BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I've always been pretty creative with writing poems and drawing. I never keep anything that I have done tho or could possibly write/draw the same thing twice. I really don't like to even attempt to see something that I've done in the past. I feel that if review something that you have done.. mentally you are backing yourself up to that point in time and not moving forward to where you are now. I always have this picture in my mind that looks like this...

......|.......>

the "|" is something you have done and the ">" is where you are now.

......|........|........|.......>

going back to something would feel like this:

......I......../.....>

^

Well I feel that if you constantly go back to something that you have done, the mental growth of where you are going is somewhat hindered by the feelings and emotions (or thoughts) that you had originally with what you had written or drawn. This expands not only to drawing or writing but in regards to relationships and social expansion. If you stay in one place with where you are or constantly go back to something you've done, it is hindering growth.

Is there a better way of putting what I'm trying to say or does it make sense? Or am I just crazy?

8 answers to this question

You may be crazy, but I don't think that's the issue at hand. ;)

I have thought along similar lines in regards to various aspects of a person's life. I don't believe that anyone is ever truly "standing" still in life. I'm going to use Christianity again as my example. No Christian is ever truly staying on a constant level, spiritually. He is either growing and learning spiritually, or going backwards. A kid in school who fails and grade and has to repeat it isn't considered to be staying in the same place. He's considered to be behind. (That may not be the best example, but you see my point.)

Life is never still. Changes are constantly occuring. If a person isn't learning with those changes, then, even when it appears that he's standing still, he is really missing out on all those lessons. And that's a backwards slide

I don't think I agree with this as far as writing goes, although I've known others who felt the same way. It can be good to look at the past to see where you are now. Are you glad to be where you are? Do you wish things were different? Are you still angry over the things you wrote that poem about? And you still happy about them? Why? What has changed? What do you need to change in order to get to where you want to be? It can be good for self-analysis. Personally, I also like to look back at some of the things I've written that I think are really good.

But if reviewing your past works hinders you, then I'd say don't do it. Just one thing about that though...I knew this guy that threw away things he wrote when he was done, and he ended up dying in an accident. There weren't very many of his writings left, and that was a bummer. So I'd recommend that you put at least a handful of your works aside somewhere safe, out of sight, just because....

Sorry, not a very well thought out post...but that's how I am this week.

edited for spelling!

Edited by onetruth

I don't see any harm in revisiting art and ideas from the past. There's nothing wrong with nostalgia and the feelings that a creative piece can re-stir in your mind. In fact, as an artist and a writer myself, I find it very helpful to review my older works because they often inspire new creativity. I think you can be handicapping yourself by cutting yourself off from your history.

I've always been pretty creative with writing poems and drawing. I never keep anything that I have done tho or could possibly write/draw the same thing twice. I really don't like to even attempt to see something that I've done in the past. I feel that if review something that you have done.. mentally you are backing yourself up to that point in time and not moving forward to where you are now. I always have this picture in my mind that looks like this...

......|.......>

the "|" is something you have done and the ">" is where you are now.

......|........|........|.......>

going back to something would feel like this:

......I......../.....>

^

Well I feel that if you constantly go back to something that you have done, the mental growth of where you are going is somewhat hindered by the feelings and emotions (or thoughts) that you had originally with what you had written or drawn. This expands not only to drawing or writing but in regards to relationships and social expansion. If you stay in one place with where you are or constantly go back to something you've done, it is hindering growth.

Is there a better way of putting what I'm trying to say or does it make sense? Or am I just crazy?

I know exactly what you're talking about. It is from a seminar I saw on TV. The idea is to motivate you to move forward or up the ladder. i.e. is this guy in a boat he needs not to see the wavy water in front of him. He needs to push it all behind while rowing quickly. The idea is to push all your negative past crap behind you and don't look back on it because as you see no white water in front of you, you're on top of things and the object of growing bigger and better is to not rely on the past and keep going forward or be on top of the game of life. I want to be at the front of the boat, but not if it's crashing into a liner. :lol:

There is more to life than increasing speed - Mahatma Gandhi

Onetruth is right about nostalgia. The past is what you are made of! Any road up a s they say in Peckham - It's your life and your choice. Here's a thought though. Do you buy food you like in the supermarket or restaurant or do you never try the same thing twice?

Sometimes we all like something comfortable and safe. A certainty!

Do we need everything at internet speed? Well we do to book our holiday but on our holiday - I don't is that just me!

Lots of people go to the same old place to enjoy what they have found to be ideal with good hosts at a B&B, rather than to add itinary to their listof 'been there done that'

Lets not live in the past, but enjoy our memories!

Regarding artistic work...

I used to be a perfectionist and everyone said I never completed anything because I kept it to myself as if it needed finishing, where in fact i did not need to display things that gave me self satisfaction. Did give some away to people I liked though.

Analytical1, if you completely ignored all your past experiences, you would never learn anything. You would move from one thing to the next but fundamentally you would not develop as a person. If you take all you can from your past experiences, and carry it with you in some constructive way, then you will change, and that's growth rather than just movement. I'm sure you do that anyway, but this mental model of not looking back seems not to acknowledge that. There are many things we can learn from, and the past is one of them. The good thing about the past is that you've been there personally, so reviewing your past works can give you an insight into how you have changed and how you thought previously. It's all good. Growth and moving forward is fine, but very future-oriented. Happiness only exists in the present.

To Analytical1:

The past is what makes us who we are... and what we will become.

you cant just forget it...even if you tried you couldnt. you dont have to

look back on what you did, just be glad that you learned something from it.

if you dont have any regrets you didnt learn much.

Edited by Thuhchris

To Analytical1:

The past is what makes us who we are... and what we will become.

you cant just forget it...even if you tried you couldnt. you dont have to

look back on what you did, just be glad that you learned something from it.

if you dont have any regrets you didnt learn much.

Very well put, Chris. We need to remember failed actions, so as not to fail again under the same circumstance. It's also important to move up a ladder for many people. They are afraid if they look down they may fall. ( Old wives tale, or power of suggestion.) I would rather face fears myself, at least once. When it's truly time to forget something, you will forget automatically. peace out.

Edited by akaslickster

If you were on the Chris Farley show and he was like, "Ahh, you 'member that time when you drew that picture?," then you would have to say, "No."

Seriously, though, I think a big part of growth is reflecting on where you came from and how you got where you're at. Experiences that shape your decision making, whether creatively or just relative to what you want for dinner, are important to understand. Moving forward without reflection takes away from your overall growth, which is what it seems like you're striving for.