BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Trapped

Question

There is a room with no window's, doors, or any sort of opening, the walls are solid steel 10 feet thick, and you are trapped inside, left only with a saw and a table.

How do you escape? :huh: :huh:

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"How many sides does a sheet of paper have?"

There are really two valid answers, but each makes a statement about your perception.

If you say 2 sides, you have a fairly 2 dimensional view of the world.

If you say six sides, then you have a more three dimensional view of the world.

Of course, after hearing the puzzle, most people will answer 6 sides to any future inquisition.

I have to admit that my initial answer was just two sides.

Anyway, the relevance here is whether you consider the floor and ceiling as options or just the walls.

If you have a three dimensional view of the world but are a little twisted,

[a] 1 - a face or

2 - a face and an edge.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...¶bius_strip.jpg

You guys this is not a logic puzzle. This is a play on words puzzle. you can think and think and the answer will be the same. admit you didn't get it and move on. you are still smart. I didn't get it either.

It was originally a mirror and a table, and I'll tell you the answer to that one.

You look in the mirror and see what you saw. You take the saw and cut the table in half. Two halves make a whole. You escape through the hole and yell yourself hoarse. You get on the horse and ride away!

See how easy that was?

It was originally a mirror and a table, and I'll tell you the answer to that one.

You look in the mirror and see what you saw. You take the saw and cut the table in half. Two halves make a whole. You escape through the hole and yell yourself hoarse. You get on the horse and ride away!

See how easy that was?

Umm... That's nice except for one small flaw...

You're in a room with no windows/doors/openings of any kind, and no light source. How are you supposed to see anything?

yay! once you get u find urself outside of the room; but you have no animal to get home....what do u do?

Shout until my voice is hoarse(horse)then ride home.

Oops...didn't see there was more than one page lol.

Edited by Redsnake

I have a quick question... If there are no openings of any kind and no way out, how was there a way in in the first place? I don't see how you can get locked in a room you can't get inside...

It started out as just a slab of steel. The man feel asleep for a few years and when he woke up, he was trapped in the steel room.

To get out, he either started a fire with the table and saw and killed himself and went to hell.. ( Escaped )

Or he didnt use the saw and table at all, starved to death, and went to heaven.

I like comperr's solution and subsequent puzzles. I just took my approach due to another puzzle I have encountered. "How many sides does a sheet of paper have?"

While exceptionally flat, a paper is just a rectangular prism - it has 8 sides, 6 faces and 8 vertices

Easy.... All you have to do is sit back, relax, and just imagine yourself being outside of the house!!!! <_<

Edited by MommyRose13

I'm trying to make one up here this is the best i can do...

you are in a room with only a door, the wall opposite the door is thin, you can't hear if there's anyone in the next room or not, you need a means of finding out, there are no items apart from the door, what do you do?

<_< i know it aint great but best i can do :(

u open the door until it's ajar/a jar and put the jar to the thin wall and listen through the jar.

Edited by alexinsanio

comperr: I am truly stuck on that one I can't think because there are so many possibitilties

but I suppose you could always click your heels three times and say, "There's no place like home", "There's no place like home", "There's no place like home".

Riddari: The cieling is too high for you to reach with the table, and try cutting through a steel floor with the ground underneeth it.

yay! once you get u find urself outside of the room; but you have no animal to get home....what do u do?

OH! I know. :lol: SCREAM AND SCREAM AND SCREAM! Then your voice will get hoarse (horse). Hop on the horse and go around in circles until youve rode (road) for a while. Follow the road with your horse and get home! (does that pass? :) )

See how easy that was?

I thought it was like this: you ONLY have a table, and you hit you head on the table. then it becomes *sore*(saw). Cut the table in half with saw and etc. etc.

the "sound-bomb-produced-by-your-own-voice" theory could NEVER work because, your body itself would act as a dampener for the sound waves while you were there in the room screaming your lungs out, even if they were sound-reflecting walls not sound-absorbing walls.

think of it this way, if you were in a room made entirely of mirrors, could you make perpetual light if you flicked your bic just once?

well, no, if the light source were a flash light or similar light producing device ie: candle, match, blub that was used inside the room, because of the same principle i used with sound waves.

the light produced would be instantaneously absorbed by the point of production and your body, but if you were to make a 5-sided box (room) and shine a light into it from outside the box while affixing the 6th side (wall), would the light remain in the box or be negated by its own wave action?

i wonder.

Edited by omgcmon

There is a room with no window's, doors, or any sort of opening, the walls are solid steel 10 feet thick, and you are trapped inside, left only with a saw and a table.

How do you escape? :huh: :huh:

if there r no openings, then how did the man enter in2 d room. so a vague question

You are a cat in a sealed box shielded against quantum decoherence with a vial of poison and a hammer rigged to a geiger counter that will break the poison if it detects radiation. you wish to get out and kill the man named Schrodinger...

There's a longer answer, just extended and a little bit more awesome to the original riddle ;) and you don't even need the original saw. :D

Rub your hands on the wall until they're sore, use the saw to cut the table in half, two halves make a whole, crawl out through the hole, shout yourself hoarse, jump on the horse and ride away.

:D