BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

Hey everyone :D I'm Unreality

I was one of the "original" people on BrainDen before its massive awesome boom, and I've seen it grow to this pwnage forum it is today ;D That's why I want everyone to introduce themselves... I was surprised that we don't have such a topic/forum/area/whatever :P

there's so many members, this'll be a good way to meet all of you

• Answers 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi, y'all My name is Slick and I am curious. When was the first day BrainDen began. DOB wise? I enjoy the company here but, why don't we have like a major social black-tie event. Then we can meet in person? Google will pay the plane fare right?

Edited by akaslickster

Wait, how did BrainDen grow to so many people? Was it advertising?

no

When was the first day BrainDen began.

a few milestones (a bit of approximation):

1. February, 2003 - Slovak version was created (static HTML) - old domain hlavolamy.szm.sk (free hosting, simple collection of brain teasers, illusions, paradoxes)

2. February, 2004 - English version was created (static HTML) - simple translation of all content (except a few Slovak IQ tests)

3. March, 2007 - domain BrainDen.com purchased, forum created (phpBB) - new topics created for each solution of brain teasers already collected (new users joining, posting puzzles)

4. January, 2008 - new forum (paid bulletin board system - IPB) purchased - transfer issues (spoilers and smileys manually adjusted for each and every post)

there is a lot (really a lot) I could write about ... beginning with frames, moving gifs and java applet menu (terrible) ... having 30 daily visitors ... learning HTML, CSS and then SEO, usability, accessibility ... creating google gadgets (a huge step - a chapter of its own) ... setting standards for the forum ... having great moderators doing magnificent job (Martini and bonanova) ... connecting intelligent people from all around the world ... and much more

I'd image about 90% of Braindenners came thru Google gadgets like me. Correct?

What I'd like to know is, how did the rest get here?

google gadgets brought about 73% of visitors yesterday ... the rest is other referrals (sites that linked my web), search engines (eg. search for "brain teasers" or "logic puzzles" or "scary optical illusions") and direct traffic (eg. bookmarks)

traffic sources (1 day data) as per google analytics

traffic.bmp

I enjoy the company here but, why don't we have like a major social black-tie event. Then we can meet in person? Google will pay the plane fare right?

I thought of that too. :D That would be cool, though really hard to organize, and would probably never happen.

And how exactly are we supposed to introduce ourselves in this topic?

It would be possible to organize functions if we broke it down into regions. I'm in Myrtle Beach so I would go to the southeastern conference or something like that.

Hey Unreality, I've been playing video games since 1989 and have even trained my wife of 7 years to beat my butt in shooting games and fighting games. I currently have to pay most of my attentions to my job. Outside of work though I like to fish, practice martial arts (Goju Ryu), and now recently chat it up with some other intelligent peoples. :).

PS If anyone owns a PS3 and plays online my name is DNAE

you know, like... "hi, I'm Frost. I'm cool and I like penguins. I also enjoy vulcaneering and watching eclipses and playing Mafia. bla bla bla, etc" lol

I do like penguins, but I like video games better than the other stuff you mentioned. :lol: I actually spend a lot of time playing video games, and playing on the computer (and programming games). I've actually spent a lot of time just on this site, I get on literally every day. Uhhhhhhhhhh... I don't actually do much else, except maybe eat and sleep, and read. And play tennis. I've been kind of bored lately what with it being summer and all. That's about it.

Oh and if anyone has Brawl, we should exchange codes so we can play online. :D

Edited by Frost

Okay, my turn. I'm puzzlegirl. Apart from Google, BrainDen and Facebook are the only other sites I visit regularly. I am a stay-at-home mommy now, but in a previous life I was an art student, a health care administrator and an accountant (quite a spectrum, I know.) Besides changing diapers and driving my minivan hither and yon, I spend most of my time "goofing" on the computer, reading and sipping away my kids' college funds at Starbucks. My latest endeavors are writing and illustrating a childrens books and writing my memoires. :)

Okay, my turn. I'm puzzlegirl. Apart from Google, BrainDen and Facebook are the only other sites I visit regularly. I am a stay-at-home mommy now, but in a previous life I was an art student, a health care administrator and an accountant (quite a spectrum, I know.) Besides changing diapers and driving my minivan hither and yon, I spend most of my time "goofing" on the computer, reading and sipping away my kids' college funds at Starbucks. My latest endeavors are writing and illustrating a childrens books and writing my memoires. :)

If these kids don't go to college, they will be just like me. Funds were not around for me then and money is tight now.

Hi I'm kingofpain... as you can see, I was one of Brainden's OLD members on the forum. I kinda lost track of Brainden in my last 2 sems finishing my Bachelors in Dec (doing 8 courses in my last sem :D) and then starting a Masters in Jan (both in Mech Engg).

I like to work with computers and I find the intersection of computer science and engineering appealing (and I think it's the next best thing). I'm also far left wing and I pounced on the opportunity to work in sustainability so my research topic revolves around how to make CAD software and other engineering software more environmentally aware and to integrate sustainable concepts into CAD software. If I end up being a financially successful software architect/consultant at a big CAD firm, I might just be the first cross of a hippie and a yuppie !! Yippie!!

I love cricket, soccer and F1 and feel left out in typical sporting conversations in the US. I am in Atlanta,GA and I go to Ga Tech.

I also sing a LOT and some people like it a lot and others don't mind it, so I plan to keep singing until I am a nuisance at which point I'll plateau... I love classic rock and my favourite band is The Police followed by Led Zeppelin... I also listen to Soundgarden,AIC and Pearl Jam outside of classic rock.

Here's a link to my userpage on Youtube... There are a couple of cool engg projects and a couple songs... As far as the songs go, tell me if you likey although I must warn you the quality is piss poor coz I used a computer mic :) If you don't like it, you can tell me if you think I am a public hazard, but otherwise, criticize positively :))

http://www.youtube.com/user/viggyjiggy

Lastly, I am fairly philosophical about most things in life. I consider myself an atheist and am contemptuous of overly (and overtly) religious people. I am simultaneously jealous of people who are highly spiritual since their descriptions of their lives makes it seem a lot fuller and more wholesome. I hope one day I have the experience of believing fully in a personal God or supernatural being since I think it adds a lot to your life. I am not 'trying' to do that since I think TRYING to be spiritual is delusional. For those confused by the seemingly contradictory statements above I think religious is going to place of worship regularly and obeying rules and rituals of organized religion while spirituality is faith and belief in something not proven without any desire to demand proof since you believe. Although spirituality seems like circular logic to me and some others, enough people manage to pull it off and they seem to live less existentially challenging lives.

Edited by kingofpain

Hey all, just joined a few days ago but hope to get to know everyone here.

I live in Alaska, (not in an igloo) and enjoy programming in Java, C# and BASIC in my free time. I also play tennis, race sailboats and travel a lot.

Oh, and congrats unreality B))

Hey all! IMLRG here (as if you couldn't tell already....)

My real name is Scott, which I prefer much better than IMLRG. I'm 18 years old, 6 foot 5 (hence my username,) and a senior in high school. I go to a vocational school during the school year, as well, and I'm taking a program called Biotechnology there. I'm into gaming, I'm a tenor/baritone/bass in my high school choir (music is one of my true passions,) and I enjoy martial arts, although I don't know any myself. I also have Tourette's Syndrome (any questions about that will be gladly answered if you leave a comment on my profile.) I've only been a member for about 5 days now (I'm another gadget joinee,) but I'm already loving being a member here! Nice to meet everyone!

Edited by IMLRG

Hi, y'all My name is Slick and I am curious. When was the first day BrainDen began. DOB wise? I enjoy the company here but, why don't we have like a major social black-tie event. Then we can meet in person? Google will pay the plane fare right?

icant for several reasons

1my parents dont know i get on here

2i doubt my parents would let me fly on a plane alone to meet my internet budies

3i only have ont tie and its blue!