BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

That doesn't matter. There also aren't liars that are incapable of telling the truth or truthtellers that are incapable of lying. Hypothetical situaations don't make riddles not valuable as brain teasers.

I guess you are correct. But if you are, than almost all of these questions are unasnwerable - They are all paradoxes (Since they are, what is the point?)

sajow4 wrote:

4. Saying that there is such a thing as time travel, the second the girl went into the past and killed her grandmother, she, her mother, her grandmother, and any blood relation would "disappear".

If she killed her grandmother before giving birth to her mother, how could she exist?

If you could go back in time, hypothetically, and the moment she killed her grandmother, she, her mother/father, and her grandmother would cease to exist. Not looking ahead, just then and there, they would all die.

This is what my brother said: Say she went back in time. Let's say she went back in time, to, say, her grandmother's birthday party. Her grandmother, parents, and she were all there at that time. Right now, there are 2 of her. If she killed her grandmother then, Her past and present grandmother would die, her past and present father would not exist, and her PAST self would not exist - She, herself, the one that killed her grandmother, would still exist. There are 2 of herselfs, and she only killed 1. She herself is alive, but her grandmother is not.

Correct?

sajow4 wrote:

5. This one is nonsense. If it were 0 degrees, no weatherman in his right mind would say that it would be twice as cold tomorrow, as 0 times 2 is 0.

You misunderstand what it means to be "twice as cold". When we say it's 0 degrees out, we're speaking in terms of either farenheit or celcius. If it is 0 degrees C outside and tomorrow it will be twice as cold, that means there will be half as much heat in the air and it will be -136.58 C

You are correct. I had been thinking twice as cold, not half the heat, that is why my answer was incorrect.

sajow4 wrote:

7. Nothing would happen. You are going the speed of the light your headlights are going, so it is like you have a car that goes 1 mile in one hour. Say you are racing the car, and you walk 1mph. Once both you and the car reached the mile-limit, you would be even. Once you "dropped out" of the speed of light, your headlights would come on.

This is another hypoithetical question as nothing can go the speed of light, but if it could, your answer is incorrect. The light from your headlights will go at the speed of light in your reference frame.

Alright. Say that you are going to be traveling 1 mile at the speed of light. It takes 2 seconds to go 1 mile at the speed of light (I know this is absolutely absurd, since the actual rate is much, much faster, but for the sake of this riddle and sparing all the mathematical complications, I will just say that it goes this fast hypothetically). If I've traveled 1 second in the speed of light, going .5 miles, than my headlights would be half on. Once I've reached 1 mile, after 2 seconds, my headlights would come on the moment I stopped. I am traveling as fast as my headlights are, so the headlights would be fully on the moment I "dropped out" of light speed.

sajow4 wrote:

8. This is absolutely impossible. There is nothing that God cannot do - And I pity you for thinking that there is.

The question did not say anyone thought there is something God cannot do. It said the opposite (God Almighty). You didn't answer the question.

Do you have any evidence that there is a god that can do anything? Faith is not evidence, btw.

I know I did not answer the question. I did not want to. Yes, I do have evidence - It is all around you. How do you think mankind came to be? The idea of evolution from a monkey to a man is just plainly absurd, to any reasonablly intelligent man. How did Coke come to be? If I told you that it had started to rain red water, and it fell on a rock, and slowly it formed the shape of a can, and mysterious brown liquid started forming in it, and that was how Coke came to be, you would call me absolutely insane, would you not? It is because you know that someone invented the popular soda - Although you most likely do not who. How do you know that there was/is a living breathing thing that invented it? Because trees cannot invent things. Things to not come to be by themselves - Correct? Just as pencils and computers and buildings are made from something living, not evolved, the same is with the earth. Someone had to creat the world - do you think that there was a "big bang" and the whole world came into existence - Complete with money and buildings and trees, etc.,? No, of course not. Someone had to create it - God.

That is my evidence, Scraff.

I will not even try to answer the question, even if it is hypothetical, because I do not care for it at all.

#7 - not sure but here's what I've been thinking....the vehicle is traveling at the speed of light right? which means the bulbs are traveling at the speed of light too...so when turned on, the light will start traveling at the speed of light "plus" the speed that it is already traveling which is "the speed of light"....so i'm thinking the headlights will work as normal?

No it will not double the speed just cuz it gets shot from bulbs going speed of light

The light is a separate entity once its 'released' from the bulb- the light and bulb travel at the same speed together, the light hardly leaving the bulb

normally it is this:

_ is the bulb, ~ is lightwaves

_

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the bulb is moving so slowly compared to light, we can say its not moving at all, just a porch light or something

but saying the bulb is moving at the speed of light as well (impossible cuz it has mass, but hey)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

however its actually like this if you wanna be REALLY specific:

_

~

then:

_

...~

_

.......~

as time passes- but the light moves so fast AND THE BULB IS CONTINUOUSLY emitting light it is like this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thus i believe the bulb would continually emit ligth as it went:

bulb and light, moving together:

_______

~~~~~

bulb with more light:

_________

~~~~~~~

...~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

..~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

....~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

......~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

etc as they both move, the bulb 'collecting' light around itself. So the bulb would get brighter and brighter- well if you could see it, that is. But sight is based off of light waves hitting your retinas, so lets not even go there.

Ok once and for all #4 if u went back in time u would destroy the universe or create a recurring loop in time.

Why you ask? Well if she killed her grandmother before she gave birth to her mom or pop then the girl would never have existed.

Well what if she just went back in time one day and killed her grandmother u might say?

Well if she went back in time with the intention of killing her grandmother and she did then what reason would her past self have for going back in time and killing her grandmother?

Ex. Grandma alive

Friday-Grandmother pisses u off

Saturday- u decide to kill ur grandmother

Sunday- u go back in time and kill your grandmother on friday

now ur was Grandma killed by ur future self so the days would go like this

Friday-Grandma dies

Saturday- U dont decide to kill ur grandmother

Sunday- u dont go back in time to kill ur grandmother so then u never did go back in time so now ur grandma is alive

see its impossible to happen with out destroying the universe.

Unless if you take into account a multiple universe theory.

I am certain this is the only way possible to time travel backwards (forwards = no dilemma)

when you go back in time, it branches off a new universe at the point in time where you went back to... there is no way to detect a universe branching, and no way to move between universes except to go back in time and create a new universe... as every time someone goes back, a new universe is created at that point in time, with the same past as its mother universe up to the point of the split. You could kill yourself in a branched off universe and your self in another universe would still be alive to go and kill yourself.

I am certain this is the only way possible to time travel backwards (forwards = no dilemma)

when you go back in time, it branches off a new universe at the point in time where you went back to... there is no way to detect a universe branching, and no way to move between universes except to go back in time and create a new universe... as every time someone goes back, a new universe is created at that point in time, with the same past as its mother universe up to the point of the split. You could kill yourself in a branched off universe and your self in another universe would still be alive to go and kill yourself.

That's true. Another theory is that the incident has happened in the past. For example, if you talk to someone while you are in the present, that person could recount you meeting them when you went back in time, if that makes sense. It is still one universe. If this was true, you could not have killed your grandmother. If you could kill her, she is not your grandmother.

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

[1] The bullet splits into two equally likely quantum states - one goes to the left, the other to the right. It re-joins behind the armor.

[2] The armor splits into two equally likely quantum states - one just to the left of the bullet, the other just to its right. The armor re-joins after the bullet passes.

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

No. In the life hereafter we do not have to breathe.

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

Let me get back to you on this one. But I will say that I'm thinking about it.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

[1] Since she blatantly ignored the Prime Directive, we should not even be talking about her.

[2] I just took a drive in my own WayBack Machine and deleted this question. No reply is needed.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

Double Zero. C'mon, gimme a challenge.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

I'm thinking to myself that someone should go back and read #3....

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

This is soooooo easy. I'll be able to see better.

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

It's like the song says, that we sang as children:

God can do anything, anything, anything,

God can do anything but fail.

He can save, He can keep, satisfy with joy complete,

God can do anything, but fail.

He's the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end,

He's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul ...

God can do anything, anything, anything.

God can do anything but fail.

Otherwise ... He wouldn't be Almighty.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

Assuming both are made of the same material, both will be destroyed.

No, he would breate in the water.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

We use Kelvin, cause its the SI unit for heat. It starts from 0 too, absolute zero. Farenheit cannot be used as it does not start from zero.

0 Degrees celcius is 273.15K, and twice as cold should be 136.575K, which is -136.575 Degrees celcius, impossible on earth.

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

I think the light should be trapped in the headlight. Thats why they call it 'speed of light' and make it a constant right? However, the car, having mass, will not travel faster than it due to special relativity: it will get heavier if energy was added.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

Wouldn't this tear a hole in the universe?

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

1.) The bullet will penetrate through the armor since, up until that point, nothing was KNOWN to be able to penetrate the armor.

2.) Yes - if what's required to attain eternal life is actually DRINKING from the fountain, not getting your lungs inundated in it. Similarly, if the fountain of eternal life is simply the colloquial name given to the fountain, then it does not necessarily posses the capability to grant eternal life.

3.) No I do not accept the mission. The mission in this case does not need to be self-referencing. There can be a second, unspecified mission which you choose to not accept.

4.) Parallel Universes, anyone? Or, the girl vanishes the instant she kills her grandmother?

5.) 1/2 of 0 degrees Celsius = 16 degrees Fahrenheit.

6.) Maybe

7.) A car would disintegrate going that fast, but otherwise, the light would never leave your light beams.

8.) Just because [God Almighty] can create something which he/she/it can not physically pick up, does not mean that he/she/it can not destroy or move it in some other ways (i.e. creating a beast strong enough to lift the rock on his/her/its behalf).

As for #8, all God has to do is create a rock and set a law that He will never pick it up, then he won't be able to because God cannot lie or go back on His word. Just like in the Bible when God promised to never wholly flood the whole earth again with thje symbol of the rainbow He literally cannot do that because He promised He wouldn't.

But this is pointless anyway because according to Matthew 4:7 "... it is written again that you should not tempt (challenge) the Lord your God.

You cannot kill your grandparents to negate your existence. You can try, but you will fail. That is because it has already happened. The mere fact of your existence irrefutably proves that your attempted homicide failed, for whatever reason.

That is, unless you go for the whole "Time travellers cause parallel universes to sprout like mushrooms after rain, and merely divert their own experienced timelife down the other leg of the trousers" theory.

As an aside, you can easily prove that controlled time travel is impossible. Repeat after me:

I, {Insert name}, do solemnly swear that on completion of my time traveling device I will travel back in time to {Insert time, date, location} with detailed instructions on how to build a time machine, and give them to younger self.

Did someone just pop out of thin air and hand you the keys to the TARDIS? No? Case closed.

OK... so here's how I see it:

For numbers 1, 2 and 8, there is technincally no answer for them, so I'm not going to bother.

3. The reader can complete their mission without even accepting it, so it doesn't matter anyways. It was a free choice to decide whether to accept the mission to begin with, so the only way they could fail is to accept the mission.

4. This is a classic paradox, which has a simple answer: If the time traveller travels back in time, it is impossible for them to perform any action which will alter the future, as by being in the past, the events have already occured. On this topic, this is why it will be impossible to travel back in time for at least a while, as we would know it is possible before we are actually able to do it.

5. The weather network is wrong half the time anyways, so it really doesn't matter how cold it will be. The temperature depends on the start of that sentence, so it really cannot be answered correctly.

6. You cannot truthfully answer, so you cannot answer at all.

7. OK, this is more of a physics question then a paradox. An ignorant person would say "the headlights would travel at twice the speeed of light," which is, of course, not possible due to the physics and behaviour of light. As well, space-time gets "messed up" around the speed of light, so there is really no answer for this at this time.

8. The classic paradox, there is no answer. The easiest way out is to say maybe, since with God you never know...

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour? both are impossible, the question is impractical. However, it is a unsolvable paradox. <3

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life? no

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept? I do not accept the mission. Therefore, it is completed.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born. String theory says this is possible because when she went to the past, she created another reality in which that grandmother is separate. If she returned to the future, however, It would still be the separate reality in which she does not exist. She'd be in a separate reality.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be? 0 degrees what? If Celsius or Fahrenheit, we'd all die tomorrow. If Kelvin, we stopped existing already.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no? The next word I hear will not be no.

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on? You can't go the speed of light, change it to mach, and honk your horn. The sound would travel along side you.

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)! Thus, God is disproven. <3

Number 1- Um... a huge explosion would occur, such as when matter and anti-matter collide? Sorry, I like making jokes. I can't honestly answer this question.

Number 2- This question can be interpretted in different ways. The way I see it, the fountain of eternal life only grants, as the name implies, eternal life- this does NOT mean you are immortal. If you were immortal, you would never be able to die, but since the fountain does not grant immortality, you would die as if you were a normal human without eternal life

Number 3- Touche (I hope that's spelled right, I'm meaning to use the French term relating to good point)

Number 4- Good ol' sci-fi. In this case, if she went back in time and killed her grandmother, she would not exist in the future. Since this is the case, she would not have existed to go back in time in the first place; she would wane from both times of existence altogether (after she killed her grandmother of course). So essentially, she did kill herself by killing her grandmother. I don't believe there is any of the "she killed her grandmother, so she does not exist in the future and therefore cannot go back in time to kill her grandmother, so she still exists in the future." I believe that time paradoxes are nonexistent.

Number 5- The temperature will not be zero. The reasoning behind this is this: say 0 degrees is the measurement in farenheit. This does not mean the temperature is truly zero; on the contrary, you must take into account the other temperature scales (Celsius and/or Kelvin). Since Celsius decreases by a rate of 9 degrees Celsius to every 5 degrees farenheit, the temperature would be non-zero. Therefore, you can easily calculate if the temperature the next day is twice as cold as the day before.

Number 6- Again, touche

Number 8- God did create the stone, so he could easily choose the spot on which to create it before the initial creation. However, once set, that stone would not be able to move since God Himself cannot move it. This is not a paradox.

Number 4 - you can't go back to a time where you have never been, or will never be and if you can "get" there you were supposed to be able to travel to the time because you are there. I know makes no sense. - Taken from Isaac Asimov's Short Story: BLANK!

God Bless Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

#1 is easy, they just cease to exist. If they could exist together, the second that that happened, they could no longer exist.

#2 Yes, he can. You can drown and still live.

#3 Love these ones

#4 We assume that time must change. Maybe the grandmother's and granddaughter's existance only works in every other time dimension? And you'd have to be a pretty mean granddaughter if you'd back in time and kill you grandmother. Maybe a new time dimension is created by this. She kills her grandmother, but time is not changed, she just lives on as is, and can go 'back to the future' where her grandmother is still alive. Maybe time will prevent it, when she is about to kill her grandmother, she just dies. Implodes, explodes. Most likely ceases to exist, though.

#5 The tempurature would be half-way between absolute zero and 0 degrees celsius. That's about 140 degrees celsius, which is pretty cold. I sure hope you don't have the same wheather man as I do... And it can't actually touch absolute zero, so it can always get twice as cold.

#6 What? Oh, 'no'. See? All you have to do is say a different word before your answer. <!-- s:) --><!-- s:) -->

#7 Me and my friend had a good discussion on this. Since it is going just as fast as you, it would build up in the headlights. If light takes up room, then eventually, it would spill out of the sides. If it didn't, however, you are going to make a few people blind at the other end. However, to continue the discussion, I remember a few laws on the speed of light. When you travel at the speed of light, your mass and size increase exponentially. The light in the headlight probably won't will it as fast as the car is expanding.

#8 He can do anything, anything, he wants. Simply to say, he creates a stone, and tells himself not to lift it, because he must win the challenge. Therefore, he cannot lift the stone. Besides, he's immortal, but that doesn't mean he can do everything.

I think this is a fairly simple solution and I think it answers the question adequately.

Yes. God creates a rock that extends infinitely in all three dimensions. In this situation, the rock cannot be moved because simply, there is nowhere to move the rock to. All space in the universe is encompassed in the rock, and therefore no matter what the reference frame is, or where you place the origin, it must be the center of the rock. No matter what you do to the rock, it's center is the origin, so therefore it cannot be moved. Q.E.D.

Yes

-2 degrees

mabey

you would turn to pure energy befor you got the chance LMAO

#1: the bullet will pierce halfway through the armour, though technically it would depend on what kind of gun you fired the bullet from

#2: obviously not, its the fountain of eternal life, to drown, you have to die.

#3: say yes, you failed, but you still accepted; say no, you succeeded a task you didnt want to do, and youve got way too much spare

time.

#4: once she kills her grandmother (who the **** would do that?!), her grandmother is DEAD, she wont be born, but her grandmother is

still DEAD.

#5: 0 degrees, the weatherman is an idiot, and the channel youre watching should not be trusted, nor should it be watched; i cant imagine

anyone watching such a terrible weather channel.

#6: you dont have to answer truthfully, they tell you to, but that doesnt mean that you have to; either answer you give wont actually

matter, youll just be lying (why would you listen to someone who asks you a question thats meant to be impossible to answer?!).

#7: a space shuttle gets off the earth with a rocket that doesnt even come close to kind of nearly approaching the halfway point of

almost reaching the speed of light. if you had a car that could travel to the speed of light, it would have blasted off of the surface of

the earth in a matter of seconds, and since there is no matter in space, your wheels would have nothing to grip on, and you would

start orbiting some other celestial body, since you can no longer move forward on nothing. anyways, what kind of idiot would make a

car that could travel at the speed of light and put HEADLIGHTS on it?!

#8: since there is no actual proof that god could create any object, he couldnt create that stone. (anyways, why would GOD attempt to

do something so absurd just because YOU asked it of him?!)

• Let's say there is a bullet which can shoot through any barrier. Let's also say there is an absolutely bullet-proof armor which no object can penetrate. What will happen if such a bullet hits such an armor?

- Someone's getting sued.

• Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

- It’s the Fountain of Eternal Youth. Kids die all the time. Though if there were an Eternal Life Fountain, it would depend on what fantasy rules we’re going by, a Fountain of Vampire-Highlander style eternity would be picky about what could kill you, whereas a Fountain of Zombie-Jesus-300 Eternal life would pretty much drown you as soon as possible.

• Your mission is not to accept the mission. Do you accept?

-No. So I win.

• A girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born, she never killed her grandmother.

-Time doesn’t exist as a state. If one were to “go back” one would not be in the “past” rather a re-creation of it. No matter how detailed, it is impossible to change the fact that now is yesterday. Now is tomorrow. Now is all there is. So if you could “go back” you could kill whoever you wanted. You already exist. Even if you killed yourself. Because you’ve already created a second “you” by “going back”, you can kill your second “you’s” whole family and you would still exist.

• If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be?

-64 degrees Fahrenheit. This riddle presupposes that we inherited our measurement system from a natural source. Math doesn’t apply to the American Standard Measurement System.

• Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be 'no'?

-No, the next word I say will probably be “dispatch” though the next word I typed was no.

• What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn the headlights on?

-The light actually sits in the car with you smoking a joint and tells stories about ‘Nam.

• I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up!

-Can God not take the form of a baby? Would a baby be able to pick up any stone? Therefore he limits himself in his infiniteness. 2. Who’s God? The Christian one never claimed to be able to do everything always, if he could, he wouldn’t have needed to create us. We would have always been too. To be a creator doesn’t imply absolute control. Another way of asking this question is “Let the Mom Almighty create a child, which she can not get to use the soap!” Ah ha, Moms can not exist!