BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

You are a hovercraft racer, driving on a strip of water. Your opponent starts at the opposite end of the strip. His starting line is your finish line, and vice versa.

Vroom, vroom! You both start up your hover-engines, feeling the throttle growling with intense power. Then the coordinator drops a flag and you both race toward each other like lightning over the water... your fans torquing up the water underneath you as you go. You have no intention of stopping.

Then, when it becomes clear that the other person has no intention of stopping either, both players have a choice...

Keep going? Or submerge? (you PM me your choice)

If both keep going, the hovercrafts crash in the middle with a jarring stop, no doubt damaging the vehicles and their bodies. Both players involved in the crash get -1 points.

If one player keeps going and the other submerges, the player that kept going zooms over the submerged player to the finish line, while the submerged player (even if he ascends right after that) has wasted too much time and loses the race. The winner gets +2 points, the loser gets nothing.

If both players submerge, they see that happen and will both try to ascend as quickly as possible to get the advantage. It is a random 50/50 chance, and whoever gets to the surface quicker zips to the finish line for only 1 point (as they didn't win by enough distance) with the loser getting nothing.

Everyone starts with 8 points. You will play 4 rounds against the same person before switching to a new opponent. If someone hits 0 points, they're out.

There are two ways to win: (1) be the last hovercraft standing, or the more likely option (2) be the first to get to 20 points

Start joining, people :P I'm looking for ~5 people to conduct the experiment with, though I might accept more ;D

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

CL went straight ahead while Frost submerged to safety, CL whipping past above him to a victory

the round is in parentheses

1) Frost - 7 (3)

2) Cherry Lane - 9 (3)

3) Sagekid - 8 (1)

4) Nayana - 8 (1)

5) pw0nzd - 7 (2)

6) Brandonb - 7 (2)

I need sagekid's round1 pick and pw0nzd's round2 pick

CL keeps going, as Frost expected, and the only way to combat her strategy is to force a game of chicken- Frost keeps going too! A collision ensues, and both get -1

pw0nzd and BB play the same foolish game, to get some of the lowest scores :P hehe

1) Frost - 6 (4)

2) Cherry Lane - 8 (4)

3) Sagekid - 8 (1)

4) Nayana - 8 (1)

5) pw0nzd - 6 (3)

6) Brandonb - 6 (3)

last round of the first match for Frost and CL, second-to-last for pw0nzd and BB

I hope you guys are learning: keep-going is the best logical strategy with better outcomes. Yet when both people do this, it gives a constant stream of -1s... hmmm... :D

the game of chicken between Frost and CL culminates in... a crash! -1 to both! tsk tsk :P

1) Frost - 5

2) Cherry Lane - 7

3) Sagekid - 8 (1)

4) Nayana - 8 (1)

5) pw0nzd - 6 (3)

6) Brandonb - 6 (3)

Frost and CL's scores are final for Match 1 ;D when everyone finishes their 4th rounds we will shuffle the opponents and start the second match

in the final round between pw0nzd and BB, pw0nzd flies dead ahead, shooting his 'lazors', and BB's smoking wreck of a hovercraft slams into Pw0nzd's, and they go spinning out, bouncing off the walls like rubber. Burnt metal is everywhere. They both climb out shakily, their sponsors glaring. -1 points!

1) Frost - 5

2) Cherry Lane - 7

3) Sagekid - 8 (1)

4) Nayana - 8 (1)

5) pw0nzd - 5

6) Brandonb - 7

same final scores as Frost and CL lol

Match 2 will complicate it a bit with stakes (x2, x4) and bets laid by the audience (me, mostly)

yeah, exactly ;D

here are some templates I have thought of for next match:

both submerge: tie for +0 each

both keep going: crash for -1 each

one keeps going, other submerges: whoever kept going gets +1 for winning, submerger gets -2 for displeasing people that bet on him

both submerge: sponsors happy that the vehicles aren't destroyed, +1 each

both keep going: crash for -1 each

one keeps going, other submerges: keep going gets +1 for winner, submerger gets -1 for losing

then there's the original one from the first match, complicated with raised stakes and betting. Which do you guys think is best?