BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

School days

Question

Three friends Tom, Dick and Harry, set out for school at 8.00am on a Monday morning.

Tom Walks to scholl at a steady pace of 2 Miles per hour

Dick Cycles to schoolat a steady pace of 15 Kilometers per hour

Harry's mum drives him to school sticking to the speed limits of 30 MPH in town areas and 60 MPH in open areas

They all arrive at school at 8.45am

Who's journey took the longest?

21 answers to this question

longest in distance?

or longest in time?

They all started @ 8:00 am

and reached school @ 8:45 am

they all took 45 minutes for the journey.

They traveled varying distances, however, in proportion to their speeds

Harry travels more than Dick travels more than Tom

R

All of them took 45 minutes to get there

They traveled in ranging distances, however, in proportion to their speeds

Harry traveled more than Dick. Dick traveled more than Tom

So it was Harry right?

Well it says who's journey took the longest. I wouldn't be so quick to remove Harry's mum from the equation who had to go to the school and back. Maybe even stopped at grocery store or something.

ALL SAME still almost makes you doubt yourself, must remind myself "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", or "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity" otherwise the KISS rule of thumb KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID thank my college chem teacher for that one with with his daisy and tilly.

I think it was Harry who had the longest distance.

Maybe Tom lives closer to school so he walked slowly.

Dick might have been a 1 mile away from Tom's house

The answer must have been Harry because he is taken to school in a car.

May I be right or wrong?

Wrong

Three friends Tom, Dick and Harry, set out for school at 8.00am on a Monday morning.

Harry's mum drives him to school sticking to the speed limits of 30 MPH in town areas and 60 MPH in open areas

Tom's distance was the greatest, and it took him longest to get there, since he walked to scholl, which is actually miles away from the school. He had to run back home and start over again. He left on a Monday, but is was the previous Monday to when Dick and Harry left, and he arrived at 8:45 on Wednesday. Dick cycled to schoolat, but schoolat is right next door to the school. it took him only a few seconds to make the correction, and he arrived at school on time.

Harry's Mum isn't part of the question, it's just the 3 school kids

Where does it say that Harry's mom is not included? I think this is by far the best answer.

Tom Travelled for 2.4 KMs

Dick travelled for 11.25 KMs

Harry should have travelled for 54 KMs.

HOW?

Tom:

2 miles= 3.218688 KMs

3.218688/60*45= 2.4

Dick:

15/60*45=11.25

Harry:

30+60=90 Miles

Average: 90/2=45 Miles= 72.42048 Kms

72.42048/60*45=54 KM

Therefore, Harry travelled on the longest distance

:D

Tom's distance was the greatest, and it took him longest to get there, since he walked to scholl, which is actually miles away from the school. He had to run back home and start over again. He left on a Monday, but is was the previous Monday to when Dick and Harry left, and he arrived at 8:45 on Wednesday. Dick cycled to schoolat, but schoolat is right next door to the school. it took him only a few seconds to make the correction, and he arrived at school on time.

scathing and inappropriate in an international forum, but funny nonetheless. ;)

Tom Travelled for 2.4 KMs

Dick travelled for 11.25 KMs

Harry should have travelled for 54 KMs.

HOW?

Tom:

2 miles= 3.218688 KMs

3.218688/60*45= 2.4

Dick:

15/60*45=11.25

Harry:

30+60=90 Miles

Average: 90/2=45 Miles= 72.42048 Kms

72.42048/60*45=54 KM

Therefore, Harry travelled on the longest distance

:D

You'd think but no his mum travled the most becuase she dropped him off and then went home or even to work unless she worked at the school then it would be harry because he would have to go to all his classes right or wait maybe he is in elementry but he would have recess right wait but his mom would have to go to lunch unless she eats there but then they travled the same but but but AUGHHH!!!

Harry's way did, because, well he was the fastest but all arived the same time

Well, wouldn't it be that there hourneys were amount because the all arived at school at the same time? :o

I think that you should have worded this differently. I read this, and I became confused, as you practically gave the answer away in the question. I may not be so caught up, though, as I did not read the second page. And what happened to the tradition of concealing anwers

IN SPOILERS!

All three reached the school on the same time. But in the puzzle their starting point is not given. So the starting point of each individual may be different, and therefore distance covered by each individual may also be different.

The distance covered by an individual will depend on the speed by which he traveled, and since Harry's mom drove him with the highest speed so the distance traveled by him is the longest one, among the three individuals.

But in terms of time journey of all the three was same i.e. 45Minutes.