BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

akaslickster

Question

when i stare at it for a while it just looks like red white and blue diagonal stripes going up and then re-emerging at the bottom

otherwise it looks like a spiral going up.

I agree.

If you stare at the top (just above the part where the pattern seems to move) it will go up without turnig around its axis. But otherwise it seems to turn.

It is true that it is hypnotizziiinnngggggg...... :wacko:

Edit: now that I looked at it again it only goes up... weird

Edited by rilili

barber_pole3.gif Is it going up or going down? Let your brain decide.

Well What Is going up and what is going down .. u should be precise next time .. and by the way its revolving around its axis ..

stop wasting my time guyz .. lool :)

umm.... just so we're clear everyone knows that it's just spinning. No up and down motion whatsoever, right? [ok, just checking]

Also, the illusion is that the colors are moving up ONLY.

In order for them to appear to be moving down the pole would have to be spinning in the opposite direction.

umm.... just so we're clear everyone knows that it's just spinning. No up and down motion whatsoever, right? [ok, just checking]

Also, the illusion is that the colors are moving up ONLY.

In order for them to appear to be moving down the pole would have to be spinning in the opposite direction.

Actually in this 2D environment there is no spinning, only the perception of spinning caused by the pattern moving, as I perceive it, from right to left.

If you mean that White is not a color then I disagree. To me it appears that there are three ribbons completely filling the space and all of which are moving upward, not just two, blue and red, on an unmoving white background. Could be red and white ribbons on a blue background as well I suppose...or blue and white on red.

I think you could cause the appearance of downward motion with the pattern moving in the same direction if you carefully manipulated the speed with which the pattern moves and the refresh rate [or shutter speed] of the monitor displaying [camera catching] the 'spinning' pole. Something akin to the appearance of a wheel revolving backwards as a vehicle proceeds forward.

Edited by Jeff Gates

Sorry to not inform ya'll of the fact that this object is turning like a cylinder on a turntable. One needs to keep it in mind. The only misrepresentation of what is seen, are the painted colors on this cylinder shape. This was used in the early 20th century, to hint that it is haircut time, and come one come all to attract the guys to spend. ;)

I agree.

If you stare at the top (just above the part where the pattern seems to move) it will go up without turnig around its axis. But otherwise it seems to turn.

It is true that it is hypnotizziiinnngggggg...... :wacko:

Edit: now that I looked at it again it only goes up... weird

Its going up........