BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Sack

rookie1ja

This on is actually really easy,

First off they would never trade sacks, why would an inkeeper want to trade what would be most likely a decent sack for the poor old farmers. anyways that said....

when the farmer originaly put the peas and lentils inside the sack he tide it off Horizontally,

all you have to do is put the inkeepers on the table sideways and poor the lentils into his sack, bind it off so that the bag is seperated vertically, and then poor the peas into the other side, and poor the lentils back

SMART..........

• 2 weeks later...

For reasons stated previously in this thread, the provided solution in the solutions list DOES NOT WORK! The only solution is to cut the hole in the bottom of the farmers sack and as that was not prohibited in the riddle, it must be the solution.

For reasons stated previously in this thread, the provided solution in the solutions list DOES NOT WORK! The only solution is to cut the hole in the bottom of the farmers sack and as that was not prohibited in the riddle, it must be the solution.

what, in particular, are the reasons why my solution does not work?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, people are having a really hard time understanding that the poor farmer wants to KEEP HIS SACK! Therefore no cutting is allowed.

What I would do if I ever repeated this puzzle is to explain in its telling that the innkeepers bag is big enough to hold all of the products with much room to spare.

That being said, I like a previous poster's comment that the lentils can be put in the innkeepers sack and simply twisted to bind it, that way if the farmer is careful, he can turn the sack inside out, poor in the peas and give the innkeepers sack a good shake to pour the lentils back into his own sack. No need to "devalue" the peas by sticking his grubby hands in there loosening the safely bound lentils.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

cut both ends of sack open the twist tie one end shut, pour peas in. twist bag after the peas then pour lentils twist tie bag at top. give inn keeper the peas by untying bottom of bag while holding twisted middle then just flip so you don't loose the lentils.

• 1 month later...
I would bind the top of part of my sack (holding the lentils), then flip the sack over and cut open the bottom. Then I'd pour the peas into the innkeeper's sack.

I totally agree. That is what i first think of doing. I mean, who wants to tie, flip, blah blah blah. just tie it and rip the dang thing open! yay laziness! :D

• 2 weeks later...
or the easier way would just to unbind the part of the sack the had the lentils and pour them into the innkeepers sack. then trade sacks, and your done. the first solution is too confusing and complicated i think. also the peas never leave the bag so its impossible for them to be devalued since they are still in original packaging.

Ok,man.Read carefully the riddle again.

YOU CANT TRADE SACKS!!!

• 1 month later...
I would bind the top of part of my sack (holding the lentils), then flip the sack over and cut open the bottom. Then I'd pour the peas into the innkeeper's sack.

That was my theory too.

Sack - Back to the Logic Puzzles

A poor farmer went to a market to sell some peas and lentils, however as he had only one sack and didn't want to mix peas and lentils, he poured in the peas at first, bound the sack up and than poured in the lentils. At the market a rich innkeeper wanted to buy the peas, but he did not want the lentils.

How would you solve this problem if you had only the sack of the innkeeper, which he wants to keep (without devaluing the goods).

Edit: Pouring the goods anywhere else than in sacks (eg. on the ground, table etc.) is considered as devaluing. Trading sacks is not allowed.

Sack - solution

Pour the lentils into the innkeeper’s sack, bind it and turn inside out. Pour in the peas. Then unbind the sack a pour the lentils back to your sack.

How do you unbind the sack if the binding is now covered with peas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I see- clever, like a bowl within a bowl.

I was thinking grab another trader and pour the lentils in their sack, pour the rich man his beans and then either swap sacks with him or pour back into the farmers.

See i was thinking along the lines of; sell your lentils first. But apparently the simplest answer isnt necaserilly the right one with this sort of thing!

One can have some variation to the answer but logic is the same.

Pour lentil into buyer sack. Turn the sellers sack inside out . pour lentil back to seller's sackand tie up the sellers sack . Now untie the peas and pour into the buyer's sack. Only difference is buyer's sack is not turned inside out but sellers sack is.

• 1 month later...
Sack - Back to the Logic Puzzles

A poor farmer went to a market to sell some peas and lentils, however as he had only one sack and didn't want to mix peas and lentils, he poured in the peas at first, bound the sack up and than poured in the lentils. At the market a rich innkeeper wanted to buy the peas, but he did not want the lentils.

How would you solve this problem if you had only the sack of the innkeeper, which he wants to keep (without devaluing the goods).

Edit: Pouring the goods anywhere else than in sacks (eg. on the ground, table etc.) is considered as devaluing. Trading sacks is not allowed.

Sack - solution

Pour the lentils into the innkeeper’s sack, bind it and turn inside out. Pour in the peas. Then unbind the sack a pour the lentils back to your sack.

I would pour the lentils in the shopkeepers sack, then bind my sack at top.

Next, turn my sack over and create a 'bowl' for the lentils to be poured back into.

Place the empty shopkeepers sack under mine and unbind-releasing all the peas in to his sack.

Now my sack can be inverted to hold my lentils.

Same as the solution given-except, this way the shopkeepers sack is not inside out, only mine is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...