BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

You are a hovercraft racer, driving on a strip of water. Your opponent starts at the opposite end of the strip. His starting line is your finish line, and vice versa.

Vroom, vroom! You both start up your hover-engines, feeling the throttle growling with intense power. Then the coordinator drops a flag and you both race toward each other like lightning over the water... your fans torquing up the water underneath you as you go. You have no intention of stopping.

Then, when it becomes clear that the other person has no intention of stopping either, both players have a choice...

Keep going? Or submerge? (you PM me your choice)

If both keep going, the hovercrafts crash in the middle with a jarring stop, no doubt damaging the vehicles and their bodies. Both players involved in the crash get -1 points.

If one player keeps going and the other submerges, the player that kept going zooms over the submerged player to the finish line, while the submerged player (even if he ascends right after that) has wasted too much time and loses the race. The winner gets +2 points, the loser gets nothing.

If both players submerge, they see that happen and will both try to ascend as quickly as possible to get the advantage. It is a random 50/50 chance, and whoever gets to the surface quicker zips to the finish line for only 1 point (as they didn't win by enough distance) with the loser getting nothing.

Everyone starts with 8 points. You will play 4 rounds against the same person before switching to a new opponent. If someone hits 0 points, they're out.

There are two ways to win: (1) be the last hovercraft standing, or the more likely option (2) be the first to get to 20 points

Start joining, people :P I'm looking for ~5 people to conduct the experiment with, though I might accept more ;D

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

how about:

both submerge: sponsors happy that the vehicles aren't destroyed, +2 each

both keep going: crash for -1 each

one keeps going, other submerges: keep going gets +1 for winning, submerger gets -2 for losing

hmmm, this could work

and you can talk right before the match and opt to raise the stakes by x2 or x4 (doubling or quadrupling all numbers involved), to which the other person must agree

how about:

one keeps going, other submerges: keep going gets +1 for winning, submerger gets -2 for losing

hmmm, this could work

and you can talk right before the match and opt to raise the stakes by x2 or x4 (doubling or quadrupling all numbers involved), to which the other person must agree

I think this scoring system is worth a try. I'm not sure I like the pre-match comms - one may try to influence what direction the other chooses

and there are 5 bettors (A, B, C, D, E). They have the options of betting on person1 to win, betting on person2 to win, or betting on nobody to win (ie, both submerge or both crash)

if the bettor picked the winner: +2

if the bettor picked the loser: -2

if the bettor picked nobody to win, and nobody won: +1

if the bettor picked nobody to win, and somebody won: -2

all raised stakes (x2,x4) affect betting too

the bettors start with 4 and are out of the betting box if they get to 0 or less. They want more points, just like you. After each round, if a bettor got +2 or more, he/she will be happy with happened and bet the same way again, as well as giving 1 of their own points to the racer that made them happy. If the bettor got +1 only, he/she may rethink their options, and if they got negative, they will switch. I may tweak the betting some

New:

You---> | Submerge | Go |
-------------+----------+------------+
Submerge | +2 | +1 |
Go | -2 | -1 |
0 0
[/codebox]

Old:

[codebox]
You---> | Submerge | Go |
Submerge | +1/2 | +2 |
Go | -0 | -1 |
+1/2 +1

little visual representation

Edited by pw0nzd

Second Match:

one keeps going, other submerges: keep going gets +1 for winning, submerger gets -1 for losing

* can talk beforehand to psych out, trick, influence, etc the other person, and to agree on x2 or x4 upping of the stakes

Betting:

there are 5 bettors (A, B, C, D, E). They have the options of betting on person1 to win, betting on person2 to win, or betting on nobody to win (ie, both submerge or both crash)

if the bettor picked the winner: +2

if the bettor picked the loser: -2

if the bettor picked nobody to win, and nobody won: +1

if the bettor picked nobody to win, and somebody won: -2

all raised stakes (x2,x4) affect betting too

the bettors start with 4 and are out of the betting box if they get to 0 or less. They want more points, just like you. After each round, if a bettor got +2 or more, he/she will be happy with happened and bet the same way again, as well as giving 1 of their own points to the racer that made them happy. If the bettor got +1 only, he/she may rethink their options, and if they got negative, they will switch. I may tweak the betting some

The probem with the new rules is that now everyone will submerge because it benefits everyone more no matter what, even more than going while the other person submerges, though I guess the fact that they lose points is beneficial.

yeah that's why I wanted it to be like this originally:

but BB wanted it changed to -1

I'm changing it back to -2 :P

yeah that's why I wanted it to be like this originally:

but BB wanted it changed to -1

I'm changing it back to -2 :P

Go back and look at pw0nzd's visual. I think you need to go back to -1 or you're incentivizing the "keep going" option.

Edit: or play your way and see what happens. can always readjust for the 3rd match-up.

Edited by Cherry Lane

or we could start over, with 0 points, and do a thing closer to PD...

* both keep going: wham! Crash! Booo! The only consolidation is people that bet on that very outcome. Both of the crashees get 1 point

* both submerge: the sponsors are very happy that no hovercraft got smashed up. 3 points each

* one submerges, the other keeps going: whoever kept going wins the race for 5 points, the loser gets 0 points

okay, we have three options:

1) continue to wait for sagekid like we've been doing for ~3+ days [if we decide on this option, I'll re-PM her]

2) replace sagekid

3) end this experiment cuz Mafia IV is starting soon [maybe] anyway

If need be I can just drop out so you have even numbers again. Then it can continue until Maf IV. :)

ok..since I was sagekid's partner, I guess it would be better if I drop out...U all can then continue with your matches without affecting the points and stuff... :)

the new players are:

Frost

Brandonb

Pw0nzd

Cherry Lane

* both keep going: wham! Crash! Booo! The only consolidation is people that bet on that very outcome. Both of the crashees get 1 point

* both submerge: the sponsors are very happy that no hovercraft got smashed up. 3 points each

* one submerges, the other keeps going: whoever kept going wins the race for 5 points, the loser gets 0 points

everyone has 0 points to begin with

games will continue for an unknown, random number of iterations

it'll be Frost vs BB, pw0nzd vs CL

let the games begin :P

list:

Frost

Brandonb

Pw0nzd

Cherry Lane

Kingofpain

Nayana

everyone has 0 points to begin with

games will continue for an unknown, random number of iterations

it'll be Frost vs BB, pw0nzd vs CL, KOP vs Nayana

list with points:

Frost - 0

Brandonb - 0

Pw0nzd - 0

Cherry Lane - 0

Kingofpain - 0

Nayana - 0