BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I am an average chess player and take on a bet that I will beat at least 1/2 of a grouping of say 12 of the best chess players in the world. Better still, I will play them simultaneously.

How can I do that?

17 answers to this question

So this would require you to alternate playing White and Black, playing Black on the odd boards (1,3,5,7,9,11) and White on the even boards (2,4,6,8,10,12). Whenever White makes a move on board N, you will make the same move on board N-1, and whenever Black makes a move on board M, you will make the same move on board M+1. Effectively, the grandmasters will be playing against each other's moves and you will be guaranteed at least an even score (whenever you lose a game, you will win a different game because you will be playing the same position with the other color on another board).

Either do that, or make a deal with the devil.

Play a game other than Chess: one in which you have a better than 50/50 chance of winning. Maybe heads or tails with a trick coin (though this doesn't *guarantee* you'll win more than half)

Personally, I'd take them on at fives. I'd back myself against any 'best chess player'!

If you have to play chess, you would simply echo one players moves with another. You take Opposition A's move, and play it against Opposition B. Then take Opposition B's response back to Opposition A.

Guaranteed draw or better against at least half.

Edited by foolonthehill

are the games timed games btw?

If so:

spend incredibly long on each move, and then wait for them to fall asleep and hope that at least six of them knock over their own king!

So this would require you to alternate playing White and Black, playing Black on the odd boards (1,3,5,7,9,11) and White on the even boards (2,4,6,8,10,12). Whenever White makes a move on board N, you will make the same move on board N-1, and whenever Black makes a move on board M, you will make the same move on board M+1. Effectively, the grandmasters will be playing against each other's moves and you will be guaranteed at least an even score (whenever you lose a game, you will win a different game because you will be playing the same position with the other color on another board).

Either do that, or make a deal with the devil.

That's really clever.

You're not playing chess against them... maybe you're just playing heads or tails or some other 50/50 game of chance?

Edited by cheechill

I am an average chess player and take on a bet that I will beat at least 1/2 of a grouping of say 12 of the best chess players in the world. Better still, I will play them simultaneously.

How can I do that?

The solution you have in mind may lose you your bet. There are draws, you know... And draw is not win.

Also, it would not work in practice. When giving a simul, your opponents make their move when you come to their board, and you are expected to make your move before going to the next board.

How can I do that?

Go for it Flogger!

It is very easy, but I think someone already said the answer.

Simultaneous games are played with reverse colors (white-black-white-black.) So all you have to do is a) start with white and copy the move the second guy (who is playing white against you) makes. Then, at the second board, you copy the move the first guy makes. Same for 3rd & 4th, 5th & 6th, and so on. This way, it is the same as them playing each other and you should automatically win six games (and lose six games.)

As an added note, you cannot do this in real life since it breaks chess etiquette. When playing simultaneous games, you cannot wait for an opponent at another desk to make a move. In other words, you play as fast as you can.

This is interesting,

The question "How can i do that?" Is linked to the previous sentence, "Better still, I will play them simultaneously. "

How can you play them simultaneously?

Any answer that addresses "HOW" therefore can be correct, so to speak. especially based on opinion.

If you asked, What are the best statistical odds in winning at least half of the chess games?

That would be the previous answer by CHUCK.

If you did rotate like that. That doesn't guarantee you would win half of the games. Because on the first chess board you must make one move on your own without any chess masters moves or help. There in lies the Butterfly effect. You would be responsible for only one move out of all the chess games and total moves combined and put a chink in the cycle. you could(can) theoretically win all games or lose all games.

HOW? By chance, luck, statistics, dehydration of a player...ad infinitum.

How can I do that?

this never said you have to beat them at chess. You could beat them at Candyland(or with a stick)!!!!

yes derren brown did this, and he is amazing, and my hero! and nobody else could ever really do this ever again. he is too good.

150 posts! (i didnt notice my 100th lol)

Edited by Georgie