BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Will you believe me if I say that the square 'A' and square 'B' are of the same color? :o

You can easily verify this using a image editor (use the 'color picker' tool OR crop a portion of 2 squares and compare).

post-6305-1214053547_thumbpng

they definantly not if u look it is ovious unless that square is discolored that the pattern would make A a black square and B a white square

I personally advise you open the image in an editor (MS Paint will work just fine) and see for yourself.

Even I didn't believed it at first. Thats why its my favorite.

Lesson to learn:

Don't trust your eyes B)) , always.

Unnnbelievable! I've made everyone look at it home. They all find it hard to believe until I show them the different swatches. Good find. :o

Similar situation at my home too.

It's easy to see that they are the same color if you look at them peripherally while looking at the left-most edge of the grid. It works instantly for me at least, idk if it's the same for everyone.

With little concentration, you can see them as of having the same color. This especially works if you decrease the size of the image. For instance, copy the image to a folder and set its 'view' to 'thumbnails' and see the small image.

I tried it. They are exactly the same color. ~~WEIRD~~

post-6534-1214270743_thumbjpg

Nice work :D .

Now, if you move the cropped image of 'B' from bottom to top through square B, you can B)) 'see' B)) it changing its color.

Wow. I just tried that myself. Still dont believe it though.

Can anyone offer an explaination as to why one appears brighter than the other?

I know the shadow has something to do with it...

I got that image from wikipedia. Check it out.

convinced now?
Nope - they are different tones on the left to the one on the right - try my method place two holes in a liece of paper then look at one then the other After look at booth at the same time - there appears to be a graduating tone in the insert as well as the slight difference from the one on the left.

Maybe I need my eyes tested!

Nope - they are different tones on the left to the one on the right - try my method place two holes in a liece of paper then look at one then the other After look at booth at the same time - there appears to be a graduating tone in the insert as well as the slight difference from the one on the left.

Maybe I need my eyes tested!

I think you are right B)) . Especially on the last statement :D

Wow. I just tried that myself. Still dont believe it though.

Can anyone offer an explaination as to why one appears brighter than the other?

I know the shadow has something to do with it...

This works the same way that all optical illusions work. Our brains are conditioned to interpret light coming into our eyes (what we see) based on precedent. You have seen checkered spaces and seen shadows move accross them, and have seen the white squares turn dark in the shadow. So your brain has learned to "ignore," or account for, shadows when interpretting color. So your brain is telling you that A is darker than square B based on the color patterns you would expect on a checkerboard. This is also reinforced by the contrast created by the colors of a checker board. Basic contrast is much easier for our brains to interpret than percentages of particular shade or hue...unless you're on queer eye for the straight guy. ;)

This works the same way that all optical illusions work. Our brains are conditioned to interpret light coming into our eyes (what we see) based on precedent. You have seen checkered spaces and seen shadows move accross them, and have seen the white squares turn dark in the shadow. So your brain has learned to "ignore," or account for, shadows when interpretting color. So your brain is telling you that A is darker than square B based on the color patterns you would expect on a checkerboard. This is also reinforced by the contrast created by the colors of a checker board. Basic contrast is much easier for our brains to interpret than percentages of particular shade or hue...unless you're on queer eye for the straight guy. ;)

Thanx. that makes alot of sense. i b understanding now :)