BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

One day, a farmer who for some reason grows only oats wants to bring his 300 baskets of oats to the market. He only has one horse that is able to carry the oats, and it can carry 100 baskets at a time. The only problem is that it eats a basket of oats every mile that it carries them, and the farm is 100 miles away from the market! What is the biggest amount of baskets of oats that the farmer can get to the market?

The farmer has no cars, planes, friends, etc that can help him, and he can do nothing to stop the horse from eating oats as it travels.

The horse doesn't run on oats, it just eats oats whenever it carries them. The horse can go places without oats, but when it has oats on its back, it eats them.

6 answers to this question

I think the farmer can take atleast 75 Oats to the Market.

He can travel with 100 Oats till 50 miles, can leave the remaining 50 there (remaining because horse would have had 50 Oats already).

Then come back empty, take another 100 and leave the reamining 50 and do the same for reamining 100.

now start with next 100, take till 25 miles and leave and leave 75.

come back and take the next 50 so now he will have 100 Oats left and 25 miles to travel so he can take atkeast 75 with this rule.

I am sure there will be many more logis like ths I just tried to do the simplest way.

Regards,

Harmeet :)

He could either tie the baskets to a rope and have the horse drag to the market (the weight will not equal to dragging)

or

if he has a cart, have the horse drag the cart.