BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

8 random quickies

Question

1.what gets hotter as it gets colder?

2.what is white when it's dirty turns black as you clean it?

3.what gets wetter as it dries?

4.how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?(kind of random)

5.what gets bigger and never smaller?

6.how much money do you need to be rich?

7.what time is it when your clock is only right once a day?

8.what shape that can, be made from four matches, face any direction , be flipped any way and will stay right side up?

feel free to add more questions in your comments if you like.

• Answers 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

well I believe the answer to number 1 is the Earth, as the northern hemisphere gets hotter the southern hemisphere gets colder, and as the southern hemisphere gets hotter the northern hemisphere gets colder

Regarding number 7 - I am not sure how universally used a military clock is, but a clock that measures in military time - such as 10:00p.m. is called 22:00 hours (twenty-two hundred hours). This type of clock would be right once a day if broken.

4.how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?(kind of random)

8.what shape that can, be made from four matches, face any direction , be flipped any way and will stay right side up?

4.the answer is 1

1. Water. When being frozen at sea level, between the temperatures of +3.98°c and 0°c, something magical happens... At +3.98°c, water is at it's most dense (natrually), and so freezes into a solid. Between +3.98°c and 0°c, water becomes less dense, hence thawing and appearing "warmer", whilst actually getting colder, until at 0c, it freezes again.

Didn't any of you know this? How do you think your fish survive in winter when your pond freezes over? The top is frozen, as it is around 3.98°c, but the water underneath is between +3.98°c and 0°c.

2. Anything originally black, with white "dirt", such as chalk, dust (although that could be grey...) etc.

3. Sponge, cloth, towel, dogs, kids, etc. Anything that soaks up water really...

4. 8oz according to the starter of this thread... This is the only one I am not sure about, as I think it might be a joke, but I'm going to say "It depends on the woodchuck".

5. Expanding foam from a DIY shop! Seriously though, there are hundreds of answers - number of dead people, number of people born, directionally positive numbers in general, number of digits in pi (so far!), etc.

7. The only clock that could be right once a day is a slow or fast clock. If this is true, then it "is time to get a new clock". Unless, of course, you meant a broken clock, which would be right twice a day if it had hands, never if the hands were broken off, or if it was a broken digital clock, just change the battery, plug it in, or get a new one.

8. A Tetrahedral (not a Tetrahedron) Read the thread for a description of it...

Anyone care to challenge me on question 1?

I will,because you saying stuped things.When the temperature is approximately 4°C the water has the bigest density.That means,when the temperature starts to droping down and reach 4°C the surface layer water become heavier and droping down and on it place comes new one with biger temperature.after some time this layer will olso cool till 4°C and olso fall down..That prevent the seas from freezing from the botom and doesn't mean at all that the water become hoter when is cooling.

1. Water. When being frozen at sea level, between the temperatures of +3.98°c and 0°c, something magical happens... At +3.98°c, water is at it's most dense (natrually), and so freezes into a solid. Between +3.98°c and 0°c, water becomes less dense, hence thawing and appearing "warmer", whilst actually getting colder, until at 0c, it freezes again.

Didn't any of you know this? How do you think your fish survive in winter when your pond freezes over? The top is frozen, as it is around 3.98°c, but the water underneath is between +3.98°c and 0°c.

2. Anything originally black, with white "dirt", such as chalk, dust (although that could be grey...) etc.

3. Sponge, cloth, towel, dogs, kids, etc. Anything that soaks up water really...

4. 8oz according to the starter of this thread... This is the only one I am not sure about, as I think it might be a joke, but I'm going to say "It depends on the woodchuck".

5. Expanding foam from a DIY shop! Seriously though, there are hundreds of answers - number of dead people, number of people born, directionally positive numbers in general, number of digits in pi (so far!), etc.

7. The only clock that could be right once a day is a slow or fast clock. If this is true, then it "is time to get a new clock". Unless, of course, you meant a broken clock, which would be right twice a day if it had hands, never if the hands were broken off, or if it was a broken digital clock, just change the battery, plug it in, or get a new one.

8. A Tetrahedral (not a Tetrahedron) Read the thread for a description of it...

Anyone care to challenge me on question 1?

Interesting theory. Water freezes at 0o C, not in 3.98o C. At near 4o C water becomes dense. As the temperature becomes cooler, density falls and when it comes to 0, ice is formed. This is the Basic law of thermal physics. That is why ice floats over water. fish survives as ice is floating over water and warmer water is beneath ice. NOT like your theory

All conundrums, but,

1. a freezer, as it gets colder for the food, it produces heat outside, or a chick, although she could get fat

2. a chalkboard

3. a drier

4. 2 answers: a wood chuck would chuck lots of wood if a woodchuck could chuck wood, or a wood chuck would chuck what a wood chuck chucks if a wood chuck could chuck wood

5. a numberline

6. none, one can be rich with no money, but a loving family, and one could have all the money, and not rich,for want of more

7. time to get a new clock

8. a square

what do u think??

Edited by the new riddler

Interesting theory. Water freezes at 0o C, not in 3.98o C. At near 4o C water becomes dense. As the temperature becomes cooler, density falls and when it comes to 0, ice is formed. This is the Basic law of thermal physics. That is why ice floats over water. fish survives as ice is floating over water and warmer water is beneath ice. NOT like your theory

I stand corrected by my post - I knew what i was thinking, I just typed it really fast not paying attention to what I was typing - it was after 5 on friday at the end of a very busy week after all!!

I'll keep thinking on this one...

7. only a fast clock would be right only once per day, a slow clock would show the right time at least twice per day.

example: if a clock lost one minute for every hour and was correct at 12:01am it would be correct again at around 11:35pm the same day

the fast clock could only between 1 and 30 minutes fast per hour or it too would show the correct time twice per day.

example: if a clock gained 31 minutes for every hour again starting with a correct time at 12:01am it would then also be correct again at around 11:35pm the same day.

The answer is "time to get a new clock"....lol

Liquid Nitrogen

blackboard

towel

no idea

My tax bill

None if you are named Richard

Midday or midnight.

Tetrahedron

Although I agree with the answer to #1 (as stated earlier in pages 1-3 or somewhere in there). My thought on it was originally fusion.

Cold fusion is extremely hot so I guess the colder it gets the hotter it is.