BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Tree

Question

There is a tomato tree and you want to get to it. But there is a river in your way. you cant go through the river because it is infested with aligators. There is no boat around. How do you get to the tree.

Most people say walk down the bank of the river until it ends the cross. That is not the answer

12 answers to this question

does the river ever freeze? though i guess if it was winter, tomatoes wouldnt be growing.

you could get dropped off by a helicopter. or tunnel under.

i dont even like tomatoes!

You cant go over the river because tomatoes dont grow on trees

Tomatoes don't grow on trees as they are fruits

You are right about the first part of your sentence, but the reasoning is completely false. Fruits don't grow on trees?

how about apples, oranges and figs?

This puzzle is slightly weird as it does not restrict the answer space. No statements like: you cant bring anything not already talked about, or you cant bring in random things. This means there can be infinite solutions (unless I am missing something).

Choppers and tunnels would work like unreality suggested,

comperr's poison and self-built-boat would work,

my brand new bazooka, and my flying super abilities would work,

for heavens sake, I could pick up an alligator egg, tame the kid and use him to get across..

Maybe we are looking for the most elegant solution then?

if you were to be anywhere near the river wouldnt the alligators come after you? how wide is this river anyway? you could ask someone on the other side of the bridge to throw some tomatoes over to you....or you could buy them from the shop.

Since when do Tomatoes grow on trees?

Tomatoes don't grow on trees and they are fruits

However I would go ahead and build my own boat; or fill the lake with alligator poison

You are right about the first part of your sentence, but the reasoning is completely false. Fruits don't grow on trees?

how about apples, oranges and figs?

This puzzle is slightly weird as it does not restrict the answer space. No statements like: you cant bring anything not already talked about, or you cant bring in random things. This means there can be infinite solutions (unless I am missing something).

Choppers and tunnels would work like unreality suggested,

comperr's poison and self-built-boat would work,

my brand new bazooka, and my flying super abilities would work,

for heavens sake, I could pick up an alligator egg, tame the kid and use him to get across..

Maybe we are looking for the most elegant solution then?

Fact is tomatoes do grow on trees - sometimes http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/tree_tomato.html

if you were to be anywhere near the river wouldnt the alligators come after you? how wide is this river anyway? you could ask someone on the other side of the bridge to throw some tomatoes over to you....or you could buy them from the shop.

Another fact, alligators are normally rather timid creatures unless cornered, feel threatened by you, or females with young alligators. I have been in swimming in lakes with alligators in Florida, USA, though I avoided the areas where they congregated. Now if the river were infested with crocodiles, that would be quite different. Depth and width of the river would be nice to know. If it is a river, then it would be too wide to jump but might be able to poll vault over it.