BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

8 random quickies

Question

1.what gets hotter as it gets colder?

2.what is white when it's dirty turns black as you clean it?

3.what gets wetter as it dries?

4.how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?(kind of random)

5.what gets bigger and never smaller?

6.how much money do you need to be rich?

7.what time is it when your clock is only right once a day?

8.what shape that can, be made from four matches, face any direction , be flipped any way and will stay right side up?

feel free to add more questions in your comments if you like.

• Answers 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"What gets hotter as it gets cooler"

this is badly worded because it implys that the same object that's getting colder is also getting hotter at the same time, which I believe is impossible, no?

this is badly worded because it implys that the same object that's getting colder is also getting hotter at the same time, which I believe is impossible, no?

That would be the point of the riddle.

It would be to obvious to say "what gets hotter as it cools the air?"

Having just spent half a day fixing my air conditioner I can attest that tha A/C itself does get hotter as it gets colder. The front of the A/C is nice and chilly now but the condensor area of the A/C is very hot. Before I turned it on both areas were the same temp. This could work with the refridgerator also: inside gets colder back of fridge gets hotter.

4.how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?(kind of random)

8.what shape that can, be made from four matches, face any direction , be flipped any way and will stay right side up?

2. Blackboard

4. one [one "wood" in "woodchuck"]

5. Age

7. stopped clock

Colour:

As colour gets warmer (towards red) the colour templerature in Kelvin gets cooler.

Conversely, as colour gets cooler (toward blue) the colour temperature in Kelvin gets warmer.

1:AC

2:Blackboard

3:Towel

4:Random=yes

5: the number Pi

6:

7:There is no clock that I am familiar with that can display the correct time only Once a day. I suppose it's time to restart the Universe.

8:Tetrahedron

1:AC

2:Blackboard

3:Towel

4:Random=yes

5: the number Pi

6:

7:There is no clock that I am familiar with that can display the correct time only Once a day. I suppose it's time to restart the Universe.

8:Tetrahedron

I love your answer to 5.

However there are infinite answers to this question:

5. The number of dead people during the course of human history.

5. The number of posts on this forum

5. The number of patents or inventions

5. Actually, any number of anthing!!

5.My IQ level :P (At least I hope)

And my favorite:

5. The number of answers to this question!!

The best answer that I could come up with for #1 is a radiator or something of that nature. As it gets colder, ("it" referring to the ambient temperature of whatever geographical location you happen to be in) our radiator gets hotter.

The number of digits in Pi is a great answer for #5 although Pi itself is not, as it has a fixed value.

Another good answer for #5 would be the size of the universe. It's ever-expanding, but will eventually contract which doesn't concern us because we probably won't be around for it.

2. * ***** **** **** (??? lol sorry if thats offensive, its all i can think of) oh wait, maybe one of those magic board things where you shake it to make it black again?

Yes, it is - no lol happening here.

1. A furnace.
  2. A blackboard.
  3. A towel.
  4. As much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
  5. My age, my taxes and the chances that Hollywood will ruin yet another childhood memory by turning an old 70's TV series into a crappy movie.
  6. None - you only need money to be rich if you are silly enough to think that money makes you rich.
  7. Time to fix your clock.
  8. I do not know the name of the shape, but if you have each match extend from each apex of a tetrahedron toward a central point and crazy-glue them together at the central point you will have the shape - I've seen kid's jacks shaped like this, and caltrops as well.

Any clock that runs slow or fast will display the correct time only once a day. That is why it is better to have a clock that doesn't work at all: a broken clock will display the correct time twice a day - making it a much more valuable timepiece than a slow clock.

I wasn't allowed to edit my previous post, so I thought I'd just repost with the editing in it.

[edit]Any clock that runs slow or fast will A slow or fast clock can display the correct time only once a day [edit](and occasionally, twice a day) - work it out for clock that looses 30 minutes per hour and you should see it. That is why it is better to have a clock that doesn't work at all: a broken clock will always display the correct time twice a day - making it a much more valuable timepiece than a slow clock.

1.what gets hotter as it gets colder? A FURNACE

2.what is white when it's dirty turns black as you clean it? BLACK/CHALK BOARD

3.what gets wetter as it dries? TOWEL

4.how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?(kind of random) A WOOD CHUCK WOULD CHUCK AS MUCH WOOD AS A WOOD CHUCK COULD CHUCK IF A WOOD CHUCK COULD CHUCK WOOD

5.what gets bigger and never smaller? YOUR AGE

6.how much money do you need to be rich? AS MUCH MONEY AS IT TAKES TO FILE A MOTION WITH THE COURT REQUESTING THAT YOUR NAME BE CHANGED.

7.what time is it when your clock is only right once a day? A STOPPED DIGITAL CLOCK THAT NOT ONLY DISPLAYS THE TIME, BUT AM OR PM AS WELL

8.what shape that can, be made from four matches, face any direction , be flipped any way and will stay right side up? TETRAHEDRON

8.what shape that can, be made from four matches, face any direction , be flipped any way and will stay right side up? TETRAHEDRON

Well, actually, you can't make a tetrahedron from only four matches (unless you break them). A tetrahedron has 6 edges and you only have 4 matches. But I think what you are describing is what I had come up with - the shape of a caltrop - align the 4 matches with the lines from the centre of a tetrahedron to to each of the verticies! I don't know what the shape is called though.

1. yes, hotter refers temperature

2. doesn't matter

4. hmmm indeed

5. age

6. yes

7. yes

7. If a hands clock is stopped it will be right twice a day. It's a 12 hours clock.

In the other hand, most 24 hours clock are digital so they won't show the hour.

1. assuming "hotter" means temperature-wise, my answer is: lack of heat. Think about it. If lack of heat is getting colder, it's temperature is getting hotter... right? i dunno. lol

2. a black man's c*ck (??? lol sorry if thats offensive, its all i can think of) oh wait, maybe one of those magic board things where you shake it to make it black again?

3. a towel, duh

4. Chuck Norris

5. zillions of answers for this... mine: the number of people dead (assuming some dude like Jesus or something doesn't come along and start resurrecting ppl)

6. how much do you need to be poor?

7. whatever time ur clock says

8. the first three make a three-sided equilateral pyramid with no bottom or anything, just all three pointing up and meeting each other at the 'peak' of the pyramid. The fourth stick up from this at the same angles as the other ones. No matter how you throw it, it will land on 3 'pyramid feet' with one match sticking straight up. Like a caltrop.

Some modifications:

2: A Blackboard

4: A Chuckwood would wood chuck as much chuck that a chuckwood chuck wood if a chuck wood could wood chuck

5: The universe (ever-expanding), # of dead people, inflation, Chuck Norris's kill count

6: None; Emotionally rich, family rich, culturaly rich...

8: A Tetrahedron ( matchsticks go from center to vertices)

1. Water. When being frozen at sea level, between the temperatures of +3.98°c and 0°c, something magical happens... At +3.98°c, water is at it's most dense (natrually), and so freezes into a solid. Between +3.98°c and 0°c, water becomes less dense, hence thawing and appearing "warmer", whilst actually getting colder, until at 0c, it freezes again.

Didn't any of you know this? How do you think your fish survive in winter when your pond freezes over? The top is frozen, as it is around 3.98°c, but the water underneath is between +3.98°c and 0°c.

2. Anything originally black, with white "dirt", such as chalk, dust (although that could be grey...) etc.

3. Sponge, cloth, towel, dogs, kids, etc. Anything that soaks up water really...

4. 8oz according to the starter of this thread... This is the only one I am not sure about, as I think it might be a joke, but I'm going to say "It depends on the woodchuck".

5. Expanding foam from a DIY shop! Seriously though, there are hundreds of answers - number of dead people, number of people born, directionally positive numbers in general, number of digits in pi (so far!), etc.

7. The only clock that could be right once a day is a slow or fast clock. If this is true, then it "is time to get a new clock". Unless, of course, you meant a broken clock, which would be right twice a day if it had hands, never if the hands were broken off, or if it was a broken digital clock, just change the battery, plug it in, or get a new one.

8. A Tetrahedral (not a Tetrahedron) Read the thread for a description of it...

Anyone care to challenge me on question 1?