BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pears

rookie1ja

Pears - Back to the Logic Puzzles

There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground. How come?

Pears - solution

At first, there were 2 pears on the tree. After the wind blew, one pear fell on the ground. So there where no pears on the tree and there were no pears on the ground.

Another possible solutions: The wind blew so hard that the pears fell of the tree and blew along the ground into the water or hovering in the air in a tornado.

it's obvious - the owner of the garden, and the trees, was watching the weather chanel, saw the heavy winds approaching, some miles away, and while the strong wind blew, he went outside, and picked all the pears (number completely irrelevant), and took them inside, so they wouldn't get blown off the tree, damaged, etc. The strong wind blew for a while longer, maybe going over the garden, maybe not, then afterwards there are no pears on the tree, or on the ground.

that's how come!

ETA - oops yeah sorry, what logicalist said!

Edited by JonR

• 2 weeks later...

... text deleted ... its winter, there is nothing on trees in winter and there are storms, and animals harvest all food on the ground in the winter for hibernation.

Respect for your fellow Denizens is a condition for continuing membership here.

Try to make your comments positive and collegial. ;)

- bn

Edited by bonanova
inappropriate comment

I know is an old one and I haven't read anyone elses posts yet but my guess is; its on a hill.

exactly! Pears fall on the ground and simply rolled down the hill. In that case number of pears is irrelevant.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps when the pears are ripe enough to eat, the stems let loose, whereby allowing them to fall. But being ripe enough means they are fair game for a pie or a tasty jelly. mmm. you guys think to much.

Pears - Back to the Logic Puzzles

There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground. How come?

Pears - solution

At first, there were 2 pears on the tree. After the wind blew, one pear fell on the ground. So there where no pears on the tree and there were no pears on the ground.

Another possible solutions: The wind blew so hard that the pears fell of the tree and blew along the ground into the water or hovering in the air in a tornado.

Sorry to say, can it be called a logic puzzle ?

• 3 weeks later...

No pears on the ground and none on the tree after a wind. If the wind was strong enough to blow the pears off the tree then it also blew the leaves. Hence underneath the tree was covered with leaves and the pairs fell on the leaves.They did not touch the ground. mckiert

• 2 weeks later...

This one is so simple! On a cherry tree there are cherries. On a mango tree there are mangos. And on a pear tree there are pears, no bananas, no apples, no oranges! There were no pears on the tree before the wind came. It says nothing about pears actual being on the tree! :D

I am amazed at the answers given here!!!

The trees are in the garden. The wind blew off the pears and they landed in the garden, not the ground.

Answer: The pears are in the garden.

• 2 weeks later...

some thing caught the pears from when they fell off of the tree so logically, the pears would now be on neither the tree or the ground.

My other solution is that the pears are on one of the other trees in the first place (refering to your "few trees in a garden" fact) the wind blew the wrong tree, therefore not touching the tree containing the pears

send a reply to correct or incorrect these solutions please

hope im right :P

baird2509

P.S. Good riddle, i enjoyed coming up with two solutions lol

After the wind blew the pairs were falling off the tree and were, at that point in time, neither on the ground or in the tree.

Edited by programmerdon

• 7 months later...

Maybe the pear tree was on another tree as indicated in one of the lines "On one there is a pear tree" thus when the wind blew the tree fell down but all the pears stayed on the pear tree

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

the pears were all picked up (it doesnt't say how far (after the wind blew) the person observed that there were no pears left on the ground!!

Cheeky ridle though :)

One tree knocked the other down since they were a pair the wind carried them away or possibly there were no trees because there is no ground for them to grow in .

• 1 year later...

I believe the riddle says "There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground. How come?"

There were no "pairs" mentioned. My answer is...

Statement : There are few trees in the garden. One of them a pear tree ,there are pears (quite logical). - The statement "there are pears (quite logical)" ,means that there are more than 1 pear tree in the garden.

Statement: "But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground.". - the "pear" being referred in the statement now refers to the pear fruit that the pear trees bear. remember the statement says "neither pears ON THE TREE NOR ON THE GROUND".

Statement. How Come? I believe "Having fallen on the ground" , "being blown by the wind" are far too shallow answers to the riddle.

ANSWER: There were only trees but the trees do not have fruits that time. It may not be the season of pear thus, no PEAR FRUITS fell. There were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground because after all, the trees are not bearing fruit."

And that I believe is the trick to the question and the most probable answer :)

I do understand the riddle, yet I understand fosley's objection.

As the riddle is written, in the phrasing of the statement "..., there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground", due to the implication of the subjects being combined for both conjunctions neither-nor, the statement can mean neither pears on the tree nor pears on the ground or it can mean neither pear on the tree nor pear on the ground. In order for to riddle to exclude the singular subjects for neither and nor, the phrasing would have been more proper to leave no implication in the subject for the neither-nor conjunctions. "..., there were neither pears on the tree nor pears on the ground".

Nonetheless, the meaning of the conjunctions neither-nor is 'not in either case', which may further be defined as 'not even one'. So even though the plural pears is used, the riddle should be interpreted as there was 'not even one' pear on the tree and 'not even one' pear on the ground. Of course, understanding it is a riddle, one can guess that the riddler is trying to convey that pear is not pears, which is true. And yet, though pears (0 or more) is not a subset of pear (one), pear (one) is a subset of pears (0 or more), which is another reason why the riddle fails as a good logic puzzle.