BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

"What's the password?" asked Cerberus with a snarl. Hercules was confused for a moment. Then he realized he had received a strange dream from Hermes about this encounter weeks before. What Hermes said to him in his dream might help Hercules find the password so he doesn't have to battle Cerberus. Hermes left an eternal memory of his words in Hercules' mind. He said:

Diomedes was just expelled.

He is worth his weight in gold pennies.

Wouldn't you agree?

He may be a big talker.

But he's rarely in the wrong.

And he shows a lot of toughness.

And remember Hercules!

Invalid Nestor:

Near Odysseus' boats lying east.

Gives a sage equal standing.

17 answers to this question

;)

There is a common thread between Hercules, Diomedes, and Nestor. One of Hercules' labors was to capture a monstrous boar. Diomedes had a boar on his shield and sword, part of the family crest. Also Nestor is implied to be a 'bore' because of his long-winded stories and advice. So could the password be 'boar'? Just throwing out a guess. Although the answer probably has nothing to do with mythology and more to do with the structure of Hermes' clue and logic. Right?

IMO, I believe that the quote is a mnemonic device. I believe that the password is "in noble gases", which is represented by the first letter of each word of the quote that Hercules was told to remember.

Edited by jabujabu

Helium? He + In Noble Gases?

"What's the password?" asked Cerberus with a snarl. Hercules was confused for a moment. Then he realized he had received a strange dream from Hermes about this encounter weeks before. What Hermes said to him in his dream might help Hercules find the password so he doesn't have to battle Cerberus. Hermes left an eternal memory of his words in Hercules' mind. He said:

Diomedes was just expelled.

He is worth his weight in gold pennies.

Wouldn't you agree?

He may be a big talker.

But he's rarely in the wrong.

And he shows a lot of toughness.

And remember Hercules!

Invalid Nestor:

Near Odysseus' boats lying east.

Gives a sage equal standing.

I was thinking that it could be MERCURY. Looking at the fitst part, Diometes is referenced. He later becomes the king of Argos in Greece which is also the root of Argon. The second line refernces gold. Gold is used as a transfer medium between argon and mercury for mercury testing. I could be very wrong but this seemd like a possible answer...

I'm with beninjax. I think he's got it right--I got the same thing before viewing his spoiler. Clever as always, Itachi.

Edited by Budouka

IMO, I believe that the quote is a mnemonic device. I believe that the password is "in noble gases", which is represented by the first letter of each word of the quote that Hercules was told to remember.

Since this one is rather tough and you are on the right track here's a hint.

the words you found are the "key" to deciphering the password

pigeon

The noble gases are He, Ne, Ar, Kr, Xe, and Rn

exPelled. (between xe)

pennIes. (between ne)

aGree? (between ar)

talkEr. (between kr)

wrOng. (between rn)

toughNess. (between he)

In between the noble gases, based on the key that others deciphered, are those letters.

edit to make the explanation clearer

Edited by ChuckJerry

Don't you? I actually posted this really late last night. I just woke up and am already surfing... I should go surfing for real it seems <_<

ok fine

then why does it say that u posted it at 6:30? You actually wake up that early? Just kidden!!! Sometimes i do

People from all over the world post on this forum. Most likely we're not in the same time zones...
Times shown are local times, as opposed to zulu time/GMT - does depend where you are, it does not show the time of the post was in the country of origin, only the destination.

Another great topic!