BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Roses

Question

I have a number of roses for sale. The first buyer bought half of my roses then I gave him additional one for free. The second buyer bought half of the remaining roses then I gave him additional one also for free. The third buyer also bought half of the remaining roses then I gave him additional one also for free, this time all of my roses has been sold out.

How many roses do I have?

21 answers to this question

I have a number of roses for sale. The first buyer bought half of my roses then I gave him additional one for free. The second buyer bought half of the remaining roses then I gave him additional one also for free. The third buyer also bought half of the remaining roses then I gave him additional one also for free, this time all of my roses has been sold out.

eight

You dont have any roses.... remember you sold all of them.

I agree with the answer of 14, HOWEVER, the question was "How many roses do I have?" Well, after you have given your last one away, you now have ZERO, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH. . . . .

Acutally the question reads "How many roses DO I have?" The answer is none..... You gave them ALL OUT....... the answer would be 14 IF the answer asked "How many roses DID I have?"

0 you sold them all! ???

The answer can't be 14. If that was the case than the first person would buy 5 1/2. How can you buy a half. If they want the beginning amount then the correct answer is 24.

First person: 1/2 +1 gave one away

2nd Person: 1/2 of a 1/2 (1/4) +1 gave one away

3rd Person: 1/2 of a 1/2 of a 1/2 (1/8) +1 gave one away

so 1/8th = 3 (that's how many he gave away)

3 x 8 = 24

The answer can't be 14. If that was the case than the first person would buy 5 1/2. How can you buy a half. If they want the beginning amount then the correct answer is 24.

5 1/2 is half of 11, not 14.

24 won't work because then you will run into a situation where the second buyer buys 5 1/2 roses. If selling fractions of roses is legitimate, the seller could never end up with 0 roses. Starting with 24, the seller would be left with 1 1/4.

started with 14 sold half plus one (8) to first customer

now have 6 sold half plus one (4) to second customer

now have 2 sold half plus one (2) to last customer

now have 0

started with 14 ended with 0