BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Plane

Question

This question is far from being a riddle. There are an infinite amount of circumstances in which something like this would take place.

In the case a plane is being towed by another plane or vehicle, or even in a merry-go-round the plane is not being piloted by Jack. As vague as the question is it does mention that Jack is piloting the plane, NOT the vehicle in front. I've run out of fingers to count on the possible scenarios. From a mechanical malfunction to a scared grandmother backseat pilot to a road which has no room for overtaking.

But keep in mind. Airplanes may be fast in the air. But, On the ground, they are large tricycles with large wings hanging at the sides making it very unstable on road surfaces. Therefore airplanes are not meant to go fast on the road. In fact, in flight school they'll tell you that your taxi speed should be about the speed of a fast walk or sprint. Cars on the other hand, are designed to reach it's peak speed on the ground. On track days I take my bike out and often catch myself doing around 170 or 180 mph. I can't think of a single airplane that can go that fast and stay on the ground.

So, If i was to rephrase this question. I would take out the "why?" at the end. Because this is not a question, It's statement. Jack was piloting a plane behind a car

but was never able to overtake it. PERIOD! end of story. no whys or buts.

I can't beleive no one knows this...

The plane is flying into an extreme headwind and it's groundspeed is less than the car's. A small plane can actually have a negative groundspeed in a strong headwind and not stall because the airspeed is high enough to keep the plane aloft. Airspeed and groundspeed are not related.

Ben

I know this is an old topic, but i saw the riddle from the igoogle app and instantly thought of another solution. Piloting a plane - he could mean plane as in a dimension. The person behind the car could be in another car, or a bike, or just walking.