BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Lost Time

Question

Here's one I made up:

Forman leaves the United States in a private jet. He flies 4 hours south non-stop and arrives in a new country. He then leaves once more and flies 4 hours south non-stop and arrives in a third country. He accurately logged his departure and arrival times.

When Forman checks his flight log it says the following:

Depart, 9 am Tuesday

Arrive, 1 pm Wednesday

Depart, 2 pm Wednesday

Arrive, 6 pm Tuesday

How could this be?

Forman leaves from Honolulu, Hawaii and flies south to Kiritimati. He then flies south to Bora Bora. The International dateline is oriented such in this area that crossing south, then south again is equivalent to crossing west, then east again. This also works for any location from Hawaii to the Line Islands to the Society Islands.

7 answers to this question

Not really that good, since you have to have knowledge (that's not common) from outside the puzzle.

Well, it's more of a riddle than a logic problem. Isn't it true of most riddles that you need outside knowledge?

start tuesday 9a just east of the day time crossover longitude. 9a wednesday is an inch from you to the west. Fly north, just slightly northwest for 4 hrs. You'll cross over into wednesday, at a very small angle. Land at 1p wednesday, a mere inch west of 1p tuesday. Wait an hour, then fly toward 6 pm (135 degrees from first trajectory). You are flying south, but fly very slightly east as well, and you'll crossover into Tuesday again. With the rotation of the earth, iyou'll land on a spot that was 5 hours east of your starting point. provided distance covered is the same. 6p wednesday would be a mere inch west of your landing spot.

I can't figure anything out for due north, due south. I'm not sure it's possible. You'd have to cross that longtitude and the only way is by flying slightly laterally.

I can't find any rules here. I didn't really read the TOS. I'm flawed. Am I ruining it by posting what I believe to be answers? If so I'd appreciate if someone slapped me on the hand.