BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Smuggling sand?

Question

Every day, a cyclist crosses the border between France and Germany carrying a bag. Each day they empty out the bag and all there is in the bag is sand. No matter how much customs officials investigate him, they do not know what he is smuggling. Do you? ?

• Answers 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The statement is" a Cyclist" where does it say a bike is involved? If we are guessing at what is being smuggled with little information. It could be the bag or sand, as long as we are only guessing using what information we actually have. If we are guessing from a perspective of what is possible. The list is quite long..clothing, wigs com to mind..

The statement is" a Cyclist" where does it say a bike is involved? If we are guessing at what is being smuggled with little information. It could be the bag or sand, as long as we are only guessing using what information we actually have. If we are guessing from a perspective of what is possible. The list is quite long..clothing, wigs com to mind..

another question.. Are Germany and France sharing a border? <_<

How does he get across back and forth? He can't be doing much smuggling if he brings a bike with him both ways. The only bike smuggling he can be doing is every day he trades his 1 day old bike for a brand new bike. That's the only way they wouldn't notice him coming with a bike one way, and walking the other.

another question.. Are Germany and France sharing a border? <_<

Can try google for these, Yes they do! they have been moving the border for centuries - Germany h

ave Alsatian dogs (German shepherd) which is from Alsace which was/is french/german territory I believe.

If he did'nt have a bike he would be a pedestrian - but he may have had a puncture with all that heavy sand and carried it over the border. So you do have a point. It has erked me from the begining that the search him - no mention of the bike!

Still we can only keep guessing as there seems to be no perfect conclusion with the information given.

Every day, a cyclist crosses the border between France and Germany carrying a bag. Each day they empty out the bag and all there is in the bag is sand. No matter how much customs officials investigate him, they do not know what he is smuggling. Do you? ?

Perhaps they don't know gold dust when they see it!

We know:

1. There is a cyclist (we don't know he has a bike. "Cyclist" is what you'd call, for example, Lance Armstrong, even without a bike.)

2. He crossed the border "between" France and Germany

3. A bag with sand in it, but nothing else ("all there is is sand in the bag")

4. He is "investigated" by the customs officials

5. Customs officials don't know what he's smuggling

We don't know:

1. If he actually is on a bike

2. What border he is crossing. There are several boarders "between" France and Germany: France's boarders with Germany, Luxemburg, and Denmark, Germany's border with France, Luxemburg and Denmark, and arguably Denmark's border with Luxemberg. Or, you could travel west from France or East from Germany, and there would be even more borders.

3. how much "no matter how much customs officials investigate him" means -- could mean they looked at him, could mean full body cavity search

4. the condition of the customs officials (blind, stupid, etc.)

So, do I "know" what he's smuggling. No, because there is clearly insufficient information to reach an answer. If bicycle is an acceptable answer, I say the answer is nuclear rockets. I see no reason why my assumption that he's carrying a rocket is any less reasonable than the assumption that he's carrying a bicycle. You can't say: "well the customs guys would have noticed a rocket" because they would have noticed a bicycle, too.

I'd guess he's not smuggling anything, rather the sand-filled bags are being used as physical training weights for the tour de France bike race ¬_¬

We know:

1. There is a cyclist (we don't know he has a bike. "Cyclist" is what you'd call, for example, Lance Armstrong, even without a bike.)

2. He crossed the border "between" France and Germany

3. A bag with sand in it, but nothing else ("all there is is sand in the bag")

4. He is "investigated" by the customs officials

5. Customs officials don't know what he's smuggling

We don't know:

1. If he actually is on a bike

2. What border he is crossing. There are several boarders "between" France and Germany: France's boarders with Germany, Luxemburg, and Denmark, Germany's border with France, Luxemburg and Denmark, and arguably Denmark's border with Luxemberg. Or, you could travel west from France or East from Germany, and there would be even more borders.

3. how much "no matter how much customs officials investigate him" means -- could mean they looked at him, could mean full body cavity search

4. the condition of the customs officials (blind, stupid, etc.)

So, do I "know" what he's smuggling. No, because there is clearly insufficient information to reach an answer. If bicycle is an acceptable answer, I say the answer is nuclear rockets. I see no reason why my assumption that he's carrying a rocket is any less reasonable than the assumption that he's carrying a bicycle. You can't say: "well the customs guys would have noticed a rocket" because they would have noticed a bicycle, too.

You are the best! I perfectly agree with you!

For me he mot smuggling nothing he is just carrying the sand bag to be heavier and get trained

;)