BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

grey cells

Question

Yeah! You guessed right . This one is an interview question , which was asked to me just yesterday(No kidding!A real interview.My first one and Yippee .....I got selected).Thanks for the welcome-back-to-the-den ritual Bona and Eagle(hey!where's the musical troupe :P )

I hope this one hasn't been done before , at the den. :rolleyes:

Interviewer:(in a growling voice :mad: )What is the height of each of the walls in this room(interview hall)?You have no measuring instruments or anything else with which you can compare the height.So now what is the height?(eyes riveted on me , glaring)

Candidate(myself :blink: ):??????????

• Answers 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

interview rooms can be any size so commonly if not an old, old building between 9'and 14' because you know your own height and you can judge nearly how far away the ceiling is and add the 2?

I believe exactness is not possible without more info. Also it's almost time for my before bedtime crossword puzzle so maybe tomorrow will be too late.

Edited by akaslickster

one exact answer is not possible. ;) Sort of a hint.

And the size of the interview rooms may not be the same everywhere . For instance , in this case , the interview was held in our college campus.

EDIT:OK , good night , Aka. Wish you luck on the BBCP. :lol:

Edited by grey cells

if you used your height, then isn't that using a "comparing" tool? seems any answer would just be a guesstimate.

Edited by bruswain

could you estimate your eye level then how far you are from the wall by pacing it out, then look up at the edge of celing and wall estimate the angle and then use trigonmetry, hope your allowed a calculater, to work it out.

All the same

note that a door is 6'6 and ceiling is usually plus 1/4

0r most tiles are 6,8, or 10" these are facts not comparrissons, I presume you walked in through a door not via a hole in the floor or ceiling

welcome GC

welcome GC

All the same

note that a door is 6'6 and ceiling is usually plus 1/4

0r most tiles are 6,8, or 10" these are facts not comparrissons, I presume you walked in through a door not via a hole in the floor or ceiling

frankly , I did not know that. Thanks for the info LIS , and you are permitted to trade coffee beans with Bona. :lol:

But I had another answer in mind. ;)

And thanks for the welcome. :)

EDIT:Typo

Edited by grey cells

you could yell up at the ceiling and count the number of seconds it takes to come back to you. then you multiply that times 343 m/s (the speed of sound of air at 20 degrees celcius

you could yell up at the ceiling and count the number of seconds it takes to come back to you. then you multiply that times 343 m/s (the speed of sound of air at 20 degrees celcius

I very much doubt I would have been selected , if I had employed that method. ;)

Until now , only LIS has a credible quantitative answer.