BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Three Baskets

Question

You have three baskets (which you must blindly choose from), one labled "oranges" one labeled "apples" and one labeled "apples & oranges" and you know that all the labels are incorrect. The question is how many items and from which baskets must you choose to properly lable all three baskets?

3 answers to this question

You only need to reach into one box - the one labeled "apples & oranges". It is mis-labeled, so it is either apples or oranges - whichever fruit you pull out is what it is. Let's assume it's an apple. Then the box labeled "oranges" (which can't contain oranges since it's mis-labeled, and can't contain apples since we've already determined that apples are in the box labeled "apples & oranges") must contain apples and oranges. The third box, which is labeled "apples", by elimination must contain oranges. This works conversely as well. If the fruit inside the box labeled "apples & oranges" is an orange, then the fruit in the box labeled "apples" must be mixed, and the fruit inside the box labeled "oranges" must be apples.

Argh!

This was also pretty easy. I'm just too new to post the answer first ;P

Hi ben, let me say welcome to the boards firstly. Please don't take offense to my secondly, but this is a great example of resurrecting an old thread for no reason. Please only post to old threads if you have something to add to the discussion. Check out the moderator's message !Important: READ BEFORE POSTING