BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Some Riddles

Question

Some old riddles from a Lit class in College:

1) I went into the forest and I got it. When I got it I looked for it, but couldn't find it, so I brought it home in my hand.

2) Born long ago, but made yesterday.

and only employed when others sleep.

What few would wish to give away,

But none would wish forever to keep.

3) I went to Boston and stopped there, and I never went there, and I came home again.

My attempt to make one: (I think it's not that bad )

4) Earth and Water, Fire and Air

Look o'er the earth, you’ll not see me there

Water I make when fire ignites

As air a harbinger of final rites

• Downvote 1

Those were good riddles. Couldn't figure out a single one of them. I understand the answers but i don't get the 2nd part to the 3rd one. "I never went there and I came home again?" what do you mean?

As for the third one, I personally thought it was an odd man who refused to 'go' (in reference to, how would you say, taking a crap) while he was in boston. It's a weird answer, but it works, and that's what matters. :D

I know it's a bed, but I don't like the last line. Lots of people have very nice and/or antique beds, which they very well might like to keep in the family forever.

"keeping one's bed" is what one did when they were either too sick to get up or felt they must stay there in order to get well.

Edited by Kev_a_Swing_Dancer

number 3 does not make sense to me. why did the watch have to go home. why not new york. california. and when has the word went ever meant worked. if someone could explain

For your second question, I disagree with the wording as well, it didn't seem clear, but I think it means that a watch "working" would be that it "went" forward in its time measurement. Just how I interpreted it...

Edited by Blazer