BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

How Much

Question

How can you dig half of a hole

yay! you got it.

err.. wouldn't half a hole mean:

hole of same cross-section , but with half the depth?

or maybe even same depth, but half cross-section?

I don't know about you but I don't usualy find any dirt in a hole, no matter how large it is

This answer is just wrong. Imagine you have a hole that you then fill with 60 Christmas presents. How many Christmas presents are there in the hole? Are you seriously telling me that the hole ceases to exist when it's filled with presents? What if it's filled with water, is it then not a hole?

The correct answer to this question is 96 x pi.

This answer is just wrong. Imagine you have a hole that you then fill with 60 Christmas presents. How many Christmas presents are there in the hole? Are you seriously telling me that the hole ceases to exist when it's filled with presents? What if it's filled with water, is it then not a hole?

i can see why you think its wrong

if there are presents in the hole, it is a hole filled with presents.

however, if the hole is made from dirt in the ground, then there will be no dirt in the hole. if you put dirt in, you are actually decreasing the size of the hole, which, once the size is zero, ceases to exist. :mellow:

i can see why you think its wrong

if there are presents in the hole, it is a hole filled with presents.

however, if the hole is made from dirt in the ground, then there will be no dirt in the hole. if you put dirt in, you are actually decreasing the size of the hole, which, once the size is zero, ceases to exist. :mellow:

Okay, even if I accept that rationale, where does the problem state that the hole is made from dirt? Perhaps a hole cut into a concrete playground is being filled with dirt to plant a tree. I'm just playing contrarian, so no need to debate this! :P

How much dirt is in a hole that is 8ft deep and 24inces in diameter

In order to measure something we should a unit ... distance in metres, feet, etc.

But dirt doesn't have a unit ...

I like puzzles like this it's all in the wording, NO Dirt IN a whole. although if you wanted to get technical you could say that the dirt in the whole is the volume of the circumference of dirt to the point where the dirt changes to the rock underneath think geological layers of the planet type of thing. basically a dirt hole is not as deep as is dug but the depth of the dirt to rock minus the depth of the hole dug

Once a hole is made, forever a hole it remains.

It may only ever be, from then on, a hole, or a filled hole, but still a hole.

Forensics and archaeologists can determine where holes in the earth have been dug long after they have been filled. They are just filled holes.

Once a hole is made, forever a hole it remains.

It may only ever be, from then on, a hole, or a filled hole, but still a hole.

Forensics and archaeologists can determine where holes in the earth have been dug long after they have been filled. They are just filled holes.

The truth - the whole truth - and nothing but the truth

On the whole- I like it!

:P