BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

books = good

I like the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale, and books by Dan Brown, and Harry Potter is ok (good atmosphere, hard to explain, but yeah), the His Dark Materials trilogy, a strange and un-heard-of book called Fly By Night, math/puzzle/etc books by Martin Gardner.... and lots of others. I know I'm forgetting a lot of good ones. Bartimaeus trilogy is great. Umm-yeah- I'm forgetting some more lol

His Dark Materials Trilogy - Phillip Pullman or anything by him. (hated the film The Golden Compass absolutely ruined his work! <_< ) lol

10 Men Dead - David Beresford. its a non-fiction about a hunger strike here in Ireland.. tough reading

Nothing but an Unfinished Song - its a biography on a man called Bobby Sands, toughest thing ive ever read

Aurthur Trilogy - Cant remember who by :huh: lol

Anything by John le Carré, Smileys People is really good, great spy novels :D

O n best for last: The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien... totally mad, crazy! But brilliant.. so good that my mum named her bookshop after it haha

I love Books :D lol

Lately all I'll read are memoirs. There are some fascinating, heartbreaking, devilish, triumphant, and enlightening stories out there. My favorites have been:

The Glass Castle - Jeanette Walls

Liar's Club - Mary Karr

Running With Scissors - Augusten Burroughs

(all of which were NY Times Best Sellers, I might add.)

I just started "Name all the Animals" by Alison Smith...If it's any good, I'll post again.

Oooh, some good ones have definately been mentioned, but missing:

- Kushiel's Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey

- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery

- Momo by Michael Ende

AND basically any DragonLance book written by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, most notable Dragons of Summer Flame...

Most romance novels aren't worth a mention, but Im still obsessed... :wub:

His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman, hands down. Golden Compass and Amber Spyglass especially, though Silver Knife was awesome too. I admit, I cried when I read 1 and 3. it was late at night, i was very sleepy, and they really were just that good.

His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman, hands down. Golden Compass and Amber Spyglass especially, though Silver Knife was awesome too. I admit, I cried when I read 1 and 3. it was late at night, i was very sleepy, and they really were just that good.

Did you see the film though? Dont you think it ruined that book? O and the first book is called The Northern Lights back home :D

Gosh there are just so many to choose from, but heres a few:

IT by Stephen King - well anything by Stephen King

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - well anything by Jane Austen

The Monk by Matthew Lewis

Hairy Maclary from Donaldsons Dairy by Lynley Dodd

Footrot Flats by Murray Ball

I've just realised I could go on forever so I will stop :)

The Monk by Matthew Lewis

Good call! The Monk (in my opinion) is one of the best novels ever written hands down. I should add Frankenstein to this list as well. And anything by Philip K. Dick.

For a great collection of short stories: anything by Neil Gaiman basically. I recently read Fragile Things. Almost every story in it is amazing.

*itachi adds Sword of Truth series and His Dark Materials series to his list*

My most favourite book (as I've noted a number of times on this site) is the Dictionary. I read it every day for my crosswords, spelling and checking meanings. I have 3 paper versions and use dictionaries online..

Tobruk to Tarakan by John Glenn- about the 2/48th Battalian from Australia, and my Grandpa was a soldier in this Battalian from the start to the end. They are the most highly decorated Australian Battalian in WW2..heavy stuff what they went through

A Shade of Blue

To Kill a Mockingbird

A Child Called It (very tragic)

Last Tango In Paris

just to name a few

Love autobiographies and biographies

and as a kid

Fungus the Bogeyman

The Borrowers

Too many others to mention in one post..lucky for you :D

ps..I dont ever watch a movie of a book I have enjoyed anymore...found it to be a very dissapointing account of my recollection of the story

Just went through these in two days

A child Called it

The Lost Boy

A Man Named Dave

By Dave Pelzer

Breaks your heart!

i just went on wikipedia and read the plot of a child called it. Well, actually, half of it. i got up to the part that said he swallowed amonia (?) while cleaning the bathroom, then i stopped because i almost burst out crying. seriously, how horrible can a boy's life get?! *start to scream and wail and burst into tears*

I like anything by Garth Nix, especially the old kingdom series (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorson) and also the keys to the kingdom series (minster monday, grim tuesday, drowned wednesday, sir thursday, lady friday and supirior saturday, which i am yet to read) and i like Jupiter by Ben Bova.

all my favorite books are written by Frank Peretti...he is a fabulous author and his books are awsome. Also The Last Jihad and the four following books within that series are really good as well. I cant remember the name of the author though. And my favorite book as a kid would have to be Where the Red Firn Grows...made me ball my eyes out hahaha

Edited by WESTICLES