BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Beggar

unreality

Question

let me start if off with the Beggar I just came up with: (it's an expansion of the 5-day winner idea)

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 5 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

Edited by bonanova

• Answers 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Any chance you can highlight, or otherwise make known, what you've changed in each revision? It all starts to look the same after a while.

woops sorry... I changed other stuff than just "gangs of denbrain"

hehe I won't post another one until I've made lots more changes

Have you rejected the policeman as one of the other roles? or are you still considering it?

oh, still considering all of them. Anyone wanna bring another one to interest? Or vote to put the Beggar out of business? I think we have too many independent roles and factions, I don't know why Beggar was listed under Innocent....

woops sorry... I changed other stuff than just "gangs of denbrain"

hehe I won't post another one until I've made lots more changes

oh, still considering all of them. Anyone wanna bring another one to interest? Or vote to put the Beggar out of business? I think we have too many independent roles and factions, I don't know why Beggar was listed under Innocent....

The Oracle :P

Off the topic of future roles, but I didn't want to bring an off topic thing into the Mafia V forum. I can see how this game is so addicting though! I read and followed the past ones, and thought it was cool, but didn't get the addiction until playing this one. I am constantly checking it at work, and am completely craving the results of lynchings or murders by night. Maybe I will even start having mafia dreams...weird...

yup, I had a mafia dream last night...weird

Edit: No car accidents yet caused by Mafia plotting. Fingers crossed...

Edited by dusty_b109

Lol...and the complexity continues to grow...

I like the Yakuza idea...hopefully their initial goal is something in competition with the Mafia? Then if they fail and are "defeated" by the Mafia, they are honor-bound to hail the Mafia as their masters...

I haven't had a Mafia dream, but once, after playing like 6 hours of DDR I closed my eyes and saw arrows going up my eyelids...<- ->

After reading Mafia V I would also suggest a "Hand Of God" HOG role

Basically they are immortal until they complete one task which can be given to them at any time by the host god. Once the task has been given they are mortal. If they can complete the task and "get the game back on track" they then win with the innocents(or baddies if the host god is so inclined)

After reading Mafia V I would also suggest a "Hand Of God" HOG role

Basically they are immortal until they complete one task which can be given to them at any time by the host god. Once the task has been given they are mortal. If they can complete the task and "get the game back on track" they then win with the innocents(or baddies if the host god is so inclined)

haha I think we all know why you suggested this, but Mafia VI won't require this. There will no unfairness, no arguments, and the roles will be 100% random, NO MATTER WHAT

slick asking about when (if ever) to come out with your role gave me an idea... this is "mafia discussion" after all... does anyone have any questions about strategy or anything? I (and others, I'm sure) will be glad to answer or give you tips. Obviously not advice for playing your role in Mafia V lol, but just in general or w/e

does anyone have any questions about strategy or anything? I (and others, I'm sure) will be glad to answer or give you tips.

Yeah. How do you convince 18 people not to lynch you once you're a confirmed baddie?

As I said earlier I dont think the Spy should be changed, however I have a rule to prevent the Doctors/Healers keeping roles like this alive continiously (which I think would even Up the odds in cases when protectiors can keep key players alive indefinatly.

I suggest that if a protected goodey is targeted, they are healed. If they are targeted by 2 factions, the first hurts the goodey then the Doctor heals him. Then the second baddy kills the Doctor. If 3 factions attack the same guy both protector and goody die (unless there are 2 protectors in which case both die). I think this wold allow the badies to remove key protected players at the cost of having most inconents alive in the next "daytime vote of death". Any feedback on this would be encoraged?

bringing taliesin's suggestions over here to the discussion thread. some interesting possibilites, here.

bringing taliesin's suggestions over here to the discussion thread. some interesting possibilites, here.

Thanks I was going to get to it in the morning (after I wake up) its 4:30am, and I should be asleep!

here is Mafia VI so far, though I know that CL and Bb have some ideas based on what roles they have for Mafia V, so once I die I can chat with them about that to help make Mafia VI better:

Mafia VI

** Gangs of Denbrain **

Basic Overview: Baddies (and Ninja) strike at night, while the Innocents try to lynch them during the day by majority vote

RULES:

1) only play if you've read the rules, the roles, the strategy tips and previous Mafia games!!! You need to know what you're getting into and how much time it takes up :D

2) no PMing behind the scenes!!!! Not only is this one of the stupidest things you could do in Mafia (you don't know who you're giving your role to and who is asking for your role, etc), even if you do know another person's role (or think you do) you can't PM them behind the scenes OR CONTACT THEM IN ANY WAY. There are notable exceptions, which will be mentioned later. If you aren't one of the exceptions, forget about BTSC (behind-the-scenes-contact)

3) each day in Mafia-time will finish 24 hours after the night post, and if you haven't voted/discussed/participated/etc during that time, you will be out of the game for inactivity. This time is set in stone and will be the end time no matter if everyone is done voting before this. Each night will end 18 hours after the day ends, however if I get all the necessary PMs in before the 18 hours, I will do the night post then. I'll probably extend night post estimates to when I'm awake and stuff (ie, I might say "night post in 20 hours" if I know I'll be awake and ready in 20 hours)

4) please don't be rude ;D be nice and courteous and respectful

5) after you die, you can post in the topic, but only once (it's called your "ghost post") not about anything important- ie, you can't reveal your role, make arguments, take part in strategy discussions, etc. And you have to post in GRAY!

6) Mafia is fun :D I will be choosing the final roster of 21 players, picking from the signer-uppers very carefully. I don't want to leave anyone out, but I don't want to have any inactives. If you weren't picked, it may be that we just don't have any room, and I won't be accepting any late-joiners either, it messes up the game (cough Mafia 1 cough Mafia III). We do have a backup list, though. So please keep that in mind, and also Mafia is a game of elimination, sort of... so don't be mad or sad if/when you die :P

7) this rule may be unnecessary but you should never challenge the host ;D hehehehe

A Few Points to Keep in Mind:

1) There will be no clues in any day posts

2) There will not be any clues in night posts

3) Acting on a clue is stupid. I put them into Mafia II so they could be chuckled at retrospectively, not acted on during the game, which fueled bad gameplay in Mafia IV and V especially

4) If someone outs their role, that does not mean they are that role. And even if someone contradicts soon and says that THEY are that role, that means nothing either. Be smart and not trusting. The Doctor and Healer don't have as much saving-power as you might think, and it's risky to come out with a role, especially an Inspector or Spy-like role

now for the best part...

ROLES:

21 peope: 8 baddies, 13 Innocents

baddies:

* 3 Mafiosos (Godfather, Thief, Bankroller) - know who each other are. Can converse freely all the time. The Mafia kills each night. Each of the Mafiosos' special abilities are useable any night but not 2 nights in a row

* 2 Quarky Agents (Master of Espionage, Master of Deception) - do not know who each other are (at first). The QAs kill each night. Must have both to kill. If they do both pick the same person, they get BTSC

* 2 Yakuza (Oyabun, Shatei) - a new gang in Denbrain who have BTSC, straight out of the archipelagos of the Far East. The Yakuza kills on even nights only, until absorbed by the expanding Mafia crime family

* 1 Grim Reaper - a solo spectre of darkness who kills every even-numbered night. Invincible for first night and first day

win conditions for baddies:

* Mafia - kill everyone except Mafiosos and Yakuza (regardless of what stage of their game the Yakuza is at)

* QAs - kill the Phoenix. However, Lord Phoenix is invincible to the QAs until his/her transformation after the GR dies. If the QAs fail to kill the Phoenix somehow, they are immediately notified (and are given BTSC) and a secondary mission is given: lynch a specific person the next day (the person is chosen randomly by me and is not a QA). If the QAs fail the secondary mission, their aliases are discovered and they are mass-lynched along with the actual person being lynched

* Yakuza - the Yakuza have their own gang goals, but if their goals fail, they will team up with the Mafia. The goals are unknown to the Innocents (and every other non-Yakuza baddie), but everyone will be notified if the Yakuza fail, and after that the Yakuza will win with the Mafia, but NOT be able to contact the Mafia

* GR - kill the Ninja. If the Grim Reaper fails to kill the Ninja (ie, the Ninja dies some other way), the GR is outta the game

mafia special roles:

* Godfather - [any night, not 2x in a row] see the faction of 1 person (a faction is: mafia/innocent/QA/yakuza/GR). The Godfather is told instantly and thus can act on that information that night

* Thief - [any night, not 2x in a row] steal from 1 person and assume their identity the next day if the Spy investigates or if Inspector is getting the Thief's identity PMed the next day

* Bankroller - [any night, not 2x in a row] send the host a message which will be posted in the night post- ie, a "message from the Mafia"

Quarky Agent roles:

* Master of Deception - if the SB lie-detects a statement by the MoD, the MoD can decide what my reply will be (true, false, does not know)

* Master of Espionage - can spy on one person every night. Gets told "innocent" or "baddie" only after the night post. Can be influenced by the Thief

Yakuza roles:

* Oyabun - the master of the small Yakuza crime ring. The Oyabun's ability is similar to the Bankroller's, and it can also be used any night, but not 2 nights in a row. The Oyabun's messages may contain special code that has to do with the Yakuza's goal

* Shatei - a common goon of the Yakuza. Has no abilities, but if the Oyabun dies before the Shatei, the Shatei takes the Oyabun's place and gains the Oyabun's ability

Grim Reaper ability: the Grim Reaper has an ability called "death scent" which he/she can use on odd nights (ie, the nights that the GR doesn't kill). Death scent allows the GR to "sniff" one player. If/when that player is killed, the Grim Reaper is given a random living member of the faction of the killers. If the faction that killed the player has no living members, the GR is informed of this. If the person is killed by the Warlock, the GR is given the Warlock's identity. If the person is lynched, the GR is told the name of a random living Innocent. The player that is 'sniffed' is informed that they have been 'sniffed', but the group as a whole is not

*** All Mafia abilities as well as the MoE's ability, the Oyabun's ability and the GR's ability, must be PMed to me separately before the night is over. I won't wait for a decision on whether or not to use the abilitity. Same with the SB's lie-detect & suicide-bomb abilities

Innocents: win by killing all the baddies. Each Innocent has a special role...

saving roles = Doctor, Healer, Lord Phoenix

* Doctor - save one person each night. Not same person 2 nights in a row. Can save self only once. Gets a bonus save on even nights which saves against everyone except the GR

* Healer - same as Doctor, but different methods of medicine

* Lord Phoenix - [cannot be killed by QAs] the master of Denbrain. Little do people know, Lord Phoenix is actually a real phoenix- a bird of fire. This fiery phantasm is capable of repelling the spectral Grim Reaper, and Lord Phoenix takes full use of this, saving people on even nights from the Grim Reaper. If Lord Phoenix is targeted on an even night while he/she is out protecting against the GR, the night post says that the player wasn't there, but does not give the identity of Lord Phoenix. Once the Grim Reaper dies, Lord Phoenix will discover his/her true calling as 'the Phoenix', and transform permanently into the firebird, and discover another purpose (which has to do with saving people, but the common Innocent doesn't know what it is). However, after this transformation, Lord Phoenix becomes vulnerable to the QAs

discovery roles = Inspector, Spy, Suicide Bomber

* Inspector - [knows Suicide Bomber] gets PMed, every day, a baddie identity in this order: Mafia, QA, Mafia, QA, Mafia, QA. The order is determined at the beginning of the game by me randomly, so dead people may be included. The Inspector is fresh out of Pengville and is not familiar with how the Yakuza works, and of course the GR is un-Inspectable

* Spy - PMs me one player each day, I reveal their role, but not specific role within a baddie faction. If they are Innocent, however, the role-reveal is as specific as possible

* Suicide Bomber - [knows Inspector & is known by Mafia] the Suicide Bomber is an ex-terrorist who is now sided with the Innocents. At any point DURING THE DAY ONLY, the SB can PM to me a victim, and both the SB and the victim die in the explosion. I will make it unclear which of the two was the SB and which of the two was the victim. There is a 1/4 chance that the SB will survive, and a 1/4 that the victim will survive- those events are independent so there is a 1/16 chance both will survive. Again, it will be unknown which of the two (SB or victim) that any survivor(s) are. When the SB PMs in the target, they can either choose to have it announced immediately, or in the day post. If the SB is lynched, they'll be PMed a prompt if they want to blow someone up at the lynching, otherwise it's a normal lynching. If the SB is killed at night, there is a 2/3 chance they will blow up and kill a random one of their attackers. The explosion does not affect the Grim Reaper whether done at night or in the day, so the Grim Reaper will be seen as one of the "survivors" if at day, or if at night, the Grim Reaper will just scythe down the SB as if the 1/3 chance of no explosion occurred. Also, the Suicide Bomber, being an ex-terrorist, is highly skilled at torture and knows when people are lying. Any night, but not 2 nights in a row, the SB can pick one TRUE/FALSE statement that someone has said and PMs it in. I will tell them one of three options: (1) TRUE, (2) FALSE, or (3) the person who said this statement does not know whether it is true or false. The person quoted MUST be still alive. If the person quoted is the MoD, the MoD is PMed and can choose my reply (TRUE/FALSE/does not know)

killing roles = Ninja and his/her Defender

* Defender - [knows who Ninja is] no special powers on their own. No matter when the Defender dies, his/her role is revealed

* Ninja - [does not know who Defender is] ancient warrior and nemesis of the Grim Reaper. While the Defender is alive, the Ninja cannot be killed at night, but the Ninja can be lynched any time. The Ninja kills for the Innocents on odd nights except the 1st night. When/if the Defender dies, the Ninja is vulnerable at night

other roles = Janitor, Vagabond, ??, ??, ??

* Janitor - the Janitor, after his/her many years of watching and learning, has adopted many vital skills. Each night, I roll a 6-sided dice to determine the action of the Janitor (saving, killing, guarding [1/2 kill attacker, 1/2 die for the charge], discovering specific role (as per Spy), impersonating, or free choice of the previous 5 if a 6 is rolled). The Janitor picks a person other than themself and then I tell them what the action is, to which they can either decline or carry out the action (or choose the action to carry out, if I rolled a 6)

* Vagabond - also known as the Wanderer, the Vagabond wanders around the world, and has seen the ruthless expansion of Quarky, and thus is aligned against the Quarky Agents. The Vagabond, from his/her travel experiences, knows a way to tag suspects, and if the tagged person is a QA, they will dissolved by the taggant chemical the next day (regardless of whether the Vagabond is still alive). The Vagabond is a semi-independent character and wins by killing BOTH Quarky Agents in this manner. Otherwise, the Vagabond wins with the Innocents. If the Vagabond tags the Defender, they are both immediately notified and the Vagabond and Defender get BTSC on the spot

* ??

* ??

* ??

Additional Roles:

These are roles that are independent of your main role...

* Tiebreaker - randomly determined by me. If there is a lynching tie, and the Tiebreaker is on one of the tying sides, that side wins. If there is a tie but the Tiebreaker is NOT on one of the tying sides, someone has to switch to break the tie

* Masked Lovers - these tragic romantics don't know who the other Lover is, but if one of the Lovers is lynched, they recognize their Lover and the two die together. The Lovers, being tragic and all, consist of 1 Mafioso and 1 Innocent. Thus both Lovers are informed that they are a Lover, but not the identity of their fellow Lover

BTSC:

* Mafia has BTSC

* Yakuza has BTSC

* the two QAs only get BTSC after they both pick the same person to kill

* the Inspector and Suicide Bomber have full BTSC all the time

* the Doctor and Healer get BTSC if:

** they both save the same person

** they both save each other

** one of them saves the other

* the Vagabond and Defender get BTSC if the Vagabond tags the Defender