BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Coins Puzzle

Question

A fairly easy one compared to whats here:

You have an amount of coins in your left pocket and an amount of coins in your right pocket. If you took one out of your right pocket and put it into your left pocket the amount in the right would be half of the left. If however you took one from the left pocket and put it in the right pocket both pockets would have equal amounts of coins. How many is in each pocket?

Just note that the coins aren't actually moved, its just what the totals would be if they were moved. Second is its the amount of coins, not the value.

7 and 5

Hope you dont mind me posting this

5 answers to this question

A fairly easy one compared to whats here: You have an amount of coins in your left pocket and an amount of coins in your right pocket. If you took one out of your right pocket and put it into your left pocket the amount in the right would be half of the left. If however you took one from the left pocket and put it in the right pocket both pockets would have equal amounts of coins. How many is in each pocket? Just note that the coins aren't actually moved, its just what the totals would be if they were moved. Second is its the amount of coins, not the value.
7 and 5
Hope you dont mind me posting this
There could be 5 & 4 number of coins also.

I don't think that 4 & 5 coins can fit in the puzzle...

It is mentioned that if you take one from the left pocket and put it in the right pocket both pockets would have equal amounts of coins.

Having 4 & 5 coins would not be equal, given the conditions...

.......I think...

I don't think that 4 & 5 coins can fit in the puzzle...

It is mentioned that if you take one from the left pocket and put it in the right pocket both pockets would have equal amounts of coins.

Having 4 & 5 coins would not be equal, given the conditions...

.......I think...

you are right. I missed this condition. Thank you.

It can be solved like this:

Say there are x coins in right pocket, and y coins in left pocket. Then we get two equations given the conditions,

[1] x-1 = 1/2(y+1)

[2] x+1 = y-1

Solving the both equations we get x = 5, and y = 7.

Edited by bhramarraj