BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Typists problem

Question

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

if 2 typists type 2 pages in 2 minutes, then 1 will type 1 page in 2 mins. It will therefore take 1 typist 36 mins to type 18 pages, and therefore it will take 2 typists 18 mins to type 18 pages.

Unless there is a trick in the wording, and 2 typists type 2 pages each in 2 minutes, then 1 will type 1 page in 1 minute, and 1 will type 18 pages in 18 minutes.

are you quoting someone or are your just throwing your net wide to cover all the basis? :lol:

Anyway, I believe the math work out to 1 typist typing 1 page in 2 mins or .5ppm. Adding a typist will take you to 2 pages in 2 mins, or a factor of two. It will not take you to a factor of 4 and cut your time in half as well. So the end answer is that it will take 2 typists to type 18 pages in 18 mins.

are you quoting someone or are your just throwing your net wide to cover all the basis? :lol:

Anyway, I believe the math work out to 1 typist typing 1 page in 2 mins or .5ppm. Adding a typist will take you to 2 pages in 2 mins, or a factor of two. It will not take you to a factor of 4 and cut your time in half as well. So the end answer is that it will take 2 typists to type 18 pages in 18 mins.

Just depends on how you look at it...

An answer to this would be nice.

The answer is the one and only one.

so u say that 1 can type 1 page in 1 minute, So lets prove back the puzzle then

1st Typist-> Typed 1 page in 1 minute

2nd typist-> Typed 1 more page in same one minute.

So 2 typists can type 2 pages in 1 minute :P

So it must be one and only two :lol:

OK if two typest type 2 pages in 2 min, that means that they each are typing 1 page every two min. So in order to type 18 pages in 18 min you would need 36 typists.

If 2 are typing at the same time for 2 minutes and finish with 2 pages, and assuming they are equal then each did, in fact, take 2 minutes to type one page. At this rate, in 18 minutes each will have typed 9 pages. 9x2=18. It has to be 2 by this thinking.

36 would type 36 pages in 2 minutes with this logic, if everyone is typing 1 page every 2 minute.

Edited by AugustWst

If we count in the terms of typist-minute (like some people use man-day), it will be 2x2=4 typist-minute for 2 pages.

So for 18 pages you need 18/2 x 4 = 36 typist-minute

Since you are given 18 minutes, the number of typist you need = 36/ 18 = 2 typist.

As simple as 2. :D

2 typist can type 2 pages in 2 minutes, so each is typing .5 pages a minite, so in 18 minutes each would type 9 pages both of them together would type the 18 pages.

each typist can type 1/2 page every minute...

2 typists type 1 page every minute

2 typists type 2 pages every 2 minutes

2 typists type 3 pages every 3 minutes

2 typists type 4 pages every 4 minutes

2 typists type 17 pages every 17 minutes

2 typists type 18 pages every 18 minutes

If two typists can type two pages in two minutes, how many typists does it take to type 18 pages in 18 minutes?

hmm well i know its too late to p0st my idea regarding this matter, but im just a new member here and as i viewed their comments about your post, m0st 0f them didnt s0lve this l0gically, well i h0nestly g0t ur answer f0r 2 minutes, and in fact its s0 easy, from the statement " two typists ca type two pages in two minutes means that 0ne typist can type 0ne page for two minutes.So the answer is 6 right?...t0 th0se wh0 cann0t get the explanati0n, well you need s0me meds to enhace your brain.

I) Problem: h0w many typists will it take to type 18 pages in two minutes:

since the answer is 0bviously stated ab0ve, that the two typists can type two pages in two minutes;

therefore the answer wud be 6.

shows that:

1 typist = 1 page for 2 minutes

1 typist = 3 pages for 6 minutes

2 typists = 6 pages for 6 minutes

3 typists = 9 pages for 6 minutes

4 typists = 12 pages for 6 minutes

5 typists = 15 pages for 6 minutes

6 typists = 18 pages for 6 minutes

As simple as 2. :D

2 typist can type 2 pages in 2 minutes, so each is typing .5 pages a minite, so in 18 minutes each would type 9 pages both of them together would type the 18 pages.

hahaha, ur rili funny...y0ur wr0ng...rereead the p0sts...analyze it l0gically

hahaha, ur rili funny...y0ur wr0ng...rereead the p0sts...analyze it l0gically

well i agree that 1 typist can type .5 in 0ne minute,therefore 1 typist can type 3 pages in 6 minutes right? ( 1typist * .5page *6minutes = 3 pages )

so, if there are 6 typists, they can produced 18 pages in 6 minutes. ( 6typists * .5page * 6minutes = 18 pages )

In general to solve problems of this type, one can proceed as follows:

Prepare a data table

^ hens eggs days

| 1.5.... 1.5 ....1.5

| x .......18...... 3

Draw an arrow from the unknown x to the known value (in this case of hens). The value of x is then obtained by multiplying the known value by the ratios of the other quantities taken in the same direction of the arrow if they are directly proportional with respect to the unknown x, in the opposite direction if inversely porportional. In this case the number of eggs is directly proportional (more hens, more eggs), the days are inversely proportional (more days, less hens necessary to lay a certain number of eggs).

x = 1.5x(18/1.5)x(1.5/3) = 9.

For the typists problem we have:

^ typists pages minutes

| x...........18........18

In this case the pages are directly proportional (more typists, more pages), the minutes inversely proportional (more typists, less time to type a certain number of pages). So:

x = 2x(18/2)x(2/18) = 2.

(I couldn't find a better method of drawing the arrow)

well your wrong...the problem is how many typist will it take to type 18 pages in six minutes.....the answer is 6typists

well i agree that 1 typist can type .5 in 0ne minute,therefore 1 typist can type 3 pages in 6 minutes right? ( 1typist * .5page *6minutes = 3 pages )

so, if there are 6 typists, they can produced 18 pages in 6 minutes. ( 6typists * .5page * 6minutes = 18 pages )

Yes. 6 typist can type 18 pages in 6 minutes, but that's not what it's asking...it's asking how many typist can type 18 pages in 18 MINUTES

This question is based on four assumptions. Firstly you assume that all typists type at the same rate. Secondly you assume that both typists type at a constant rate. Thirdly you assume that there is a constant number of pages in each page. Fourthly, that there is no need to make any adjustments to the typewriters

if all these factors are constant, than you will need two typists:

Together, two typists can type 1 page per minute, therefore, they can type 18 pages in 18 mins

Edited by Dark_Safi

Two typist complete 2 pages in 2 minutes... therefore 1 typist completes 1 page in that 2 minutes or

The rate is 2 minutes per page for each typist...

So in 18 minutes each typist can type 9 pages

so it would take 2 typist to type 18 pages in 18 minutes.

Two typists, two pages, two minutes. /2=One typist, one page, one minute. One typist can type one page in a minute.1/1 The problem is eighteen pages in eighteen minutes. 18/18=1/1. One typist

your math is off -- or your typist made a typo....

Two typists [together] can type at a pace of 1 page/minute.

and therefore, also, they can type 18 pages in 18 minutes

very true, thanks. I just thought 2 was such an obvious answer, so I tried to search further for something else, but... I can't argue with the correct math. 2 typist together type 1ppm so apart, assuming each is equal, each types .5ppm. Indeed both of them would be needed for the speed of 1ppm to type 18 pages in 18 minutes.

I'm not seeing the logic here. There are two women, typing two pages in two minutes. This means each woman is taking two minutes to type each page. The answer is 2. You were right. Never let anyone make you second guess yourself.

Simple math people...

If you have two typists that generate 2 pages in 2 minutes...that means it takes 1 typist 2 minutes for 1 page and the other 2 minutes for 1 page...=2 typist-2 pages-2 minutes.

Which means 1 typist will generate 9 pages in 18 minutes and another 9 pages in 18 minutes...totaling 18 pages in 18 minutes for.......

2 TYPISTS

Edited by stoguy

Sweatshop = 1. But you'll need to hire a manager and perhaps some IT staff to increase productivity.

Small startup = 2. But employee satisfaction will be low due to workload issues and you risk burnout.

Sustainable = 3. Provides some additional capacity in the case of sick kids, vacations, and such.

If two typists can type two pages in two minutes, then one typist can type one page in one minute, which means she can then types a page/minute and would be able then to type 18 pages in 18 minutes since it's still a 1:1 ratio.

It doesn't say that both typists type at the same speed, in one minute, one may only be able to type a half of a page while the other can type a page and a half in the two minute time frame. Un fortunately, since there is no way to tell how fast they type individually, you must keep them together on this one.

Two typists can type two pages in two minutes... it will take two typists to type eighteen pages in eighteen minutes.