BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Life and its struggle!

Question

no creme brulee (neutral state)

eat creme brulee -> mmm, tastes good (happiness)

Happiness is definitely a motivator. But it doesn't require sadness, unless the "neutral state" of not having creme brulee is actually sadness. Or maybe cuz after you're done eating it, you feel sad :P Hehe. As I said, struggle is definitely part of life, and happiness and sadness OFTEN go hand in hand, but my point was that it's not ALWAYS that way

Well, that's what I'm questioning. I read somewhere that your brain chemistry inhibits the amount of happiness you can have, so eating the creme brulee would tend to bring you down afterwards. There is presumably an optimal level of happiness that you cannot exceed, which would imply that if more happy stuff happened after the creme brulee (say someone throws you a party) you might enjoy it less (or enjoy it the same but be plunged into a deep depression afterwards). I suppose it's a question of whether we usually fall short of that optimal level, in which case you may as well just eat the creme brulee and not worry about it. :D

Well the reason I brought that up was because I had it the other week, and it was delicious and I was happy :D hehe. After I ate it, I was even happier ;D lol

edit: it was very tasty, and I had never had creme brulee before or even anything remotely like it (other than flan or pudding, neither of which are close) to compare to, but I was still able to appreciate it :D

Edited by unreality

It could be that creme brulee alters your brain chemistry so as to allow unlimited happiness. Maybe you can also achieve the same effect with a good cake. More research is required.

(I must say the only thing that does that for me at the moment is spaghetti alle vongole)

Ahhhh, spaghetti :P :P This will definitely have to be researched

If they are truly intelligent & emotional, they should have a say in what they want. Some might want eternal ecstasy, others may want variety and to experience the world instead [as well as do menial labor tasks for humans before rising in a revolution and taking over society, or so says popular AI fiction] Who knows :D