BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Fortune Cookie

unreality

Question

hey guys, I just thought of this... I'm not sure if its a paradox or not.

You open a Chinese fortune cookie and the fortune reads: "This fortune will not come true."

Is that a paradox? I'm not sure...

cuz if it does come true, then it says it didn't come true... which it did, so itd be false

but if its false, if the fortune doesnt come true, the fortune happened correctly and it was true

paradox (just basically the same as the Liar's Paradox, i realize now)

20 answers to this question

There is no paradox because fortune cookies have the ability to be wrong.

if you were to say it was a fortune teller from some fantasy world that could actually tell fortunes, and was forced to convey them truthfully, (else he could lie about the fortune) then you would have a paradox.

It is a paradox because it refers to itself and saint it itself is false.

It is saying that a negative(itself) is negative making it a positive which therfore again makes it negative; it is a classic paradox cycle.

You open a Chinese fortune cookie and the fortune reads: "This fortune will not come true."

cuz if it does come true, then it says it didn't come true... which it did, so itd be false

but if its false, if the fortune doesnt come true, the fortune happened correctly and it was true

This COULD be a paradox, but then you have to ask yourself- what is the fortune that won't come true? It can't be the fortune from that particular fortune cookie- it isn't a fortune.

no what u have to say is the

A man opens a fortune cookie that stats:

"You will open this cookie and the fortune will not come true"

because then there is a fortune and it has already become false, its not a true parodox but it is a better one then yours

The Indian market is flooded with Chinese goods and trust me not many are reliable n durable. Theres no argument about the fabric quality.

Its not possible to decide your fortune from a fortune cookie. I personaly feel destiny cannot be altered and definitely a fortune cookie cannot seal a persons fate. According to me the above is not a paradox.

WHAT HAS TO HAPPEN IN A PERSONS LIFE HAPPENS... NOT BECAUSE A FORTUNE COOKIE TOLD SO.

"You open a Chinese fortune cookie and the fortune reads: "This fortune will not come true."

This is not a paradox. There is no fortune to come true, or not to come true. As some others said, there is no prediction. Thus there is no loop, no contradiction. In essense, the statement does not make sense, and alsocannot be a paradox, sadly. :mellow:

RE: Origin of "Fortune Cookie": Requested by (guest, or establishment) to chef for delivery to guest or establishment.

Ancient form of PM..(personal message).

Edited by Xspyder

The Indian market is flooded with Chinese goods and trust me not many are reliable n durable. Theres no argument about the fabric quality.

Its not possible to decide your fortune from a fortune cookie. I personaly feel destiny cannot be altered and definitely a fortune cookie cannot seal a persons fate. According to me the above is not a paradox.

WHAT HAS TO HAPPEN IN A PERSONS LIFE HAPPENS... NOT BECAUSE A FORTUNE COOKIE TOLD SO.

lol I think you're misunderstanding me... I would be the last one to believe in a fortune cookie. I believe completely in free will ;D it was just a paradox for paradox's sake (but apparently there is some arguement over whether it's a paradox or not, though it doesnt matter cuz its pointless)

This could be a paradox yeah but again with all the possibilities of them also being false and the fact that its so general that theres no real base to it... theres is no way to be right or wrong, pretty much a vicious circle but in the end it rolls towards nothing :) naff all lol

and a fortune cookie can not alter or determine someones future... if you believe that its free will then it may happen by chance and still run correctly through what may or will happen but not be reason for what happens... like a coincidence.

besides you don't actually mention what this fortune actually was... :)

It is a paradox because it refers to itself and saint it itself is false.

It is saying that a negative(itself) is negative making it a positive which therfore again makes it negative; it is a classic paradox cycle.

It is just one of those lying paradoxes, with the only possibility of being true is being false, and in being false it must be true. It is stating that it's self is true that it's false.

One thing would say something, then another status is used, but that status is one that covers the whole, and thus starts the paradox.

in our world this would technically not be a paradox but i get what unreality is saying because if fortune cookies were always correct and the fortune must happen as stated it would be a paradox

It still is a paradox. The validity of fortune cookies has nothing to do with it. It either comes true or it doesn't and neither one is really foretold by the cookie. The paradox lies in the fact that if the fortune comes true, then by the fortune's statement it didn't come true. Conversely, for the fortune not to come true, the fortune's statement must be true.

Addressing the validity issue: A fortune on a piece of paper is no more or less valid than a statement stamped on a plate as in the double liar's paradox. Because a fortune cookie involves the future, it is easy to discount that part of the problem as not relevant, but it actually is a perfectly good analogy to the double liar paradox as unreality states.