BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

just a riddle

Question

25 answers to this question

Can somebody please explain? Cuz this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Why can't it be smoke? :huh:

when an umbrella is "down" it means it is folded up, hence it can fit up a chimney

when an umbrella is "up" it means it is open and ready for use, hence it is too wide to fit down a normal sized chimney

You can force an umbrella to go down a chimney up.. it will just be more "UP" when you get down.

I'd say a helium balloon.. it will go up the chimney but not come back down while the balloon is "up".

I agree.. it should be something else..

It wouldn't follow the riddle if it wasn't open 'up' when it went down.

-------

Also, the helium balloon would only go up when up, and down when down, wouldn't it?

You can force an umbrella to go down a chimney up.. it will just be more "UP" when you get down.

I'd say a helium balloon.. it will go up the chimney but not come back down while the balloon is "up".

I would have to disagree with the helium balloon because there is a chance that when the balloon reaches a certain altitude that it can pop from the extreme pressure and the shreds left can somehow go down the same chimney even though the odds are incredibly small like 1 in 100,000,000,000. In my opinion that should not be the answer.

But i do agree with your first statement.

Some more rubbish:

What about a weighted, pivoted object that is always pointed 'down'. Turn it over and it swivels back the 'down' position. That way it wouldn't go either way in the chimney 'up'.

Edit: AND it electricutes you if you try to force it to stay in the 'up' position. Haha

Edited by ljb