BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Dying Cows

Question

All but 9 what? If you mean all but 9 cows die. Clearly, he has 8 cows alive.

This is like a kiddy math problem

If all BUT 9 die than he has 9 alive. not 8

kiddy? hehehe

maybe you should go back to kiddy school then

If all but 9 die that means there are 9 left. You may have read through the problem too fast. Look at it again.

I admit I have have been wrong about these things before, but since the person posing the question did not specify if the cows had to be alive or not, I think that there are two correct answers to this particular question. Vanango's answer is valid and so is the more obvious answer, 9.

17. Look at the tenses of the verbs. A farmer has 17 cows, all but 9 die, how many did he have left? The question takes place before the action of the cows dying, so he had 17.

Hell, if you continue further down the line, he could have as many cows as he wanted in the past. The question only tells us he has 17 now.

If a farmer has 17 cows, and all but nine die, then he would have eight left. I am still trying to figure out how some people came out with nine cows are alive. 17-9=8, there is no nine included. :D

O i love smart people. Read the problem. All but nine die. That is the essential word in this phrase. Those nine did not die, and that means he has nine left.

As for having 17 because the porblem asks for what "did he have" the last word in the phrase is "left." Grammer and syntax are essential to the English language, you can't omit certain words to suit your needs.

If a farmer has 17 cows, and all but nine die, then he would have eight left. I am still trying to figure out how some people came out with nine cows are alive. 17-9=8, there is no nine included. :D

If you have 17 euros and spend all. How many do you have left?

If you have 17 dollars and spend all but 2, how many euros do you have left?

There is a similarity to both these last two questions

O i love smart people. Read the problem. All but nine die. That is the essential word in this phrase. Those nine did not die, and that means he has nine left.

As for having 17 because the porblem asks for what "did he have" the last word in the phrase is "left." Grammer and syntax are essential to the English language, you can't omit certain words to suit your needs.

Spelling is'nt essential then? :)

17 cows.

a cow is a cow, dead or alive.

Some times you have to think outside the box like vanango did here. He's got it right. The problem simply stated that the cows died not that the farmer had disposed of them yet!

Edited by tahoe rich