BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

By Law?

Question

A rooster is sitting on the diagonal roof of Bob's house. If it lays an egg and it rolls to the right (westward), it lands in Bob's property. But if it rolls to the left (eastward), it will be on Sam's property. If it goes eastward who gets to keep the egg?

the following may help you

Under the law, California Penal Code section 459, burglary is committed when entering a building with the specific intent to steal something or commit a felony. All the state needs to prove is that you had the intent to steal something or commit a felony when entering a building. The prosecution does not have to prove that you actually stole something or committed a felony.

For example, you could be found guilty of burglary for entering a building with the intent of vandalizing it. You could also be found guilty of burglary even if there was no evidence of stolen property IF the state can prove you had the intent to steal something when you entered the building.

There are two types of burglary under California law:

* First degree burglary, which is always a felony and a strike; and

* Second degree burglary, which can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony and is not a strike.

Before I start researching the California code, please confirm that this isn't a "ha,ha, roosters don't lay eggs" joke...

Sorry - I can not confirm this

Before I start researching the California code, please confirm that this isn't a "ha,ha, roosters don't lay eggs" joke...

Even if the rooster was able to lay and egg (it can't) the "egg" would still be the roosters... right? :huh:

1. Do they have chickens in California? I've never been there.

2. Roosters do not lay eggs.

3. If the egg fell from a roof, not even all the guvner's horses and men could put it back together.

4. The egg would belong to the owner of the chicken. It would have to remain on the neighbor's property for a while to become his. (Think about leaving a wallet at a friend's house. He doesn't own it.)

5. If the rooster did lay an egg in California, and dropped it off the roof. He would either sue the neighbor for having ground that was too hard or be plucked, tarred, and refeathered for getting an abortion.

Even if it did somehow, by some freak of nature since roosters don't lay eggs, lay an egg, and it rolled off the building, neither side would keep it because it would break when it hit the ground.

A rooster is sitting on the diagonal roof of Bob's house. If it lays an egg and it rolls to the right (westward), it lands in Bob's property. But if it rolls to the left (eastward), it will be on Sam's property. If it goes eastward who gets to keep the egg?

the following may help you

yea rooster don't lay eggs. but if it could...

it would depend on who owns the rooster.

at c/l the finder of lost prop has greater rights to the found prop than all the world except the true owner.

If an egg rolls over and hits the floor, doesn't it break?

so what good would it be then?

If Sam found the egg and no one owns the egg then Sam gets to keep the egg since the egg rolled over onto Sam's property.

:huh:

Edited by legal geek

1. Do they have chickens in California? I've never been there.

2. Roosters do not lay eggs.

3. If the egg fell from a roof, not even all the guvner's horses and men could put it back together.

4. The egg would belong to the owner of the chicken. It would have to remain on the neighbor's property for a while to become his. (Think about leaving a wallet at a friend's house. He doesn't own it.)

5. If the rooster did lay an egg in California, and dropped it off the roof. He would either sue the neighbor for having ground that was too hard or be plucked, tarred, and refeathered for getting an abortion.

1.Yes there are chickens in California

and everything else is a yes

I agree with Lost_in_Space... take the rooster to Ripleys.

Of course, the egg will probably be worth something as well, and you might want to see if something comes out of it.

If it rolls eastward, the egg, if unbroken, will belong to the rooster, and whoever owns that rooster. Just because something comes into my yard doesn't mean I own it...or I would own a lot of toys from my neighbors, and a lot of skunks, cats, geese, etc. that like to pass through.

A roster can't lay eggs. Another version I heard was if a rooster lays an egg on the very tip of a roof wich way will it fall. i leared this in 2nd grade.

This revision would still be impossible seeing how ROOSTERS DON'T LAY EGGS!!!!!!!!!!...EVER!!!

Edited by Catlo

The question is not asking whether or not roosters lay eggs. The word of emphasis is "if" the rooster lays the egg.

(It would be like posing a riddle saying "if a blonde walked into a bar and asked..." only to say the "correct" answer is "blondes don't walk into bars." Whether it is possible or not is not relevant)

I would say it belongs to Sam.

If a piece of fruit from someone else's tree falls off and lands on your property it's your fruit (where i live at least). I believe the same would hold in california for eggs.

Edited by Noct

Yeah the question says "If " the rooster lays an egg, so we must assume that for some reason it did lay an egg. The egg would of course break, so no one would get to keep the egg.

Yeah the question says "If " the rooster lays an egg, so we must assume that for some reason it did lay an egg. The egg would of course break, so no one would get to keep the egg.

It could have fallen into thick grass or water though in which case it wouldn't necessarily break :wacko:

Even if it did somehow, by some freak of nature since roosters don't lay eggs, lay an egg, and it rolled off the building, neither side would keep it because it would break when it hit the ground.

But don't you think if by some freak of nature a rooster lays an egg, the egg would survive even if it falls from a top of 10-storey building?

The problem here is there is too much ambiguity in the original statement.

1 roosters don't lay eggs

2 it doesn't state who owns the bird

So even if it were a chicken, the answer could be either one, and the california rules are meerly a red herring.