BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

There's an island in the middle of a deep lake.

The lake is 80 yards in diameter, and on the the island is a tree.

A non-swimmer wishes to get across to the island,

but all he has is a length of rope, 300 yards long.

There is also a large tree on the mainland.

How does he get across?

Stay within the boundaries of the OP.

No Navy Seals, no helicopters. You get the idea.

Good luck. :huh:

20 answers to this question

Or if he/she was a cowboy/cowgirl (a very, very good one) he/she could throw the rope to the island and swing it around the tree on the island then tie the other end to the other tree and hang on the rope and use it to guide there way to the island

catapult
the rope could be made into a net to hurl him across.

I seriously doubt he would be in one piece when he lands on the island ; and again the distance he has to travel must be kept in mind and the OP clearly states that there is only one tree on the mainland , so how can a catapult be formed? :)

I seriously doubt he would be in one piece when he lands on the island ; and again the distance he has to travel must be kept in mind and the OP clearly states that there is only one tree on the mainland , so how can a catapult be formed? :) He would have to judge the distance very carefully and land in the tree then slide down. I do it all the time.

There's an island in the middle of a deep lake.

The lake is 80 yards in diameter, and on the the island is a tree.

A non-swimmer wishes to get across to the island,

but all he has is a length of rope, 300 yards long.

There is also a large tree on the mainland.

How does he get across?

Stay within the boundaries of the OP.

Why does he want to traverse /get across? Does this have anything to do with the blind islanders who are now sighted?

Crosses over the island or to the island?

He ties rope to mainland tree, walks around lake twice, looping/tie the rope round the island tree. He can then tie the end to the mainland tree and pull himself across, can't remember the name for the maneuver. Hold on with both hands and hook feet over and 'shimmy' along, he can make another couple of turns around the island should he wish to 'try' and cross standing on the bottom of the two.

Note to make them tight it will be better to use a branch to twist a loop in the rope near the end, like a tourniquet

Well that's they way I'd do it!

Edited by Lost in space

Tie one end of the rope to the big tree, walk around the lake, and pull it tight so you have a doubled line you can use to get out to the island.

*Edit: LIS beat me to it. Good job. :D

Edited by Duh Puck

Sea Turtles in a lake?

You should read more carefully. The OP stated very clearly that it is a deep lake. There are undoubtedly underwater aquifers that the sea turtles can use to get to and from the lake, which is where they like to relax during holidays.

I think I got. but you never know :D

He should tie one end of rope to the tree on mainland. I guess it should not use more than 2-3 yards of rope.

Then holding the rope he should go around the lake. When he makes a complete round the rope will be around the tree. Now he can stretch the rope and tie the other and to the tree as well.

Now with the help of rope he can go to the island.

For surety he can make more rounds around the island :lol:

You should read more carefully. The OP stated very clearly that it is a deep lake. There are undoubtedly underwater aquifers that the sea turtles can use to get to and from the lake, which is where they like to relax during holidays.

Good point - Lets hope they have there sun glasses and enjoy the new diet and have laid their eggs, also that the hatchlings have made it out to the ocean. then hey deserve a break

Just had a thought, will they drown due to less buoyancy in freshwater?

Injury is fine if pursuing dangerous sports there is help for them. Alas deep-water drowning does not appear to be easily remedied.

Notice that sunburn is not covered on their holiday insurance however repatriation is!

Tie one end of the rope about two or three feet above the ground to the tree (dependent on your arm length). (make sure it is tight.) Take a nice walk around the lake holding onto the rope... Go around two times so the rope gets wrapped around the island tree (try to get it approximately the same hight off the ground as the mainland trees rope tie-off) ... Make sure the rope around the island tree is pulled tight for this to work. Once the rope is pulled taught, tie the other end of the rope to the mainland tree where the first end was tied off... Make sure the rope is secure because it will be the only thing there to keep you from drowning. Once you are positive it won't come loose, get into th water (after you have removed anything you don't want wet, and leave on the shore so you have dry clothes when you return). Hold onto the rope (which is approximately arms length above your head), and use it to pull yourself across the lake, (and to keep your head above the water). Once on the island, you can relax in the sun and think about taking some swimming lessons... ;)

Hey, I answered it right... yay! I checked the answers after I answered... I feel special! *hehehe* I do however think the sea turtles would feel being tied together and ridden would be a slightly annoying way to spend their vacation... but if it worked for 'Captain' Jack Sparrow, then it must be ok... Have fun! :)