BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

burning paper

Question

What you're "doing to the paper" is putting it at a great distance from the match.

No, you're raising the match higher, that isn't doing something to the paper.

Lighting the match itself is already seeing flames

Exactly. So something must be done to the paper that causes more flames to be seen.

"What can you do paper so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames and not burn the paper?"

If you drop a match but the flame goes out before it hits the paper, then dropping a match on it didn't cause flames. You are ignoring "so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames".

the paper does not necessarily have to be near the flames, the match has to be dropped on the paper. As long as you have eyes, lighting the match is satisfying the condition of seeing flames.

But the riddle wants there to be flames seen because of the match hitting the paper. Martini's answer works- your doesn't.

I hate this forum, everyone always has something to say to refute people's answers/opinions, even if they're valid.

Ahh, don't be a hater. Refuting others answers is part of the game. Oh, and yours wasn't valid for the reasons shown. :lol:

No, you're raising the match higher, that isn't doing something to the paper.

How about I take the paper up with me, and throw it on the ground, before i throw the match on it?

Exactly. So something must be done to the paper that causes more flames to be seen.

Nowhere in the puzzle does it say that more flames must be seen once the match hits the paper.

"What can you do paper so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames and not burn the paper?"

If you drop a match but the flame goes out before it hits the paper, then dropping a match on it didn't cause flames. You are ignoring "so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames".

That still doesn't mean the flames have to be touching the paper. If you want to get technical, there is no correct answer, because the flames will never be touching the paper itself, just whatever you put on the paper. (i.e. Lamination, alcohol, alum..)

But the riddle wants there to be flames seen because of the match hitting the paper. Martini's answer works- your doesn't.

No it doesn't, you want it, so that you're not wrong

How about I take the paper up with me, and throw it on the ground, before i throw the match on it?

It doesn't matter how the paper got on the floor.

Nowhere in the puzzle does it say that more flames must be seen once the match hits the paper.

Something must be done to the paper do that if you drop a match on it flames must be seen. If the match goes out on the way down, it did not cause flames to be seen. I can't make it any simpler for you.

That still doesn't mean the flames have to be touching the paper. If you want to get technical, there is no correct answer, because the flames will never be touching the paper itself, just whatever you put on the paper. (i.e. Lamination, alcohol, alum..)

A match on a wet paper is touching the paper.

What can you do paper so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames and not burn the paper?

Simply write the word FLAMES on a piece of paper with matches however leave it 1 match short of the completed word, then when you drop the last match into the appropriate space to complete the last letter you will see FLAMES

QED ladies and gentlemen!!!

wrap it tightly around your wrist- works with a hundred dollar bill- seen people say- if you can burn this while it is around your wrist you can have it- it actually transfers the temp to your arm-

I saw this years ago on Mr. Wizard. Although, he used a handkerchief. My son absolutely loved this show and as soon as this one aired, we had to go outside and recreate Mr. Wizard's experiment. Thanks for bringing this memory back to mind.

Now this one is quite cool my high school chem teacher demonstrated this by covering the money in ethanol although he mixed in some Ka first very nice. although not as cool as the methonal trick wtching an army of plastic soldiers slowly melting with no fire at all.

What can you do paper so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames and not burn the paper?

Pour lighter fluid on your eyebrows, light them with a match, blow out the match and drop it on the paper.

I read all of everyone's posts and think I've thought of something new that makes since to me...

What if the paper was sand paper? You know- like what's on the side of the matchbox. Maybe you could drop the match in a way that it would ignite as it strikes the paper. That way, the match falls on the "paper," which causes you to see flames, and the paper won't burn.

Conditions met.

(I think)

...the tricky part would be dropping the match just right...

I don't know if anyone's answered yet...

This reminds me of an old trick where you (and don't try this at home) hold a note (money) against the back of someone's hand, and tell them that if they can burn through it, they can have it. The trick is, there is no oxygen between the note and the skin, so while it heats up, the only thing that burns is the gas from the lighter, or the match. So based on this princible, putting the paper flat on the ground might work?

Dammit, just read someone else posted the same thing. And got the real answer.

Edited by soop

Write the word "Flames" on the paper. Tape 2 sticks to the paper such that they make an X going across the middle of the page. Place one stick on bearings. Position the paper so that the word Flames is face down. Drop the match on one side of the paper, and it will cause the paper to rotate, revealing the flames.

you guys are making this way too hard. the question asks what you do to the paper so that when you drop a match on it, you see flames but the paper doesnt burn? The question has nothing about the match being lit, nor anything about a real fire, so to do something to the paper would be to draw flames or print a picture of flames and drop the match on it. Now you have a match on the peice of paper, you see flames, and the paper remains unburned. Work smart, not hard people.

Pour lighter fluid on your eyebrows, light them with a match, blow out the match and drop it on the paper.

Well, yours made me laugh the hardest anyway. You're gonna make a fun science teacher. tongue.gif

place the paper on a sensitive weight scale, then when you drop the match it will recognize a difference in weight, this signal will be fed through a microcontroller to activate a blow torch just above the paper (such that you see fire, but it doesn't burn the paper).