BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pears

rookie1ja

I'm going to say that someone came along a picked them. It only says that a wind blew, it doesn't say that it blew any off the tree or that it didn't. It just blew. So someone could have removed them from the tree. The wind part is just to confuse you.

it makes perfect sense, theres nothin wrong wit it...the statement is "there are A FEW trees, and ONE pear tree" so the pears simpy blew into another tree

Maybe I am thinking too laterally here...The pears are gone because they were carried off and eaten by racoons, skunks etc. Also, since there is no time constraints placed in the puzzle, they could have been picked up and consumed by humans, or broken down into their constituent components and returned to the earth before the next pears grew on the tree. However, I do get your play on the word pair "pear & pair"...

I propose a simple solution that is not a play on words.

The riddle stated there were multiple trees in the yard.

Due to the "strong wind", the pairs have been blown from the pear tree into another tree!

Edited by HojPoj

• 2 weeks later...
Alright, let me take a crack at it guys.....

The confusing part about this riddle is the word Pear. As you can see above there has been some talk about its ability to be placed FAIRLY in text. Reason being, it is more a PLAY ON WORDS then it is a riddle.

Example = You have a "pear" that you eat. FRUIT...

Example2= You have a "Pair" of socks. PLURAL...

The question states that there are PEARS on the tree, but once the wind came there were no longer PEARS on the tree OR on the ground... HOW COME???

Problem with the question is, if you typed it properly, THERE WOULD BE NO QUESTION. So you HAVE to trick the reader in order for it to HAVE THE PROPER EFFECT. Problem with that is "If this is a Problem Solving Forum, you need to give an Accurate Problem" This riddle is IMPOSSIBLE to TYPE, It must be Spoken in order to work. Other wise the question would be as follows:

There are a Pair of Pears on a Pear tree...lol After a wind blew, there were No Longer a Pair of Pears on the tree... WHY? Of coarse the answer would be: BECAUSE ONLY ONE FELL OFF, LEAVING ONE PEAR ONE THE TREE, AND ONE PAIR ON THE GROUND, ELIMINATING ANY PAIRS OF ANYTHING, ANYWHERE.....

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what to tell ya....

-= Veracity =-

AHHH it all seems so clear now!!! Haha, no wonder i ddint get it... Ta :]

I think you guys have all posted some interesting answers; I especially like the idea that if one of 2 pears blows off, there are neither pearS (plural) on the ground, nor in the tree. It could actually be an issue of tense, though: "There ARE pears... But after a strong wind BLEW, there WERE neither pears on the tree nor on the ground." Clearly having pears now does not dictate that you had pears before, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Pears - Back to the Logic Puzzles

There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground. How come?

Pears - solution

At first, there were 2 pears on the tree. After the wind blew, one pear fell on the ground. So there where no pears on the tree and there were no pears on the ground.

Another possible solutions: The wind blew so hard that the pears fell of the tree and blew along the ground into the water or hovering in the air in a tornado.

I'm sorry, but wouldn't it just be easier to say that the person who wrote this is right. Give the guy a break.

Edited by cheekymonkey

I think it is pretty simple. The Farmer is under the tree while making sure the livestock was ok (making it logical if any one decides to ask why he was in the windstorm) & saw the pears falling and caught them in his arms and took them inside his house

My answer is: the wind was so strong that it blew the entire tree away, and the pears with it.

That's what I thought. But I like the 2 pears to begin with and one in the tree and one on the ground after the storm.

I think this would be better if it was worded differently.

"There are a few trees in a garden, one of them being a pear tree. After a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground.

How come?"

The answer would be obviously "because there was no pears on it to begin with"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Pears - Back to the Logic Puzzles

There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground. How come?

Pears - solution

At first, there were 2 pears on the tree. After the wind blew, one pear fell on the ground. So there where no pears on the tree and there were no pears on the ground.

Another possible solutions: The wind blew so hard that the pears fell of the tree and blew along the ground into the water or hovering in the air in a tornado.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My original thought was that the tree was in the middle of a pond or lake in the garden, therefore when the wind blew the pears off the tree they went in the water and not be on the tree or the ground. After reading ten pages of possible solutions and the whole pear/pair debate, I do feel that the 1 pear on the tree and 1 on the ground answer is compelling, although my interpretation of the English language would tell me that 'niether pears on the tree or on the ground' would be absolutely NO pears, not even one. If I said to someone that there are no pears on a tree I would be there are zero pears on a tree not that there is one pear on a tree as if that was the case I would say, there is one pear on the tree. But I guess it wouldn't be a riddle if the language wasn't used to trick you into assuming things instead of taking it literally.

Ok.....I think I got it. First, there were two pears(a pair), then after the wind, 1 fell to the ground and 1 still in tree. So there is no pears in tree because it is a pear, not pears, and it's the same on the ground.

I love tricky teasers like this; it forces you to think outside the box. Thanks.

Edited by MindBlown

Two possible options:

Option One:

The wind blew the pears down and the farmers came and picked them up to do as they pleased with them

Options Two:

The strong wind was a hurricane blowing the tree to bits, therfore the pears all the way into the Pacific