Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Six Cups

Question

Posted · Report post

i saw this somewhere else and decided to draw it and stuff:

sixcups.jpg

Here are six cups. Three of them are empty, three have wine in them. Your goal is to make the line of cups alternate (wine-empty-wine-empty or empty-wine-empty-etc). You can only touch one cup and that is the cup you move. You may not move any other cups with or without your hand except if you are pushing the cup you chose to move between two other cups. How do you do it?

Pour cup 4 into empty cup 1!

21 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Take the fourth cup... and pour the wine in it into the first one and replace it in the old position.

Posted · Report post

hooray! lol thats a sucky one isnt it. try my Lightbulbs one i like that one

Posted · Report post

well, im glad you guys told me how, i was thinking WAY too hard on that one

Posted · Report post

E E W W W E

1. Take the fourth cup to the back ...

E E W -- W E W

2. Put the first cup on the place of "--"

E W E W E W

Posted · Report post

brhan look at the bolded part in my OP:

sixcups.jpg

Here are six cups. Three of them are empty, three have wine in them. Your goal is to make the line of cups alternate (wine-empty-wine-empty or empty-wine-empty-etc). You can only touch one cup and that is the cup you move. You may not move any other cups with or without your hand except if you are pushing the cup you chose to move between two other cups. How do you do it?

your solution doesn't work ;D

Posted · Report post

ahh ... I got it now, thanx for the clarification.

Posted · Report post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you also be able to move cup number 4 and place it between cups 1 and 2? The riddle states "You may not move any other cups with or without your hand except if you are pushing the cup you chose to move between two other cups".

Posted · Report post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you also be able to move cup number 4 and place it between cups 1 and 2? The riddle states "You may not move any other cups with or without your hand except if you are pushing the cup you chose to move between two other cups".

that does make sense if you think about it for a little cause you'll push it with the cup not your hand nice thinking Kyoti :)B)):D

Posted · Report post

Since all 3 cups with wine are sequential...you can choose any of them and pour it into cup 1 then push it between the other 2 glasses that originally had wine

Posted · Report post

sixcups.jpg

I'll take the 4th glass and pour the wine into the first.This way we'll have-wine-empty-wine-empty-wine-empty.

Posted · Report post

pour cup4 into cup 1

Posted · Report post

Uh, no, that doesn't work. You'd still have two wine cups in a row (original positions 3 and 5). I'm pretty sure that the other solution posted is the only one that works.

Posted · Report post

Drink all red wine with a straw pee in cups 1-3 and 5 and tell everybody its Chardonay.

Posted · Report post

Uh, no, that doesn't work. You'd still have two wine cups in a row (original positions 3 and 5). I'm pretty sure that the other solution posted is the only one that works.

Dang, you're right. I had forgotten that there were 3 filled cups in a row, and by moving one there were still two in a row. Since my solution didn't work, I agree that the original solution is probably the only valid solution.

Posted · Report post

Or could you take #6 and add it between #2 and #3. E,E,E - F,F,F

Posted · Report post

Pour the wine from the fourth cup into the first cup then replace cup four in its original position. Am I missing something simple that makes this problem more complex?

Posted · Report post

I must be missing something ...

If this is the starting lineup: O O O * * *

... and I pour cup 4 into cup 1, I get this: * O O O * *

which is NOT the desired outcome. So the starting lineup is something else? Defined where in the problem statement?

Help me see your logic please!

Posted · Report post

I must be missing something ...

If this is the starting lineup: O O O * * *

... and I pour cup 4 into cup 1, I get this: * O O O * *

which is NOT the desired outcome. So the starting lineup is something else? Defined where in the problem statement?

Help me see your logic please!

Never mind! With my work computer (running Win XP Pro) and firefox I could not see the original graphic with the cups in the

original arrangement, and assumed it was as above. It makes the problem MUCH more difficult this way!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dude OOXXXO O=empty X=half wine. Get it

Edited by akaslickster

Posted · Report post

Take the fourth cup and poor it into the first cup then set the fourth cup back in its original spot.

Posted · Report post

A second solution is to use cup #1 to push cup #4 around to the now empty #1 spot and return your cup to the newly vacated #4 spot, satisfying the requirements of (a) touching only one cup and (b) moving no other cups except if moving yours between two others (#3 and #5).