and then brining it on yourself - i dont want you to think its personal - i agreed on following the rules despite the vote turning in my favor and the GR wld be down

these are crucial to making the next game less contentious - your game, your desicion = reap rewards or take the flack if you break your own rules - I had to live(die) by them :rolleyes:

not a shout - just calling it how i see it

Well, one could argue that ESJ hasn't been missing for a "day". There were several others who didn't post over the night. ESJ just stands out for his complete lack of mentionable posts, even though he has been online since his last one.

Clueless: I agree. He's never been particularly active, but this game it's even less so

This is the wrong place to discuss this, I think, since it does affect the game significantly and directly.

OK, a few ideas on revising roles, and a new role:

1. Ninja Defense (night two only). Of course the ninja may not feel comfortable killing someone this early in the game. So rather than just not do anything, the ninja can choose to defend themselves. So if anyone attacks the ninja that night, the ninja will instead kill that person, OR PREFERABLY disable their baddie ability for the next night (if they have a specific ability). It only applies against the baddies, and obviously the ninja survives either way.

2. Keep the SV, but make it so that the Mafia knows who the SV is and must use a kill on the SV. The mafia will still be able to kill the SV abruptly at any time, but the Mafiosos will not be able to kill someone else on the night following the SV dispatch.

3. Defender- Right now the defender saves 2 at once (the ninja AND someone from a QA) I like the idea, being the "defender" and all, but how can the defender be two places at once if they are supposed to be watching one person's house each night? Maybe we can tweak the defender another way.

4. (NEW ROLE) The Metamorph (abrv MM) - Can choose to be any night time role in the game (except for the ninja). However if whatever role the MM chooses will be the role that they are identified as for the following day. Ex. If the Metamorph decides to spy someone (as in the QA/Godfather ability), they are considered a QA/mafioso to the spy and the inspector (depending on the night and whether there are living members of the faction), but is ALWAYS considered their role in the case of an innocent for the lie detection. If the MM decides to kill, they are considered a LIVING member of the baddie community (QA, GR, Mafia, Yakuza... roll the die to decide) for the same reasons. If they choose to save, defend from QAs, Defend from Yakuza, or the Janitor (and whatever else is a night time innocent) they are seen as that role (living or dead) the following day.

2. Keep the SV, but make it so that the Mafia knows who the SV is and must use a kill on the SV. The mafia will still be able to kill the SV abruptly at any time, but the Mafiosos will not be able to kill someone else on the night following the SV dispatch.

That really removes all of the power that the mafia has over the SV. They wouldn't want to waste a kill on the SV, it would only help the innocents more.

3. Defender- Right now the defender saves 2 at once (the ninja AND someone from a QA) I like the idea, being the "defender" and all, but how can the defender be two places at once if they are supposed to be watching one person's house each night? Maybe we can tweak the defender another way.

The Defender saves from Yakuza, but I see your point.

Edited by Frost

OK, a few ideas on revising roles, and a new role:

1. Ninja Defense (night two only). Of course the ninja may not feel comfortable killing someone this early in the game. So rather than just not do anything, the ninja can choose to defend themselves. So if anyone attacks the ninja that night, the ninja will instead kill that person, OR PREFERABLY disable their baddie ability for the next night (if they have a specific ability). It only applies against the baddies, and obviously the ninja survives either way.

that means the baddie now knows who the ninja is, attacker will have to have amnesia-either way has to be unable to recognise the ninja

yep was gonna say that too - also limit the demands - or alow the PM to gain some info with similat hold over SV the demands are too strong

The yakuza can be prevented that night before or after the ninja attack - while he ninja is at home - but yes its a bit of an awsome night but now the anti for baddie win is up and has to be balanced, perhaps PM can be a bit more active in that role - its a blind guess anyway (police surveilance)
4. (NEW ROLE) The Metamorph (abrv MM) - Can choose to be any night time role in the game (except for the ninja). However if whatever role the MM chooses will be the role that they are identified as for the following day. Ex. If the Metamorph decides to spy someone (as in the QA/Godfather ability), they are considered a QA/mafioso to the spy and the inspector (depending on the night and whether there are living members of the faction), but is ALWAYS considered their role in the case of an innocent for the lie detection. If the MM decides to kill, they are considered a LIVING member of the baddie community (QA, GR, Mafia, Yakuza... roll the die to decide) for the same reasons. If they choose to save, defend from QAs, Defend from Yakuza, or the Janitor (and whatever else is a night time innocent) they are seen as that role (living or dead) the following day.
GR ????? Two vagabonds ???? do they btsc - it does not work or neads a tweak

The bomb is not too powerful anymore which is good - but probably needs a differnet effect rather than lie detect, perhaps use x-ray vision to view whats going on like a spy, or radar to warn someone - can only be a guess, the lie detector is too hard to use - perhaps just use it once

mafia in mafia VI - had some seriously heavy mssgs - these are too powerful/demanding

some opinions - rules and roles are more fun with all the complications and means players must be more observant - The spacing and title/bold type will make a difference for beginners + the role has to be able to be written simply

that means the baddie now knows who the ninja is, attacker will have to have amnesia-either way has to be unable to recognise the ninja.
The baddies would already get to know who the ninja is if they pick the ninja at night. B/c the ninja doesn't die. This idea doesn't cause any of the stuff you suggested, all it does is create a repercussion for the baddies if they accidentally pick the ninja.

yep was gonna say that too - also limit the demands - or alow the PM to gain some info with similat hold over SV the demands are too strong
limiting the demands kinda kills the point.

The yakuza can be prevented that night before or after the ninja attack - while he ninja is at home - but yes its a bit of an awsome night but now the anti for baddie win is up and has to be balanced, perhaps PM can be a bit more active in that role - its a blind guess anyway (police surveilance)
If the defender is defending someone, realistically they can't prevent anything else that night. Who's to say something happens before/after anything? If the defender is guarding the ninja's house, then what happens? The defender would leave the ninja's house at some random point in the night, leaving the ninja vulnerable, and go stand at someone else's house which may or may not be attacked. It's just not possible unless the ninja, and the defender's pick both have a 50% chance of dying when picked.

GR ????? Two vagabonds ???? do they btsc - it does not work or neads a tweak
huh? the MM is a single character, not two characters. I forgot to include at the beginning of the description that "Each night the MM gets to choose to use the ability of any other night time character...." They don't get to be the other character, they just copy the ability for that night and the following day, with the downfall of something similar to the thief's ability as a side effect.

The bomb is not too powerful anymore which is good - but probably needs a differnet effect rather than lie detect, perhaps use x-ray vision to view whats going on like a spy, or radar to warn someone - can only be a guess, the lie detector is too hard to use - perhaps just use it once
I agree, the SB is not too terribly powerful anymore. but what other effect can their be? The SB already gets a chance to kill whoever tries to kill him/her, gets to attack someone with the explosive ability, AND gets to use a weakened lie detect. If anything one of those 3 abilities needs to go. Though I think it's pretty well balanced the way that it is. It's a complex role, but there are lots of options.

mafia in mafia VI - had some seriously heavy mssgs - these are too powerful/demanding
I was kinda impressed by how the message went, and the effect that it had. I don't think it was too powerful because the innocents didn't obey it. Sure it had a strong effect on them, but it's not like they were forced to do anything. Besides, what else can it be if not demanding?

he he - hope i rember to recall thie above when the game is finnished - demanding yes, three demands - NO!

SB lynch

Janitor information

SV - name

awsome requests -

needs a little toning..... sorry if this does not suit eager beavers - i am one

I am loving the game, the roles are becoming complicated - still think the time zones are a bunch of crock and should stretch to 36 hours to allow replies to replies - i new me/defender wld be lynched and coming out earlier due to time zones wld be the bttr way, but chose to leave it - I had to defend and talk to myself until outing my role when more ppl are on - they are not on morning to noon mostly during the week and if they are they are skimming - not absorbing info/posts

36 hour days - weekends are easier if you have no life but still say it should be 36 hrs

we keep rushing some ppl - we need the rules as readable - roles are adapting - it cld be better to change the scenario, like pengville with yetis etc that change the name and means the role is for that character only

inactive - kill in the day/night post and not let them back in, and leave them aout for TWO games (one is a break, two is gonna leave them chomping) - it's hard luck or laziness, but no messing, looking at other mafias the quite ones are getting buys - the ones try to push the game (activate ppl, poking into alert), are getting shredded

Edited by Lost in space

Looks like the innocents have the edge in this game. Does anyone know about a VII? I think he may take a break for a week. I should be able to participate if so. PG will not be around much anymore if at all so any questions will be directed to her profile. It is not our fault so if you lynched her, that was not why. Y-san is done it looks like. I will try to print up a new puzzle if there is time. cy'all8r.

Trying to get ppl to stop posting in the MafiaVI thread is like trying to heard cats.

Not going to happen.

When we read the posts to catch up and read something we must

reply to, most of us will just hit the reply at the base of that post.

We have no idea what else has been said after.

Doesnt have to make sense. Emotions trump reason in all of us.

We have all done it.

One of the reasons we all have used the edit button.

We are all human and all make mistakes.

Anyone who denies it is lying to themselves.

There is only one other thing we all do but we dont

admit to.