BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Temp

Question

The boiling point of olive oil is higher than the melting point of tin. If Italian skillets are made of tinned copper, how can they be used to fry food in olive oil?

2 answers to this question

This is probably a dumb questions, so please forgive me. However, does the oil need to be boiling in order to fry something. It seems to me that the couple times I fried something, the oil was very hot, but did not bubble (implying a boiling point) until I dropped something else into it. At that point, it was the water on the item I put in which boiled and not the oil itself.

Regardless, is the question suppose to be how you can boil oil in a tinned copper pan? If so, I would guess the answer is somewhere in thermal dynamic which I can not claim to understand.

Frying food in a oil does not involve bringing the oil to its boiling point. Even if the pan could manage that heat, cooking at a temp that high would ruin the flavor of the oil and therefore the food. Even when deep frying oil, the oil itself is not brought to its boiling point- it's the water in the food that is boiling. Deep frying is usually done no hotter than 375 deg. F. The boiling point of olive oil is about 570 F and that is only about 30 deg. short of its flash point.