BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

#2 I would say it depends on what is meant by eternal life. Does it mean you never age, or that your invincible. If you never age you can still drown. If your invincible it would depend on whether or not it takes affect before you drown.

#3 Missions are actions. If you accept the mission and do nothing, you accomplished the mission.

#6 Would nodding your head no get you off the hook?

#7 Ha. This could work with omniscients too. Does a being who is omniscient know a question that it cannot answer?

#3 If they are asking you to except the mission then you must not already have the mission. Once you accept it you find out that your mission is not to accept the mission so therefore you can quit the mission.

#4 I guess if the girl went back in time and killed her grandmother when she tries to go back to the time she was in before (if that is possible) than she would find herself not there and she would cease to exist.

#6 Say "Yes" and then "I mean no" because you are still answering truthfully because that's what you thought first and then realized that you were wrong.

For #4 you need to be specific:

"A girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born, she never killed her grandmother."

for true paradox should be:

"A girl goes into the past and kills the woman that would be her Grandmother. Since her would be Grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she were never born, she never killed her grandmother."

Reasoning:

In order to kill her grandmother the girl would have already had to have been born so that woman would be the grandmother

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

1. Let's say that the armor is 10 cm thick (or however thick it is). Since the bullet is capable of shooting through anything, when the bullet hits the armor it will penetrate 5 cm of that armor. The bullet still gets through half of the armor (true), and does not penetrate the armor at all (true).

2. Yes he can. But whether he dies or not is another problem.

3. No. There's no point in accepting a mission that is bound to fail from the start.

4. I agree with the previous posts. Go to the time when the girl was already born, and there should be no problem at all.

5. "Twice as cold" is rather subjective. Instead of measuring the temperature, maybe we can try this: if today I wear a coat, maybe tomorrow I should wear two coats.

6. "Yes" is false, "No" will confuse the asker.

7. I will travel together with the light from my headlights.

8. "God has the power to create anything. He also has the power to lift anything. Can he create something that he cannot lift?" this is a very nice paradox. If he is a God, then he is (supposed to be) able to create anything. He is also (supposed to be) capable of lifting anything. But if he is to create a stone that is supposed to be unliftable, yet he is capable of lifting it; that would neglect the fact that he can create anything out of his will.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

#7 it's totally impossible for an object with mass to travel at the speed of light, you can only come extremly close to it but never reach it.

I've got a better question: if you travel 99,999999...% of the speed of light and you turn your headlights on will you be able to see the speed of light in slowmotion slowly moving ahead of you, because you're almost traveling as fast towards the same direction?

I asked a smart guy, that I knew, and he said that the headlights light would leave you in the speed of light, no matter what speed you were traveling with in the same direction. How come this is possible, could someone pleace explain to me with simple words?

• 4 months later...

1. Both cannot be true at the same time..it is like saying the coin will land on heads and the coin will land on tails.

2. No, he would be present under that elixir forever...gulping it and getting life...but present inside it at the same time...and excreting it off at intervals(yes,that too needs to be taken into account!)...until he doesnt learn to swim in it(or come out of it) rather than just lying there.

4. She can kill her after her son(the girl's father) was born...in this case...everything stands satisfied. Before that, the premise is only wrong, that she goes in the past, because she couldnt have been born, and hence, the conclusions are irrelevant.

5. Heat can be measured...not coldness. So, we can say that tomorrow it would be half as hot as today, thus dividing the joules present in today's atmosphere by half.

6. Liar's paradox

8. Each of us can do that...stick mud on the ground by heaping it...the stuck mass can represent that stone which we wouldn't be able to lift at some point of time,we can keep checking at each point! ;) (I have tried to explain the method of making that stone...vaguely!) However, if one says Almighty is capable of lifting anything, then we stand at point no. 1...as both cannot be true at the same time.

Not a problem. God creates a pebble and then declares "I shall never pick it up". He is capable of lifting it, but can not break his promise. Conditions met.

But the conditions were not defined that this is his action, his action/ his verb (thats whats happening ^_^) is that he is unable, so he is capable of not being capable of lifting the stone which is in itself the "screwy-ness," of the paradox. If it said that god said he would not pick it up you would be 100% correct, but because his action is to not be capable of the other action, he is an entity by definition, so he as an individual is incapable. If he could it would mean he is capable of being impossible to his own rules. Which as god by definition would be possible, because he can do the impossible. So if god exists he should be capable of breaking the rule he set in place, by definition of being omnipotent. So I like to look at this one as god might not be who he says he is if he can't lift the rock. If he could he would be god... again paradox haha... :duh:

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

In my oppinion they would negate, almost like matter and anti-matter. One is an absolute, and so is the other one. Most times when this happens both things obliterate and at execedeling volitile levels if the theoretical physicists got it right on the stage of matter development. So realistically they would neglect to occur in our universe anymore not so much distroeyed but manuvered, for to break the laws of the universe one must not be of it a.k.a. godly action? or cross universal action? or both? or niether?

"If we could only have stood back and watch our universes creation, we would have never been a part of it, and the question wouldn't matter than anyway cause it was not your universe to ask about."

Are you allowed to take scuba gear? just kidding, but until someone figures out what the exact composition of eternal life is I'm worring about what its made of. It could be a pool of souls that doesn't interfere with breathing (don't know if they do or dont ps just guessing), but if it was water then no one couldn't cause water is the building block of your life, so if you die in it your molecules break into knew chemicals which form new bonds, which make new living things.. example algae or certain lichens that are literally created to break down chemical conditions in the oceans which would be more life so in his current form in water no, but living on yes cause his living material even if it would take some time would come back to a state of living. p.s. on earth :)

Well I guess i fail, hope that ones not on the afterlife test if there is one and its required to get a 100%... then again I hapily fail any test that I might be constantly able to retake. Why you might ask that i be happy? Simply because the question is perfectly implausable which means its a constant better to know you'll always fail but can try to succeed. Is much better than to succeed constantly and run out of questions... To know everything is to know absolutely nothing at all (another favorite).

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

Ok probably the best way to tackle this one is first to go back in time you could find yourself reassembled from your particles, as your particles make up the idea that is you (isn't lovely to be a physical metaphore) so to go back in time your particles would pretty much have to be possibly ripped from any previous state or form in that time and assembled to be you, not to mention that they would have to reflavor themselves from their current state to yours so possible dire consequences... like you know reassembling the past to format your future impossible and create intense amounts of chemical, nuclear, and atomic processes that release lots of energy or require it. This is why in my oppinion even if you went back in time its more plausible that it would be not that exact time but an alternate universe because you being there would be the altered particles that did not exist at that universal momment. So maybe she could go back and kill her grandmother befiore her birth but seeing as a ton of your information is genetic you might succeed in doing that just by traveling, and instead of killing your grandmother you would be killing your alternate grandmother and therefor the grandmother from your universe/demension could give birth to you just to alter the other demension. Which also makes coming back an alternate universe/demension/reality so effectively she would succeed at all the steps but fail at truely killing herself, just by the fact her matter is the matter of here and now which was there but different back then, and will be present but different in the future.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

Only if i prediposed the answer before you even asked the question, and even then you'ld have to blatently ignore the question the person asked so maybe it can be done but an ignorant to the question, psychic, and out right rude person would be required.. and honestly do we need anymore of them who say yes before they even know what their getting into...

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

I like my universe so lets not try this one haha, but if they did turn them on it would only be constant, and no one but something else taveling the speed of light would be able to see the result as to everyone else anything else slower you would be instantaneous in action a.k.a. they couldn't possibly see you turn the lights on they thought that is how it already was. I guess a better question is if you were traveling the speed of light and something traveling as neer the speed of light possible without being it could even register the action. So if you hit your head"lights" they could only posibly move at the same rate you are and would lovingly tear the universe to shreds as commented before by the fact that the car has mass with a big result of try not using friction to slow down... Cabhooom infinite explosion! Better keep on moving if you get there and there wont be much left after you pass by or stop.

well, you could also just as easily prove that God exists by that logic.

let us assume that there are two Gods. one is hypothetical, the other is real. God is defined as the ultimate being, that which is the most powerful being in existence. the God who truly exists is more powerful than the one who is hypothetical. And since God is the most powerful being in existence, therefore God must exist.

• 1 month later...

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

1. No clue

2. since it is the fountain of eternal life, you would have to quickly drink some of the water, then you would never die in any possible way, not even drowning, however, if you did not drink the water and instead breathed it in, then it would go into your lungs and stop the circulation of oxydised blood, thus drowning you.

3. Easy, no, since you do not accept the mission, you do not have to accept to not accepting the mission.

4. Many theories suggest that if you go into the past and change something, you do not change the future, you instead make a whole new universe were the action you made is in effect. So the girl's grandmother would still be very much alive when and if she came back to her time.

5. There is no scientific "twice as cold", it is just a saying that something is considerably colder.

6. Since I am typing and not talking, you would have to have a voice recording to prove that I said something. IE. Yes (while SAYING no)

7. To you, the light would be going at the speed of light because it is a constant.

8. God make a stone and promises to never pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. that's impossible, because if the bullet penetrates everything, it will also penetrate the armor, and if the armor stops everything, it will also stop the bullet; so they can't exist at the same time, because one would cancel the other.

2. he must drink some of it before drowning.

3. No. Mission accomplished.

4. She would still be there, but at the wrong time, with no parents or identity. Pretty sad for her.

5. You can just convert to kelvin, calclulate and convert back, technically it will be twice colder, or rather half as hot.

6. Paradox

7. Light going in the same direction (that of the car) would be trapped at its source, light going in any other direction will be reflected until it is completely absorbed by the headlight's not-infinitely-reflective surface.

8. It's essentially the same as the perfect bullet/armor question, if he can't lift the stone, he is not almighty, and if he is almighty, he can lift the stone.

Edited by Hachouma

"If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be?"

I know what you're thinking: The answer is 2 times 0 which is, of course, 0. And that would be a paradox. But the real answer lies in knowing what the temperature dropped to 0 from.

What was the temperature yesterday? If it was +20 degrees and went to 0 today, then the temperature dropped 20 degrees. Twice that is 40 degrees, meaning tomorrow's temperature will be -40 degrees.

Mathematically:

Let X represent yesterday's temperature. Let Y equal tomorrow's temperature.

X - X = 0

0 - 2X = Y

Nope, no paradox here. Just an incomplete formula. And it doesn't matter whether it's Celsius or Farenheit.

• 1 month later...

1. I don't know, but let's hope the arms war never gets to that point.

2. In the pictures, the fountain of youth always looks pretty shallow, and like it was said earlier on this page, you'd have to drink it, not breath it.

3. No. I have better things to do that stupid paradox missions. ^_^

4. A grandparent only accounts for 1/4 of someone's genes, or 'existence', so her appearance and organs would change, but she would still exist.

5. Anyone's guess. Weather men are almost always wrong.

6. Potato, Cats, random, enthusiastic. No. (Hey, you never gave me a time frame to answer the question!)

7.The other speed-of-light cars around you will be most grateful for the safety precaution and increased visibility.

8. I don't know how that would work, but if you keep going around like that, God will make a slightly lighter rock and drop it on your head. :P

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. The world will end as infinite amount of energy will release (Big bang). Or Infinte amount of heat or energy transfer will take place.

2.No.

3.Yes I accept the mission of never the accept the mission.

4.This explains why time travelling is not possible.

5.Less than 0°

In my opinion "twice as cold" doesn't mean "twice the temperature" as sometimes it will increase the temperature making it less colder. eg 32°F will give 64°F

6.This one is really confusing.

7. Headlight will break. or Headlight will glow but no one will able to see its light.

8. I have to think on this one.

Edited by Utkrisht123

1) For the bullet to penetrate anything, it must have the majority of the energy in the universe. Likewise for the armour that nothing can get through; it must have the majority of the energy. There can't be two majorities.

2) Either it is the fountain of youth which stops ageing but does not prevent death by accidents such as drowning, so yes, or it is prevents all death, so no.

3) I don't accept it. Oh, look, I completed it. Do I get credit anyway?

4) My resolutions to this temporal paradox:

a) The universe implodes

b) It is in a separate timeline distinct from the original but identical in every way up to the time travel but diverges them, any action there would not affect her as she came from this universe, they would only affect the girl in the other universe.

c) The laws of probability will warp as she gets close to killing her grandmother so that normally improbable events will occur more to ultimately prevent her from killing her

d) She ends up not being born but then is spontaneously called into existence with all the memories she would have had had she been born, specifically to use the time machine and kill her grandmother, then ceases to exist moments after.

5) Which is why weather people who say it will be twice as cold or twice as hot are stupid

6) It won't be.

7) Your car will cease to exist before reaching the speed of light as all it's matter will be converted to energy

8) Proof of the nonexistance of god. QED.

• 1 year later...

1. The bullet that penetrates any armor IS the armor that does not permit penetration. Nothing can pierce the armor of the bullet and thus stop it. The bullet wears the armor it cannot penetrate.

2. He may not be able to breathe, but does not drown. It is called TORTURE.

3. No.

4. No, because she has to kill all existences of the grandmother.

5. 0 degrees C or F?

6. AHAHAHAHAH. I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. N-O.

7. your car cannot go at the speed of light.

hmph.

God = fake in this challenge.

• 2 months later...

For number 3: The answer to this question is called an infinite regression because there is but isn't a definite answer for this. It's just like the Liar Paradox. The question asks that you or a man take on a mission in which he has to not accept the mission and if he would accept the mission. This is the infinite regression answer as follows:

(In first person perspective) If I accept the mission, then I am not accepting the mission, but if I am not accepting the mission, then I have already taken the mission, in which I haven't accepted the mission because I have just accepted the mission but because I have accepted the mission, I haven't accepted the mission, but I have accepted the mission by not accepting the mission, but.............

This answer goes on forever and doesn't stop which makes it an infinite regression answer.

• 5 months later...

Oooh I like the first one.

Okay, the way I see it is that the bullet will NOT get through the armor for the simple fact that the armor is absolutely bullet-proof whereas the bullet can get through "any" barrier... I'd rather go with the absolute option than the vague one.

As for the second one I'm gonna look on it with a spiritual concept and say that if you believe in any sort of afterlife then yes, the man can drown in the fountain of eternal life. He'll only die and then live on in the afterlife anyway.

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up!

Not a problem. God creates a pebble and then declares "I shall never pick it up". He is capable of lifting it, but can not break his promise. Conditions met.

Makes perfect sense. The bible says that God can never go against his Word which makes his Word more powerful than him. He can't break a promise, therefore he'd be bound by saying "I will never lift this stone."

He's fully capable, just bound by his own Word :)

#4 doesn't actually work. See, when the girl goes "into the past" she can literally time travel back a day or even an hour. Having her grandmother die a day before the circumstantial "today" doesn't change the course of history (possibly the future but not the past) and therefore either way the girl was never not born.

Edited by avie

• 2 weeks later...